Cycling, Chess and IP Addresses

Old February 18th 10, 12:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
A. Dumas

Default Cycling, Chess and IP Addresses

MrVidmar wrote:
I'd say 99% of
professional chess players could care less about Olympic status.

So they DO care!! Oh Brian.
Old February 18th 10, 12:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
--D-y

On Feb 17, 4:39*pm, MrVidmar wrote:
The chess community is not happy about drug testing. *Some of the older
GMs, particularly Russian and Eastern European, are not happy because
they like to play while imbibing alcohol, sometimes a good amount as
evidenced in a tournament last year where a French national originally
from Eastern Europe was drunk and fell asleep at the board.

It was said that Karpov's orange juice toward the end of a long *game
would be spiked with amphetamine to clear his head and give him a boost.

The only reason drug testing is even considered is because the president
of FIDE wants to see Chess as an Olympic sport. I'd say 99% of
professional chess players could care less about Olympic status.

Delicious irony. Drug testing for athletes, but not for chess, even
when the objectives are *exactly* the same-- mood enhancement and/or
actual performance enhancement. Wow, what a double standard.

And "who needs the Olympics", IRT the whole wretched Dick Pound
continuum of "selling clean sport to advertisers", where the cycling-
and- doping mess really became a mess. Jeeze, Brian.

The more interesting area of drug use involves cognitive enhancement
drugs. *College kids use Ritalin and other drugs to increase
performance. *Chess players probably do as well. *There is also the
herbal Huperzine A which purportedly increases cognitive function. A few
years back there was a mini-scandal when the USCF president arranged a
sponsorship deal with a company that manufactures the substance.
Consider the Wiki summary below.

Sometimes "cheating" is only cheating when there are rules against
using certain substances.
Or when obtaining the substances requires a medical prescription and
the condition can't be "need to pass English 305".

Have they asked the chess players about their willingness to ingest
substances that will shorten their lifespans but enable them to be
successful chess players (can you get rich and famous and mate with
whomever you want as a top dog chess player?)

The bigger problem is the use of computers and micro electronic
communication devices hidden in the ear canal. That and going to the
bathroom to consult a smart phone chess engine or another person. *I
played a kid of maybe 11 years old in a tournament last year, who kept
getting up shortly after I would make a move. *The fourth time he did it
I followed him to the mens room where he was speaking with his father.
The TD made certain it did not happen again--and yes, I won the game
with mate in 24 or so moves.

That kid and his dad should get two years off and lifetime for any
further offenses.

But seriously, Brian: cheaters are everywhere. It's human nature.

The Fredrika's are quite interesting in chess, attractive, too. *If
you're in Boston next fall drop in at the Boston Blitz matches in the US
Chess League. *The Eastern Euro women hanging out during the games will
make the trip worth it. They play on the Harvard campus.
*http://boston-blitz.com/

Oh my god, this is like Tom Sherman telling me to start riding a bent
and I will attract more women!
(forgive me, Tom, it's just a line and I know you are a decent person
except for calling your bent a bicycle)

Begging the question, "Who sponsors the babes?"

Possible side effects may include breathing problems, tightness in the
throat or chest, chest pain, skin hives, rash, itchy or swollen skin,
upset stomach, diarrhea, vomiting, hyperactivity and insomnia.

Just hope you don't do the "all at once" thing!
--D-y

Old February 18th 10, 12:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MrVidmar

--D-y wrote:
[...]

FIDE, to the extent that it does drug testing, which is minimal, adheres
to the WADA rules and protocols for testing.

Cognitive enhancement is something of a gray area. I doubt Huperzine A
is on the WADA drug list, but it could easily be if WADA concluded that
it could enhance performance of athletes in any of the member
organization disciplines.

Have they asked the chess players about their willingness to ingest
substances that will shorten their lifespans but enable them to be
successful chess players (can you get rich and famous and mate with
whomever you want as a top dog chess player?)

Chess players have been substance abusers for years, particularly in
Europe. Lots of smoking and drinking, especially in Soviet times and
even now. The younger generation seems to be more health conscious.
There was an article in New In Chess about smoking and chess. Tal, for
example, was known to normally smoke two to three packs a day. During a
tournament or match game he would smoke three or four packs just during
the game. At the age of 50 he looked like an 80 year old and died young.

