Audax rides around Cairns

Old February 2nd 10, 07:15 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Kathy and Steve

Default Audax rides around Cairns

Yep - Theresa Creek road forms part of the waterfall circuit and it too has
stunning scenery. There are just so many "country"roads up here. Cycling
paradise as long as you love hills!
Kathy

Old February 5th 10, 03:05 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter

Kathy and Steve wrote:

Yep - Theresa Creek road forms part of the waterfall circuit and it too has
stunning scenery. There are just so many "country"roads up here. Cycling
paradise as long as you love hills!
Kathy

That's great. I'll have to get up there asap and have a look around.

Old February 14th 10, 11:41 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter

Peter wrote:

Kathy and Steve wrote:

Yep - Theresa Creek road forms part of the waterfall circuit and it too has
stunning scenery. There are just so many "country"roads up here. Cycling
paradise as long as you love hills!
Kathy

That's great. I'll have to get up there asap and have a look around.

I have re=examined the maps and think I have a couple of reasonable
alternatives based on your advice Kathy. They are on bikely as:
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Tablelands-300 and
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Tablelands-300-2

I'm going to drive up on the Anzac day long weekend and drive/ride the
routes (well ride one of them anyway).

I'm inclined towards second option via Port Douglas because the scenery
should be fantastic and there's less climbing. I'm hoping that between
5am and 8am on a Sunday morning the traffic shouldn't be too bad on the
Captain Cook Hwy. By 8am most people would have arrived in Port Douglas.
My main concern is the section between Mt Molloy and Mareeba. There
doesn't appear to be an alternative but it does have a shoulder all the
way from what I can see.

The other route is more or less straight up the Gillies Range and back.
It has about 1000m more climbing for the day but has that beautiful
section of the Palmerston Hwy before Ravenshoe.

What do you think?

Peter

I lied (Audax rides) MartinM UK 70 November 24th 05 01:20 PM
FA: Nike Cairns mtb shoes (11/45) M. Chandler Marketplace 0 February 25th 05 04:28 PM
Cairns Paul J Australia 1 July 14th 04 07:15 AM
Dawes Audax & Other new Audax bikes Malcolm UK 2 April 27th 04 06:58 PM
Nike Cairns Christopher Badrian Marketplace 0 October 22nd 03 05:54 AM