*grumble* I can't find anyone who makes a bike like this...

Old November 10th 04, 08:57 PM
Maggie

Mark Hickey wrote in message . ..
(Maggie) wrote:

(Lobo Tommy) wrote in message m....

8) Solid Shimano Tiagra drive train

Is this English? How do you people know all this stuff?

We have no life.

Mark Hickey

I read this and almost choked on my coffee I was laughing so hard. I
think I spit my coffee all over my computer screen. Thank you for a
laugh in a otherwise stressful work day. :-)
http://hometown.aol.com/lbuset/
"The most wasted day of all is that during which we have not laughed."
Old November 10th 04, 10:34 PM
Actually34

Have you checked out the Trek 520? A dealer might swap out the saddle and
pedals.
Old November 10th 04, 11:33 PM
maxo

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 17:52:16 -0800, Lobo Tommy wrote:

Nice soft pedals for a variety of foot wear

I agree with the other posters that you should probably look into a nice
steel touring/cyclocross bike of some sort. I ride an old steel frame
racy tourer, with fairly fresh 36 spoke Mavic ma3 wheels and fenders--it
sure is nice to have a fairly fast bike, that's also weather resistant and
has bulletproof wheels.

For pedals I'd definitely recommend a classic, some high quality rubber
block pedals made in Germany. Comfy, even in bare feet, and bound to get a
comment or two combined with a fancy bike. :P

http://www.bikepartsusa.com/product_...ml?p=01-117885
Old November 11th 04, 05:11 PM
Steven M. Scharf

Lobo Tommy wrote:

Can anyone give me a hand? I'm having a tough time trying to find a
ready made off the shelf bicycle that has all these features. Some
manufacturers come close but are not quite there yet.

Take a look at the Raleigh C40 or Trek 7300 but...

1) Ditch the suspension seatpost and front shock
2) Replace typical crappy stock saddle with a Brooks springer
3) Exchange the Aluminum frame/fork for a Steel frame/fork
4) Make it super easy to add fenders and rear rack
5) 700c wheels, but super durable, preferably 36 spoke
6) No lights / electrical stuff on it
7) Nice soft pedals for a variety of foot wear
8) Solid Shimano Tiagra drive train

Anything close?

rivbike.com. The Romulus would be good if you can still find one, but
they appear to be discontinued. And it won't be cheap, since such a bike
is no longer mainstream, it's a specialty item.

Also check out the Fuji Touring, this is probably the best option for
you, just change the saddle.

I have to laugh at your statement "Some manufacturers come close but are
not quite there yet." The fact is that many manufacturers were
there--and left.

It’s too expensive to make a chromolloy frame bike any more, at least
for the mass market. Aluminum is much cheaper, and even though it isn't
the optimal frame material, it's good enough.