just broke another frame...

Old December 12th 03, 07:04 PM
Ric

Default just broke another frame...

I just broke the frame on my aluminium MTB. The top tube has snapped all
around the the weld with the headstock. Is it worth getting this welded back
together?

I broke my titanium framed road bike about a month ago and it is still not
back from warranty repair so not too happy.

Old December 12th 03, 08:43 PM
A.lee

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 20:04:24 +0100, Ric wrote:

I just broke the frame on my aluminium MTB. The top tube has snapped all
around the the weld with the headstock. Is it worth getting this welded back
together?

No,it'll just make it weaker at that point, if its possible to weld at all.
Depending on make and age, a lot of manufacturers offer a good warranty
on frames, maybe ring the makers to find out?

I broke my titanium framed road bike about a month ago and it is still not
back from warranty repair so not too happy.

What are you doing to bend frames?
I've raced off road for over 5 years now, and can only recall seeing
around 5 broken frames in all that time.
Alan.
--
To reply by e-mail, change the 'minus' to 'plus'.
http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road cycling in the North Midlands.
Old December 12th 03, 11:05 PM
Simon Brooke

"Ric" writes:

I just broke the frame on my aluminium MTB. The top tube has snapped all
around the the weld with the headstock. Is it worth getting this welded back
together?

Two questions:

What make? If it's a reputable make there may be some chance of
getting a new frame under warranty, or at least at a very substantial
discount.

What are you doing to break frames? I mean, it's possible that you're
just unlucky, but frames are on the whole pretty hard to
break. Possibly you need to consider changes to your riding style?

Anagram: I'm soon broke.
Old December 12th 03, 11:26 PM
Andy

"Simon Brooke" wrote in message
. uk...
"Ric" writes:

Possibly you need to consider changes to your riding style?

Or lose a whole load of lard.

Old December 13th 03, 07:57 AM
Ric

"Ric" writes:

Possibly you need to consider changes to your riding style?

Or lose a whole load of lard.

Well that's a bit of a nasty assumption - I'm actually perfect weight for my
height according to BMA.

Old December 13th 03, 08:08 AM
Ric

"Ric" writes:

?

Two questions:

What make? If it's a reputable make there may be some chance of
getting a new frame under warranty, or at least at a very substantial
discount.

Mercedes bike (don't laugh - terrible mistake buying it). I suspect you are
right that they will replace it or fix it if I complain enough. But it will
be a lot of stress and hassle arguing with them and even if they agree to
fix it it will be a minimum of six-eight weeks away (it has already had two
warranty repairs). It would be a whole lot less stress-free just to get it
welded back together if there was a chance of it being strong enough.

What are you doing to break frames? I mean, it's possible that you're
just unlucky, but frames are on the whole pretty hard to
break. Possibly you need to consider changes to your riding style?

I think it may be because of my height. I'm 1.95m which is not particularly
tall by modern standards but nevertheless it is hard to buy off the peg
bikes that are really big enough for me so I have to have a long seat post
on all my bikes. I think the long seat post on my Mercedes bike put to big a
leverage on the tube at the headstock. Even my titanium frame bike needed a
long seat post even though it was made to measure, because the builder said
that otherwise the flex in the frame would be too difficult to control. That
one broke down at the pedal crank. I think an exacerbating factor is that I
live in a very hilly area, and use my bikes to carry shopping etc, so the
frames are having to support larger than normal torque loads.

By the way you seem to have disappeared off uk.rec.sailing - I can
understand why!

Old December 13th 03, 09:51 AM
Richard Goodman

"Ric" wrote in message
bikes that are really big enough for me so I have to have a long seat post
on all my bikes. I think the long seat post on my Mercedes bike put to big

leverage on the tube at the headstock. Even my titanium frame bike needed

long seat post even though it was made to measure, because the builder

said
that otherwise the flex in the frame would be too difficult to control.

That
one broke down at the pedal crank. I think an exacerbating factor is that

live in a very hilly area, and use my bikes to carry shopping etc, so the
frames are having to support larger than normal torque loads.

Aha. So maybe your next bike should be a custom steel-framed tourer. Could
save money in the long run....;-).

Rich

Old December 13th 03, 10:08 AM
Ric

"Richard Goodman" wrote in message

Aha. So maybe your next bike should be a custom steel-framed tourer.

Could
save money in the long run....;-).

Yes I already have one - a big black German one. I'd be really unhappy and
amazed if I managed to break that!

Old December 13th 03, 10:26 AM
Zog The Undeniable

Ric wrote:
I just broke the frame on my aluminium MTB. The top tube has snapped all
around the the weld with the headstock. Is it worth getting this welded back
together?

No. Doesn't it have a lifetime warranty?

I broke my titanium framed road bike about a month ago and it is still not
back from warranty repair so not too happy.

Do you jump a lot?

Old December 13th 03, 10:27 AM
Zog The Undeniable

Ric wrote:

I think it may be because of my height. I'm 1.95m which is not particularly
tall by modern standards but nevertheless it is hard to buy off the peg
bikes that are really big enough for me so I have to have a long seat post
on all my bikes. I think the long seat post on my Mercedes bike put to big a
leverage on the tube at the headstock.

Pretty unlikely. I think it was just a duff frame.

FS: 63cm Italian road/touring frame, 1980's, BEAUTIFUL!! ccrider Marketplace 1 March 11th 04 01:00 PM
Team vs Strada mjbass Recumbent Biking 43 January 5th 04 03:28 AM
Carbon frame intregrity after accident Jürgen Hartwig Techniques 37 November 6th 03 02:32 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
Custom Unicycles - Why? JJuggle Unicycling 10 August 26th 03 12:41 AM