Stripped second set of cranks in a row - what can help?

Old August 7th 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
revel

Default Stripped second set of cranks in a row - what can help?

Hi, I have a Nimbus Trials unicycle. I bought the thing and have ridden
it with stock parts very very hard for about a couple of years. I did
not have to touch anything. The unicycle saw some heavy use and abuse
on the mountains and doing (attempting to do) tricks for a long period
of time. Then i moved and did not have much time to ride. By this
time the tire was wore out. I bought my first and only replacement
piece - a new tire - and had it put on at a pro bike shop. I started
unicycling out on a trail and after a while the right pedal started to
lump. I had stripped the hell out of the threads. The threading on the
crank and pedal were completely melted. I did notice that this started
up after i ate it really hard too.

I tried JB Welding it in but that did not work. The JB weld broke
before i even got one block.

So i ordered replacement parts
-http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=860 i think i bought
these in the proper stock size
-http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=909 and these which
are the actual stock pedals

I took it to the same pro shop and had them put it together for me.
They used some lock tight greese of some sorts and everything.
Afterwards i probably got in about 1 day of good riding. The next week
i was at the beach and i felt the lump in the right pedal. I got off
ASAP and luckily there was a bike shop near by. he tightened the
pedals down real good and tight, but it was too late.. within the hour
the pedals were totaly melted. Sadly the setup was pretty new. I had
only ridden on them here and there and then only did one serious day of
doing tricks and crashing etc.. the slightest fraction of what i put
the original unicycle through!

Is this unheard of? Did i just get unlucky the second time around?
Could the bike shop be messing something up?

Also what would be a good set of cranks and pedals so i dont burn
through equipment/money like this?

Thank you

--
revel
revel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12863

Old August 7th 06, 09:30 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
trials_uni

What do you mean by "melted"? Could you post some pics of the
damage?...Unless you crossthreaded or put the wrong pedals on the wrong
sides both times then they should have been fine. Pics of the cranks
and pedals threads would probably help identify the problem.

And on a side note, you are far better to ask here and correct the
problem yourself than to take it to a bike shop...IME they kno jacksh*t
about unis and ussually dont care.

--
trials_uni

TRIALS 4 LIFE !

Radical Reed wrote:
I have to herd the polor bears, while harvesting pot. Then I sit down on
my couch made of softwood lumber with a glass of maple syrup and watch
a hockey game or a gay marrige.

*Caution-I may have no idea what im talking about*

Old August 7th 06, 09:34 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jerrick

It sounds like the threads got mized up. I had a friend who had the left
pedal on the right and right on the left, and it would loosen after
every 20mins until I looked at it and realized they were on wrong.

Look on your cranks, they will have a marking that says L or R. Have
the R on the right side of the uni, L on the left. Now, look at your
pedals, they will have the same R and L indentation. Make sure the R
pedal is on the R crank, and the L pedal is on the L crank.

--
Jerrick

~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot more!~*~
'!Gallery!' (http://tinyurl.com/gf2g9)
'!MRIS!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)
'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)
My sponsor '~!SIXSIXONE!~' (http://sixsixone.com/)

Old August 7th 06, 09:41 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ice_cold_uni6

melted? im not sure what you're referring to.
unless you have the pedals on wrong or something i have no idea why
they would break just during normal riding.

--
ice_cold_uni6

*-_chug_counterfeit_tobasco_sauce_while_holding_b ananas_for_christ_-*
PM if you want in.

iridemymuni wrote:
we get snow in australia, we've got like 8 different places to ski, 5 of
them are absoloutly sh**

'**my sick gallery**'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/?g2_itemId=219882)
'PLEASE CLICK HERE!!!' (http://0056a2b.netsolhost.com/mp3s/)
ice_cold_uni6's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12352

Old August 7th 06, 09:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
markf

it's doubtful the shop messed anything up. unis are pretty simple
compared to bikes and there's usually a guy or two who know how to uni
and are competant to fix them. we need pictures of the damage to tell
you what happened. from your description you either got really unlucky
or royally crossthreaded/otherwise damaged your cranks/pedals before
they "melted"/.

--
markf

stuck in iowa and gainfully employed.
markf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8102

Old August 8th 06, 12:06 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skrobo

hmm, its so easy to not notice that your pedals are loose, and then
just keep riding and wear them out, then they start to wobble and by
that time the threads are smashed(usually ruined) ppl, make sure you
tighten your pedals... mine on my dx came loose and I luckily it just
unscrewed itself on the way to the school because the wheel was on
backwards

and I did that to my cheap uni too
I got the strongest Epoxy that I could find and smeared it in there
(there is no air anywhere in the thing and it is holding up quite well,
make sure you clean it very well, maybe fill up a cup w/ rubbing
alchohol and swish it around in therethen wipe it off very well

im out... see you guys later

--
skrobo

Unicycle For Christ PM me if you would like to join!!!RIDE

UNICYCLES WITH BANANNA SEATS FOR CHRIST!
i have been riding for 3 years, doing tricks for 7 months and being
sorta hardcore for 4 months

-stephen-
skrobo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12272

Old August 8th 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
onetrack

vuniw wrote:
seems like that tire created some bad luck

or the wheel was installed backwards after the tire change.

--
onetrack

"People over here have a dangerous habit of adding quotes to signature
lines."
-Klaas Bil
onetrack's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6374

Old August 8th 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
StaggerLee

or the wheel was installed backwards after the tire change

That was the first thing I thought.

wheel's put on backwards... pedal starts to come loose... wooble wooble
plink... stripped threads... crank no good... buy new set of cranks...
wheel isn't removed and flipped around... new cranks installed... pedal

StaggerLee's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12691

Old August 8th 06, 01:59 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skrobo

StaggerLee wrote:
That was the first thing I thought.

wheel's put on backwards... pedal starts to come loose... wooble wooble
plink... stripped threads... crank no good... buy new set of cranks...
wheel isn't removed and flipped around... new cranks installed... pedal
starts to come loose... wooble wooble plink... stripped threads...
crank no good...

fill it w/ epoxy and try that
if that doesn't work then thread the crank and put a set screw in there
and tighten it reallly tight

Old August 8th 06, 06:35 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
revel

oh man! I posted this at work. I just got home and looked at the
lettering. I'm ****ed off at 2 people.

1. i told the guy 4 times to mind the left and right. I told him over
and over pointing at the letters as i pulled them out of the packaging
till it was embarasing and he was like like "yeah yeah i got it" and i
felt like i was telling him he couldn't do his job right.

2. i'm ****ed off at myself cause afterwards i just didn't think to
check it.

obviously the damn left and rights were swapped. Never again! Looks
like i better invest in some tools and do it myself next time. Its
like that one guy said. They just don't know and/or give a ****.

Sorry about the "melted" term. The threads shred and shave off until
theres nothing left and all the threading is mashed down. if you keep
going it runs it so flat you can just about yank the pedal in and out
of the hole.

--
revel
revel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12863

Trying some shorter cranks - First impressions rob.northcott Unicycling 16 January 13th 06 03:08 PM
anti cotterless unign Unicycling 12 October 2nd 05 06:49 PM
125 mm cranks and Schwalbe Big Apple Uni Unicycling 14 December 22nd 03 10:41 AM
rotor cranks andy Techniques 66 November 5th 03 03:23 PM