Hit gravel, broke leg

Old June 21st 05, 12:31 PM
Buck

On 06/21/2005 10:18:14 "Jeff Grippe" jeff@door7 wrote:

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

Jeff Grippe tells me that he is of Polish ancestry. Does Grippe sound
Polish to you?

Well this is where your various built in bias fail you Ed.

Grippe is my step-father's name acquired by me when I was ten. I only use
the word "step-father" to describe the relationship technically. He is my
Dad. He is the best Dad I could ever hope for and I wear his name proudly
and with love and fondness give it to my son as well. He does not,
however, have a drop of Polish blood in him.

My Mother's family, with whom I am very close, is from Poland. So
regardless of what I call myself, I am Polish.

You probably don't know about the Jewish Ferguson's do you?

I work on the principle that you are the nationality of the country in
which you are born.

--

Buck

I would rather be out on my Catrike

http://www.catrike.co.uk
Old June 21st 05, 01:06 PM
Tim

On 2005-06-21, Peter Clinch wrote:
Zenin wrote:

BTW, it's completely possible Peter kill filed you. But it's just as
likely he kill filed this thread, not individual people. So "the real
question" is why do you jump to the conclusion that it's all about you?

I've got anything Ed posts automatically marked as read, and I usually
only show unread posts, so Ed's are effectively killed. No problem,
since he rarely posts anything worth reading (though he does
occasionally, as I see from quoted replies from others). Since Ed posts
into so many threads it doesn't make much sense to kill anything he
posts into, or a.r.b.r would effectively disappear.

Compare and contrast with Mike Vandeman on other groups, where he only
posts on a single "topic" and none of it is worth reading, including
considered replies. In his case, any thread he posts to is marked as
read and I don't see it.

[trim]

I have idly wondered whether Ed Dolan and Mike Vandeman may be
the same person. They do seem to have certain traits in common.
--
Tim.
Old June 21st 05, 01:11 PM
Dave Larrington

Buck wrote:

I work on the principle that you are the nationality of the country in
which you are born.

That makes Dr. Larrington Libyan. Mr. Clarke!

Dead journalists make excellent objets d'art.

Old June 21st 05, 01:31 PM
Buck

On 06/21/2005 13:11:21 "Dave Larrington" wrote:

Buck wrote:

I work on the principle that you are the nationality of the country in
which you are born.

That makes Dr. Larrington Libyan. Mr. Clarke!

And me Syrian, like my Father, but he adopted a British surname, to make life
easier for us kids, he served in the British airforce.

Old June 21st 05, 01:51 PM
Jon Meinecke

With apparent regard to the inimitable Minnesotan's master
baiting...

"Slugger" wrote

Troll bait for anyone hungry enough. burp.

Yes, bait choices are telling. Horse crap as bait is not
really very novel or tasty. Its use inevitably leads to a
certain sort of commentary and "playing out" of the line
and exposes the character of the fishermen.

All posts are trolls for response. The quality of the bait
and the technique of the fisherman vary. Some here seem
to have a preference for fishing with dynamite or chumming
the waters with inflammatory and fallacious posts. Some
by their destructive actions make the fishing unattractive to
others who seek better/different waters. Many who remain
learn to ignore the bottom-feeder baiting, however.

As for who's on first, I don't know what's his name...

Tom:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...a7ef713f?hl=en

Jon:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...eea4ee18?hl=en

My first ARBR posts were in '98. For more than a decade
prior to that, my fishing technique was already shaped by net.ranger
and others, mainly in comp.* and rec.backcountry USENET
newsgroups. Predating "the Internet," I had UUCP-based
NNTP feeds and '!'-chained email addresses.

Jon Meinecke
net.subtle-apteryx

Old June 21st 05, 02:05 PM
Jeff Grippe

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

That is all very good, but we still don't know your Polish name. How can
you be Polish if you do not have a Polish name?

Eddie you do say some silly things. I said my Mother's family was Polish. I
don't have a "Polish" name. I have one name, Jeff Grippe. I don't use any
other names or aliases. I don't have a Polish or any other type of name for
that matter. Even the name I was born with (Russian) sounds French and not
Eastern European. You can thank the good people of Ellis Island for that.

In short Ed, you can tell nothing about me from my name other than the fact
that it is my name. I only called you Irish because you said you were in an
earlier post.

If you really knew books as well as you say you do you'd understand the
book/cover distinction a bit differently.

As to Ferguson, it is not a Jewish name at all but rather an Irish one.
However, there is a word in Yiddish that sounds a like Ferguson. The word in
Yiddish means "I Forget" or "I Forgot". There were many Jews who came over
at the turn of the last century that were taught how to write their names
before leaving but couldn't remember once they got here. When asked to write
their names at Ellis Island many of them responded in Yiddish saying "I
Forgot". The clerks wrote down Ferguson as there were also many Irish coming
over at that time and it was not an uncommonly heard name. The result is
that in New York there is a large Eastern European Jewish Ferguson clan and
a large Irish Catholic Ferguson clan. I am fortunate to have friends in
both.

So once again, the bottom line here is that you can tell little by someones
name unless they provide you with additional information. This being the
internet, "Jeff Grippe" could be a 10 year old girl (I'm not but it is
possible).

Jeff

Old June 21st 05, 02:22 PM
Jeff Grippe

Regarding your previous message, easily accessible by simply reading it or
remembering it:

Well Ed if you don't understand what I'm talking about then why did you even
respond?

