Audax rides around Cairns

Old January 30th 10, 06:30 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter

Default Audax rides around Cairns

I have just done the basics of putting some maps together of a couple of
Audax rides around Cairns that I'd like to put on the calendar for
2010/11.

I live in Mackay, so I don't have all that much local knowledge. Could
someone from up that way please let me know if I've made any serious
blunders with these draft routes. I'd also appreciate any inside
knowledge you may have regarding alternative roads that may take people
away from traffic, especially in the urban areas at the end of the ride
(ie Gordonvale to Cairns).

The routes a
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Tablelands-300
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Tablelands-200

Thanks

Peter
Old January 30th 10, 06:44 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter

Peter wrote:

I have just done the basics of putting some maps together of a couple of
Audax rides around Cairns that I'd like to put on the calendar for
2010/11.

I live in Mackay, so I don't have all that much local knowledge. Could
someone from up that way please let me know if I've made any serious
blunders with these draft routes. I'd also appreciate any inside
knowledge you may have regarding alternative roads that may take people
away from traffic, especially in the urban areas at the end of the ride
(ie Gordonvale to Cairns).

The routes a
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Tablelands-300
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Tablelands-200

Thanks

Peter

Having just had a look at Google Street View of the Herberton Petford Rd
on the 300km route, I can see on big stuff up already. Single lane
gravel for quite a few km. Oh, well, back to the drawing board.
Old January 30th 10, 01:06 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

Peter wrote:
Peter wrote:

[...]

I am told that I am crazy to ride my bicycle around Sydney the way I do
- in the rain, in 43C heat, at night, etc etc but I reckon Audaxers are
crazier than me

Maybe one day I'll become crazier than I am today and become an Audaxer
Old January 30th 10, 07:39 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter

Geoff Lock glock@home wrote:
I am told that I am crazy to ride my bicycle around Sydney the way I do
- in the rain, in 43C heat, at night, etc etc but I reckon Audaxers are
crazier than me

Maybe one day I'll become crazier than I am today and become an Audaxer

Hi Geoff
It's easy to get involved. Just jump on the website audax.org.au and
check out the rides in the events section. Then let the organiser know
you are coming and pay your $10 (or whatever the entry fee is) on the
day. Generally costs are quite low and if you like riding in all
conditions then Audax is for you.

I've only done five Audax rides since I started in October last year.
But from what I have seen so far I would say it's a great way to see the
country and meet some interesting people along the way. Audax is not
racing, so there's generally a sense of comeraderie, especially when the
night settles in and there are still 200 kilometres to go. People
generally try to find a group (which is anything from two riders to
maybe five or six) that will be travelling at the same pace and stick
with them.

The only problem for me is that there are no Audax rides north of
Brisbane in Qld. So it looks as though I'm going to have to put quite a
few on the calendar myself, unless I want to fly several thousand
kilometres every time I want to enter an event. For you, that shouldn't
present a problem.

Peter
Old January 31st 10, 02:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

Peter wrote:
Geoff Lock glock@home wrote:
I am told that I am crazy to ride my bicycle around Sydney the way I do
- in the rain, in 43C heat, at night, etc etc but I reckon Audaxers are
crazier than me

Maybe one day I'll become crazier than I am today and become an Audaxer

you are coming and pay your $10 (or whatever the entry fee is) on the
day. Generally costs are quite low and if you like riding in all
conditions then Audax is for you.

Mate, I said, "one day I'll become crazier..." and today ain't the day
Git out of here!! What are you trying to get me into? )

I've only done five Audax rides since I started in October last year.
But from what I have seen so far I would say it's a great way to see the
country and meet some interesting people along the way. Audax is not
racing, so there's generally a sense of comeraderie, especially when the
night settles in and there are still 200 kilometres to go. People
generally try to find a group (which is anything from two riders to
maybe five or six) that will be travelling at the same pace and stick
with them.

Hm, 200kms to go and night is falling? I guess that means one would need
to carry some kind of camping equipment. This is starting to sound like
fun. I vaguely recall reading something on the Audax website about
rules which limit what one can carry, so I suppose it can become
somewhat of a challenge as to WHAT to bring along.

I did also notice on the website that some of their longer rides allow
for support vehicles, so I guess it does make the ride a bit easier.

The only problem for me is that there are no Audax rides north of
Brisbane in Qld. So it looks as though I'm going to have to put quite a
few on the calendar myself, unless I want to fly several thousand
kilometres every time I want to enter an event. For you, that shouldn't
present a problem.

