Cycle parking at stations

Old January 28th 04, 12:37 PM
Jack Tyson

Default Cycle parking at stations

Apologies for the cross-post but I felt this was relevant to both
groups.

I want to cycle to Vauxhall or Waterloo to pick up a train, on a daily
basis, and I wondered if anyone could comment on the cycle parking at
these stations.

Waterloo Station has official cycle parking - what's it like? Are
there usually spaces? Is it free? How secure is it?

Vauxhall Station has no official cycle parking. Is there anything
suitable nearby? How secure is it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

--
Jack
Old January 28th 04, 01:35 PM
Pete Biggs

Jack Tyson wrote:
Waterloo Station has official cycle parking - what's it like? Are
there usually spaces? Is it free? How secure is it?

There are free cycle parking stands outside Waterloo (can't remember if
covered or not). I've not used them regularly but have managed to find a
space even in peak times when scores of bikes are locked up there. Only
security is safety in numbers - your bike is not likely to get nicked or
tampered with if it looks poorer than average!

There may be some additional secure facicilities for all I know.
Hopefully a regular user of the station will fill you in more.

~PB

Old January 28th 04, 01:40 PM
Tony Raven

Jack Tyson wrote:
Apologies for the cross-post but I felt this was relevant to both
groups.

I want to cycle to Vauxhall or Waterloo to pick up a train, on a daily
basis, and I wondered if anyone could comment on the cycle parking at
these stations.

Waterloo Station has official cycle parking - what's it like? Are
there usually spaces? Is it free? How secure is it?

Vauxhall Station has no official cycle parking. Is there anything
suitable nearby? How secure is it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

You need to visit http://www.bike-n-rack.mcmail.com/ for details of secure
cycle parking at Waterloo and Victoria Stations

Tony

Old January 28th 04, 01:53 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

"Jack Tyson" wrote in message

I want to cycle to Vauxhall or Waterloo to pick up a train, on a daily
basis, and I wondered if anyone could comment on the cycle parking at
these stations.

Say goodbye to station bike parking misery with New, Improved Brompton!

http://www.bromptonbicycle.co.uk/

--
Guy
===

http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old January 28th 04, 03:11 PM
Pete Biggs

You need to visit http://www.bike-n-rack.mcmail.com/ for details of
secure cycle parking at Waterloo and Victoria Stations

Looks good but at £34 per month it would be cheaper to buy an extra hack
bike.

~PB

Old January 28th 04, 03:20 PM
Jack Tyson

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 13:35:45 -0000, "Pete Biggs"
wrote:

Jack Tyson wrote:
Waterloo Station has official cycle parking - what's it like? Are
there usually spaces? Is it free? How secure is it?

There are free cycle parking stands outside Waterloo (can't remember if
covered or not). I've not used them regularly but have managed to find a
space even in peak times when scores of bikes are locked up there. Only
security is safety in numbers - your bike is not likely to get nicked or
tampered with if it looks poorer than average!

Hmm. I've got one of these
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/product/400/586464b.jpg

Cost £200.

Would you say it's likely to look better or poorer than average?

If better, any tips on easily-reversible ways to make it look
rubbish..?

--
Jack
Old January 28th 04, 03:21 PM
Jack Tyson

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 15:11:36 -0000, "Pete Biggs"
wrote:

You need to visit http://www.bike-n-rack.mcmail.com/ for details of
secure cycle parking at Waterloo and Victoria Stations

Looks good but at £34 per month it would be cheaper to buy an extra hack
bike.

I agree, it's quite pricey. Might try a week for £9 until I work up
the courage to chance it with the free stands!

--
Jack
Old January 28th 04, 03:21 PM
Jack Tyson

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 13:53:35 -0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:

"Jack Tyson" wrote in message

I want to cycle to Vauxhall or Waterloo to pick up a train, on a daily
basis, and I wondered if anyone could comment on the cycle parking at
these stations.

Say goodbye to station bike parking misery with New, Improved Brompton!

http://www.bromptonbicycle.co.uk/

Ah, if only I could justify/afford the expense!

--
Jack
Old January 28th 04, 03:51 PM
Pete Biggs

Jack Tyson wrote:

...........Only security is safety in numbers - your bike is not
likely to get nicked or tampered with if it looks poorer than
average!

Hmm. I've got one of these
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/product/400/586464b.jpg Cost £200.

Would you say it's likely to look better or poorer than average?

Looks nice enough but is only of average quality, really - which the
theives will know. I think it'll be alright.

If better, any tips on easily-reversible ways to make it look
rubbish..?

Leave some dirt on. Tape wraped around frame is a common ploy but then
people might then think the frame is better than it is! :-)

If quick release wheels instead of nutted, the skewers could be replaced
with security skewers that require a separate special key to operate.
Same kind of thing can be done with seatpost (depending on what fastening
system your bike can take).
I recommend these:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=3656547117

Replacing Allen bolts with Torx bolts (as mention a few weeks ago on this
newsgroup) could help for other parts.

Good d-lock (eg. Kryptonite) and perhaps a cable lock in addition for the
wheels or frame.

~PB

Old January 28th 04, 04:01 PM
Tony Raven

Pete Biggs wrote:

Looks nice enough but is only of average quality, really - which the
theives will know. I think it'll be alright.

Leave some dirt on. Tape wraped around frame is a common ploy but then
people might then think the frame is better than it is! :-)

If quick release wheels instead of nutted, the skewers could be replaced
with security skewers that require a separate special key to operate.
Same kind of thing can be done with seatpost (depending on what fastening
system your bike can take).
I recommend these:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=3656547117

Replacing Allen bolts with Torx bolts (as mention a few weeks ago on this
newsgroup) could help for other parts.

Good d-lock (eg. Kryptonite) and perhaps a cable lock in addition for the
wheels or frame.

And what do you suggest for stopping the wheels getting bent, let down or
slashed overnight along with all the other usual damage created by the
terminally bored or frustrated?

Tony

CTC Railway station Cycle Parking Survey Chris Gerhard UK 6 October 2nd 03 02:37 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
cycle parking Robert Bruce UK 8 July 29th 03 10:27 PM