I don't kill file anyone. I don't even know how to do it in OE and I have no
intention of finding out. Please don't anyone reply with instructions. If I
need to know I'm sure it is trivial.

I did not say that "Following rules on how to post are for jerks" but rather
that I was free to follow them or not. I have never heald myself up as the
example to follow nor have I told you that you must do it a certain way. I
don't work that way as you should know by this point.

FORM and CONTENT (Ed's capitalizations)

Ed, for someone who at times appears fairly sophisticated about language you
do equivocate when it suits your purposes. When we were talking about
generalizations you correctly identified the aspect of them which makes them
most useful, which is the encapsulation of many traits into a single
concept. I pointed out (and you didn't bother to disagree) that they fall
apart at the level of the invidual.

As to form and content, you said "Like it is possible to separate one from
the other!". Obviously they can be separated. They are different and
distinct concepts. The same content can be put into many different forms.
The same form can be used to express a variety of content. You are trying to
invalidate my entire arguement by simply saying that it isn't possible to
separate them. Its pretty clear that language has separated them for me. The
concepts exist clear and distinct.

Who understands what I am blathering about

Anyone who doesn't understand me is free to ask for clarification or
complain about my writing style. So far the complaints have been limited to
you and I've already told you that it isn't a complaint I plan to act on. So
you must either stop reading my posts or at least stop responding. Should
you choose to respond, however, you should do it knowing that there is at
least a 50/50 chance of getting a response back whose form you will not
like.

Old June 22nd 05, 08:31 PM
the brook

Funny, the thread started as Hit Gravel, Broke leg.

Since then, of the 159 posts, 63 were by Dolan and the others are
people responding to his diatribe.

I know Dolan doesn't give a damn, but don't the others realise that by
responding to him, they're part of the reason many people have left
this group?

Enough already with this crap! Time to move on to some other subject.

The brook

Old June 22nd 05, 11:01 PM
Edward Dolan

"Jon Meinecke" wrote in message
news:1119358213.46072a0596008f3a8f1724e52b71e1f3@t eranews...
With apparent regard to the inimitable Minnesotan's master
baiting...

Jon Meinecke would be right at home over on the Aussie cycling group. They
are into obscenities big time too, just like Meinecke. But the other Ed was
also his cup of tea in this regard. Birds of a feather should flock
together.

"Slugger" wrote

Troll bait for anyone hungry enough. burp.

Yes, bait choices are telling. Horse crap as bait is not
really very novel or tasty. Its use inevitably leads to a
certain sort of commentary and "playing out" of the line
and exposes the character of the fishermen.

Another big time Meinecke obsession. Excrement and sexual innuendo. They go
together in Meinecke's mind. Look for one and you will find the other. Kind
of like salt and pepper. Excrement and sexual innuendo. Now we know why
Meinecke did not find the other Ed objectionable.

All posts are trolls for response. The quality of the bait
and the technique of the fisherman vary. Some here seem
to have a preference for fishing with dynamite or chumming
the waters with inflammatory and fallacious posts. Some
by their destructive actions make the fishing unattractive to
others who seek better/different waters. Many who remain
learn to ignore the bottom-feeder baiting, however.

And some like Meinecke bait with allusions to excrement and sexual innuendo.
He is the ultimate bottom-feeder I would say.

As for who's on first, I don't know what's his name...

Tom:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...a7ef713f?hl=en

Jon:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...eea4ee18?hl=en

Only a complete fool would bother going to a link of Meinecke's. It is
probably all about excrement and sexual innuendo since that is what he is
all about.

My first ARBR posts were in '98. For more than a decade
prior to that, my fishing technique was already shaped by net.ranger
and others, mainly in comp.* and rec.backcountry USENET
newsgroups. Predating "the Internet," I had UUCP-based
NNTP feeds and '!'-chained email addresses.

In other words, he has been around long enough to know better, but has
become senile and is now into nothing but excrement and sexual innuendo. I
think he must be having trouble with both his bowel and his private organ as
that is invariably the case with those who become obsessed with excrement
and sexual innuendo.

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Old June 22nd 05, 11:19 PM
Edward Dolan

"Jeff Grippe" wrote in message

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

That is all very good, but we still don't know your Polish name. How can
you be Polish if you do not have a Polish name?

Eddie you do say some silly things. I said my Mother's family was Polish.
I don't have a "Polish" name. I have one name, Jeff Grippe. I don't use
any other names or aliases. I don't have a Polish or any other type of
name for that matter. Even the name I was born with (Russian) sounds
French and not Eastern European. You can thank the good people of Ellis
Island for that.

[...]

So once again, the bottom line here is that you can tell little by
someones name unless they provide you with additional information. This
being the internet, "Jeff Grippe" could be a 10 year old girl (I'm not but
it is possible).

Well, if you do not have a Polish name, then you are not Polish. It may be
that your mother has a Polish name and so she is Polish, but you aren't. You
are only at best half Polish. Are you Roman Catholic like most Poles or did
you misplace that too?

Do names matter? You bet they do! If you had a Polish name during the Nazi
conquest, that was one thing. If you had a Jewish name during the Nazi
conquest, that was another thing. It was the difference between life and
death. Names mattered in Old Europe and they still do today. Names matter
everywhere in the world and the minute you don't think so is the minute that
you will be regarded as a fool.

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota