Useful bicycle touring sites

Old February 10th 10, 12:56 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Derek[_5_]

Default Useful bicycle touring sites

Hi,

My wife and I have almost finished a year long cycling honeymoon. We
cycled through Vietnam and China, caught a train through Russia, then
cycled again in Europe then Argentina and Chile. I thought I'd share a
couple of the websites that we found useful.

We used the first to research places to ride. The site is
crazyguyonabike and is mostly a collection of people's touring blogs
but also includes some gear reviews and discussions. We found it
useful for getting ideas of where to ride and it really helped built
up the excitement levels as we followed other people's journeys! We
have a journal on the site too at:
www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/derekandliz

The second site that made our life in Europe so much better was Warm
Showers. It is a hospitality site for cycle tourists i.e. like
couchsurfing but only for cyclists. Essentially, people offer a place
to stay (whether that's a couch, a bed, floor space or even lawn space
for camping) and you contact them asking if you can stay. We loved the
Warm Showers experience, not only because it made our trip affordable
(how people can afford to backpack and stay in hostels in Europe I
don't know!), but because of the help from other cyclists. Staying
with cyclists (many of whom were touring cyclists) immediately gives a
shared interest that you don't always find with couchsurfing. Other
cyclists also appreciate that you've been riding, are tired and would
love to have a shower and put on some clean clothes before settling in
to discuss your respective life histories! Getting ideas about where
to ride next or what roads to take getting there was one of the best
parts of Warm Showers. And of course staying with locals, learning
some local tales, local interpretations, being able to ask questions
about the strange things we'd seen... It was altogether a great
experience.

The Warm Showers site is www.warmshowers.org.

Hope somebody finds those sites useful and it inspires them to go
touring or just to host a few weary touring cyclists.

Derek
Old February 13th 10, 05:42 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter

Derek wrote:

[...]

Your journey is very inspirational. The more I ride, the more I think
it's time we found a way to down tools in this crazy part of the world
for a while and venture out into the unknown. Thanks for the website
tip.

We've been members of warm showers for years. Although I've never used
it for accommodation, it has been great to meet lots of fellow cyclists
travelling around Australia and the world as they pass through Mackay.
I'd recommend it to anyone with a spare bit of space to share.

Peter
Old February 13th 10, 08:11 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Promotions Galore

"Derek" wrote in message
[...]

Why not give this site a chance also.
Certainly the fastest grow cycling forum in the last year.
Why not register and join a great, likeminded group of people.

Visit http://cyclocamping.com you will not be dissappointed.

Old February 16th 10, 02:13 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc[_2_]

Promotions Galore wrote:

Why not give this site a chance also.

Lol, congrats Derek, you've trolled a troll.