The bigger problem is the use of computers and micro electronic
communication devices hidden in the ear canal. That and going to the
bathroom to consult a smart phone chess engine or another person. I
played a kid of maybe 11 years old in a tournament last year, who kept
getting up shortly after I would make a move. The fourth time he did it
I followed him to the mens room where he was speaking with his father.
The TD made certain it did not happen again--and yes, I won the game
with mate in 24 or so moves.

That kid and his dad should get two years off and lifetime for any
further offenses.

There are chess parents just like there are soccer and hockey parents.
The pressure some of these kids are under to win at an early age,
especially Asian and Indian kids, is sad. Those parents should be banned
and in fact most scholastic tournaments now will not let parents into
the playing hall.

But seriously, Brian: cheaters are everywhere. It's human nature.

Yes, they are everywhere. Human nature is what it is.

The Fredrika's are quite interesting in chess, attractive, too. If
you're in Boston next fall drop in at the Boston Blitz matches in the US
Chess League. The Eastern Euro women hanging out during the games will
make the trip worth it. They play on the Harvard campus.
http://boston-blitz.com/

Oh my god, this is like Tom Sherman telling me to start riding a bent
and I will attract more women!
(forgive me, Tom, it's just a line and I know you are a decent person
except for calling your bent a bicycle)

Begging the question, "Who sponsors the babes?"

Come to Boston and ask them yourself. :-)

Old February 18th 10, 01:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

On Feb 17, 2:39*pm, MrVidmar wrote:

*I
played a kid of maybe 11 years old in a tournament last year, who kept
getting up shortly after I would make a move. *The fourth time he did it
I followed him to the mens room where he was speaking with his father.
The TD made certain it did not happen again--and yes, I won the game
with mate in 24 or so moves.

Wow, you beat an 11 year old? That's very impressive.
Old February 18th 10, 01:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
--D-y

On Feb 17, 6:53*pm, MrVidmar wrote:

Begging the question, "Who sponsors the babes?"

Come to Boston and ask them yourself. :-)

That sounds inviting.
--D-y
Old February 18th 10, 01:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default Landis Attempts Deflection

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 13:08:10 -0800 (PST), Henry
wrote:

cotton candy is quite substantial
when regurgitated

I'm getting the hang of this

This would be the 'Christ, I need to wash this crap down with bourbon'
method, which coincidentally, is where I am with the stuff.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old February 18th 10, 01:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 12:11:22 -0800, Michael Press
wrote:

Are you saying that these criminals and other such are
_getting_away_with_it? C'est la fin des haricots!

--
Michael Press

Reading between the lines, you sort of have to say that is the case.
Not much talk about catching them - beyond one moderate case a few
years ago - and a lot of talk about keeping them out. Amazing what
these incompetent hackers are managing to get away with.

'Course, within the U.S., they generally are going against the FBI at
the Fed level. My dad thought the FBI's primary ability was to pad its
stats with interstate car theft cases and even then, the rumor had it,
they were the ones most likely to catch the rednecks with torches
after the cars had already been cut to pieces. Local and state cops
had a remarkably low opinion of the Bureau.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Old February 18th 10, 01:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MrVidmar

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni. wrote:
On Feb 17, 2:39 pm, MrVidmar wrote:

played a kid of maybe 11 years old in a tournament last year, who kept
getting up shortly after I would make a move. The fourth time he did it
I followed him to the mens room where he was speaking with his father.
The TD made certain it did not happen again--and yes, I won the game
with mate in 24 or so moves.

Wow, you beat an 11 year old? That's very impressive.

And in another tournament I lost to an eight year old. That player is
now rated an expert. There are some very good eleven year old chess
players. There are 14 and 15 year old grandmasters. The top ranked
player right now, GM Magnus Carlsen of Norway, is only 19. Age has very
little to do with it, except that it is the young with flexible minds
who mature fastest as chess players. If you haven't begun serious study
and play by the age of six or seven, you really are at something of a
disadvantage.
Old February 18th 10, 02:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
DirtRoadie

On Feb 16, 8:35*am, MrVidmar wrote:
*As well as criminal action the Federal
statutes provide for a parallel civil cause of action with statutory
damages of $1 million for each instance of hacking. *

A cite please.
Thanks
DR