Hell hath no fury like a splashed cyclist!

Old March 25th 04, 09:52 AM
nobody760

Default Hell hath no fury like a splashed cyclist!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...et/3565633.stm

Old March 25th 04, 07:04 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 09:52:31 -0000, "nobody760"
wrote in message
:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...et/3565633.stm

Damaging /cars?/ I confidently predict a prison sentence of at least
12 months longer than a car driver gets for killing a cyclist - i.e.
at least 12 months.

--
Guy
===

Old March 25th 04, 10:43 PM
Ambrose Nankivell

In ,
Just zis Guy, you know? typed:
wrote in message
:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...et/3565633.stm

Damaging /cars?/ I confidently predict a prison sentence of at least
12 months longer than a car driver gets for killing a cyclist - i.e.
at least 12 months.

I was pleasantly surprised that the front cover of the Metro yesterday was
outrage at someone who didn't get a prison sentence for a collision in which
3 people were killed. (He was charged with DWDCA for driving on the wrong
side of the road, just having finished a phone call, after 4 bottles of beer
(but not over the limit), at 60mph in a 40 zone) So at least some of the
media acknowledges that people are being killed unnecessarily.

Old March 26th 04, 03:34 AM
Gawnsoft

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 22:43:06 -0000, "Ambrose Nankivell"
wrote (more or less):

In ,
Just zis Guy, you know? typed:
wrote in message
:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...et/3565633.stm

Damaging /cars?/ I confidently predict a prison sentence of at least
12 months longer than a car driver gets for killing a cyclist - i.e.
at least 12 months.

I was pleasantly surprised that the front cover of the Metro yesterday was
outrage at someone who didn't get a prison sentence for a collision in which
3 people were killed. (He was charged with DWDCA for driving on the wrong
side of the road, just having finished a phone call, after 4 bottles of beer
(but not over the limit), at 60mph in a 40 zone) So at least some of the
media acknowledges that people are being killed unnecessarily.

The Daily Telegraph devoted most of a page to it, too.

The last time I bought a Telegraph (about a month ago) the Motoring
section(!) had a columnist saying we really ought to cut down on the
school run as that's what's creating the traffic that we feel we need
to protect our kids from by driving them to school.

At this rate, they'll be creeping into a pro-cyclist editorial stance
by this time next year!

Cheers,
Euan
Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr
Old March 26th 04, 09:19 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

"Gawnsoft" wrote in
message ...

The last time I bought a Telegraph (about a month ago) the Motoring
section(!) had a columnist saying we really ought to cut down on the
school run as that's what's creating the traffic that we feel we need
to protect our kids from by driving them to school.

Amen to that. I just wish the penny would drop on a wider scale - for
example, who is creating the traffic which people complain makes it slower
to drive than it would be to cycle or walk, and what is the obvious
solution?

--
Guy
===

Old March 26th 04, 10:43 AM
W K

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
"Gawnsoft" wrote in
message ...

The last time I bought a Telegraph (about a month ago) the Motoring
section(!) had a columnist saying we really ought to cut down on the
school run as that's what's creating the traffic that we feel we need
to protect our kids from by driving them to school.

Amen to that. I just wish the penny would drop on a wider scale - for
example, who is creating the traffic which people complain makes it slower
to drive than it would be to cycle or walk, and what is the obvious
solution?

To knock down half the buildings in city centres to make more roads.
This would have a twofold effect - by making the town centre so ****ty noone
would want to work/live/go there.

Old March 26th 04, 03:23 PM
Simonb

W K wrote:

To knock down half the buildings in city centres to make more roads.
This would have a twofold effect - by making the town centre so
****ty noone would want to work/live/go there.

Now you're being ridiculous! I've never heard such rubbish.

Old March 26th 04, 03:37 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

"Simonb" wrote in message
.. .

To knock down half the buildings in city centres to make more roads.
This would have a twofold effect - by making the town centre so
****ty noone would want to work/live/go there.

Now you're being ridiculous! I've never heard such rubbish.

Robert Hooke suggested this in 1667. These days it is more convenient to
blame the Government for the fact that Wren won that particular argument.

--
Guy
===

Old March 26th 04, 04:56 PM
Dave Kahn

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message ...

Amen to that. I just wish the penny would drop on a wider scale - for
example, who is creating the traffic which people complain makes it slower
to drive than it would be to cycle or walk, and what is the obvious
solution?

Everybody else. It's the paradox of mass action.

--
Dave...
Old March 27th 04, 09:01 PM
DavidR

"Gawnsoft" wrote

The last time I bought a Telegraph (about a month ago) the Motoring
section(!) had a columnist saying we really ought to cut down on the
school run as that's what's creating the traffic that we feel we need
to protect our kids from by driving them to school.

This was on the AutoExpress site on Tuesday 23rd March 2004

School Run Hits Kids' Road Safety

The school run is having an unintended knock-on effect on children's
knowledge of road safety. A new survey by the cereal Ready Brek has found
that youngsters regularly driven to school have impaired safety skills.

A spokeswoman said: "They don't get the road experience or develop the
awareness of those who walk or cycle. Many can't judge distance or speeds."