You're keen, Pete, I'll say that much

I must confess though that after I read your opening post, and checked
out the Audax site, I started thinking that Canberra is only about 278
kms from where I am sitting Might drop in and say g'day to Kev and
Julie one of these days

More power to you Pete
Old January 31st 10, 05:04 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Kathy and Steve

Hi Peter
We live and ride on the Tablelands. I tried giving Bikely a go but the roads
we ride on dont appear. There are some terrific sealed roads off the highway
which is dangerous, no edges, 100kms suicide routes up here! Just a quick
look at your route for http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Tablelands-300
there are many roads between Atherton and Malanda / Millaa Millaa /
Ravenshoe which take in spectacular farming country, ridge top routes where
you are lucky to meet another car. Herberton to Petford is a great day out
if you ride a mountain bike as it is all unsealed and can be rough at
certain times of the year.
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Tablelands-300 is on the highways and
the ranges. The Gillies is a great ride, fairly safe as it is all bends and
unless you ride on a day when all the idiots are out on their motorbikes it
is pleasant either way.
The Kuranda???? NO way - crazy drivers, no edges, tourist route full of
idiots lol. The road from Atherton to Mareeba is seriously dangerous and
just ask anyone who used to ride it and they say they dont anymore. There is
a terrific circuit from Mareeeba through Chewko which brings you out at
Walkamin or better still you could ride from Mareeba, out to Arriga and back
via a place called Springmount, This also brings you out at Walkamin. From
Walkamin to Atherton your survival rate goes up but still a dangerous ++
road. Once in Atherton you can ride the back roads (sealed) all the way to
Herberton, Ravenshoe, Millaa, Malanda. I would suggest you start and finish
on the Southern Tablelands - some great rides. By the way - I cant see us
joining you - 300kms in one hit without a break????? Not for me.
kathy

Old January 31st 10, 05:10 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter

Geoff Lock glock@home wrote:
[...]

Fair enough. Sounded like you enjoy a challenge.

The other thing about Audax is there are rides as short as 35km if
that's more your style.
Old January 31st 10, 05:29 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter

"Kathy and Steve" wrote:
[...]
++
road. Once in Atherton you can ride the back roads (sealed) all the
way to
Herberton, Ravenshoe, Millaa, Malanda. I would suggest you start and
finish
on the Southern Tablelands - some great rides. By the way - I cant see
us
joining you - 300kms in one hit without a break????? Not for me.
kathy

Thanks for the info Kathy. I'll try to check out the routes you've
suggested on maps. It sounds like i'll have to do a bit of ground
truthing. Maybe there are a few separate loops that can make up a longer
ride.
Old January 31st 10, 07:26 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

Peter wrote:
Geoff Lock glock@home wrote:

More power to you Pete

Fair enough. Sounded like you enjoy a challenge.

NO! NO! Temptation! I must resist! I must resist!! I MUST RESIST!!!

The other thing about Audax is there are rides as short as 35km if
that's more your style.

Short rides can be fun as well. I should perhaps have a look at the ones
you mention, especially the ones around Sydney as some of those short
rides might have good scenery - I must learn to look a bit more at
scenery rather than the tarmac

My daily 30km ride (return) involves looking at tarmac all the time and
it can be really really really boring unless one plays little games to
keep oneself sharp and alive in peak hour traffic travelling at
70-90kph(?).
Old January 31st 10, 08:00 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Sun, 31 Jan 2010 18:26:27 +1100
Geoff Lock glock@home wrote:

My daily 30km ride (return) involves looking at tarmac all the time and
it can be really really really boring unless one plays little games to
keep oneself sharp and alive in peak hour traffic travelling at
70-90kph(?).

You need a recumbent you do!

A nice high racer two wheeled 'bent. fast, aero, good in traffic, very visible,
and you get to look around you instead of at the tarmac.

Oh, and magnificent Audax vehicles.

Zebee
- figuring Geoff should see the ride to Canberra to look at
FlyingFurniture's collection of 'bents for sale as a challenge.

I lied (Audax rides) MartinM UK 70 November 24th 05 01:20 PM
FA: Nike Cairns mtb shoes (11/45) M. Chandler Marketplace 0 February 25th 05 04:28 PM
Cairns Paul J Australia 1 July 14th 04 07:15 AM
Dawes Audax & Other new Audax bikes Malcolm UK 2 April 27th 04 06:58 PM
Nike Cairns Christopher Badrian Marketplace 0 October 22nd 03 05:54 AM