You ever been skelped by a belt on your bike?

Old May 9th 07, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thin veneer

Default You ever been skelped by a belt on your bike?

On 9 May, 18:32, Tony Raven wrote:
Paul Boyd wrote on 09/05/2007 18:24 +0100:

At the very least
he needs to change his routes - most of these assaults or advances seem
to keep happening in the same place.

In his mind?

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

Can we not let this be tha last word on this pointles thread? Don't
give this guy any more of you rprcious time?
The worst i have had is motorist coming up behind you and screaming in
you rear catching yo unawares.

Old May 9th 07, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_2_]

thin veneer wrote on 09/05/2007 18:54 +0100:

Can we not let this be tha last word on this pointles thread?

Ye....whoops, damn! ;-)

Old May 9th 07, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

Chris Johns wrote:
Ah yes, that's the answer, don't try to tackle the probem that the
streets are full of rather violent scum, no, that's too much effort -
move away from them and send the signal that violence works.

Why should he be forced to move? Why not try to actually fix the
problem instead? It's hardly suprising that kids (and adults) go
around terrorising the neighbours in this country when the best
solution we can come up with is "sod it, let them win".

Problem? David Chase getting skelped is a problem?

~PB

Old May 9th 07, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Niall Wallace

"Ambrose Nankivell" wrote in message
Tony Raven wrote:
I imagine its actually quite difficult if not impossible to do that with
a belt from a moving car. No room to swing it plus the differential
velocity makes it very difficult to hit the front of someone with a swung
belt.

I'm pretty sure the fictional assault referred to was done by a
pedestrian. But you can't be sure.

Wondering how its possible to whack someone in the chest with a belt when
cycling normally.
To crack the belt in such awsay that it enters the gap between arms and
chest must require some skill.

Unless the OP was cycling no hands at the time.

Niall

Old May 9th 07, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Helen Deborah Vecht

Paul Boyd typed

On 09/05/2007 17:15, Chris Johns said,

Ah yes, that's the answer, don't try to tackle the probem that the
streets are full of rather violent scum, no, that's too much effort -
move away from them and send the signal that violence works.

Have you read David's previous posts? It seems that every single thing
that could possibly happen to someone has happened to him. It's got to
the point where it's really not believable any more. At the very least
he needs to change his routes - most of these assaults or advances seem
to keep happening in the same place.

Try cycling in Glasgow, like the OP (who might have some troll-like
traits, I admit.)

In two years there, I had:

- A bicycle stolen in my first week
- My D-lock superglued
- My saddle and seat-post stolen (despite quick release replaced with
Releasy cam)
- My pedal stolen
- A drawing pin pushed into a tyre while I shopped at Safeway
- More intimidation on the roads than in other cities

At the time I lived in Glasgow, I had already gained over a dozen years
experience of adult cycling, so I wasn't inexperienced.

I still think it's a horrid place and am happily settled in London...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old May 10th 07, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
BigRab

I think that is unfair. I think the OP lives in Glasgow, which I found
*horrible* in many ways as a cyclist 18 years ago.

I suspect it's still horrible.

No Worries Helen, I've been cycling here for the past 30 years and I
can count on the fingers of one hand the problems I've had AND I
commute into the West End pretty much the same way as 'Nutter' Chase
and never seen him or his problems.

Traffic is pretty heavy but behaviour is no worse than anywhere else.

Cheers,
Robert

Old May 10th 07, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 10 May, 09:06, BigRab wrote:
I think that is unfair. I think the OP lives in Glasgow, which I found
*horrible* in many ways as a cyclist 18 years ago.

I suspect it's still horrible.

No Worries Helen, I've been cycling here for the past 30 years and I
can count on the fingers of one hand the problems I've had AND I
commute into the West End pretty much the same way as 'Nutter' Chase
and never seen him or his problems.

You try going from People's Palace in Glasgow Green to Carmyle any day
of the week.

What is a 'bike belt'? [email protected] General 13 September 2nd 05 04:14 PM
Belt Drives Tosspot UK 12 August 13th 05 08:41 AM
FS Accurex II with new t31 belt dwall Marketplace 1 March 9th 05 03:12 PM
SS Belt Drive? supabonbon Techniques 39 November 18th 04 09:53 PM
Another nearly-50 miles under the belt.. Velvet UK 12 June 29th 04 07:50 PM