Bicycle riders will get more respect once they start obeying the laws that govern them.

Old June 4th 07, 11:35 PM posted to triangle.general,triangle.politics,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.heraldry,nc.general

Default Bicycle riders will get more respect once they start obeying the laws that govern them.

Yeah, that's right! When bicyclists adhere to the rules of the road
here in NC, like they are supposed to, that is when you will probably
see people be a bit more tolerant of them.

Running redlights, entering an intersection when already having a
yellow and the ability to stop, 30 in a 25 (oh yes, I ran across that
today here in Cary).

You always hear these bicycle groups talking about how they are not
getting the proper respect on the road, but they don't mind breaking
the law themselves.

And here is another clue for you bicycle riders in the Triangle part
of NC. When you have a sidewalk available to you why don't you use
it? Just remember that pedestrians have the right-of-way on
sidewalks, and that you will have to get off your bike and walk around
them. It won't hurt you so bad.....after all, you ARE out for
exercise, aren't you?

Yeah...if there AIN'T a bikelane and there IS a sidewalk, how's about
pick it on up and off'n the road? The road is not one of those horse
and shield in an amphitheater things, you know what I mean vern?

Old June 5th 07, 01:13 AM posted to triangle.general,triangle.politics,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.heraldry,nc.general
Tom Kunich

Here - I'll tell it like it is - kiss my ass. As the driver of 3500 lbs of
steel moving at 40+ mph traffic laws are important and necessary. As the
rider on a 20 lb bicycle without a shred of protection some cocksucker with
a big mouth like yours ought to just say something like that to my face so
that I can kick your ass for sure.

oups.com...

Old June 5th 07, 01:14 AM posted to triangle.general,triangle.politics,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.heraldry,nc.general
nayR

Sounds like an angry driver to me. Especially when talkin' about
walkin' a bicycle on a sidewalk.. walkin' a bicycle. Irony? Unless
there's a mechanical issue or flat tire, I find it funny. Regardless
if that's exercise or not, cyclists are allowed on the road as well as
any car. No need for a bike lane to state that. Sure, there are
cyclists who don't obey the law, but there are drivers who do the
same. Passin' through an intersection when the light's yellow is not
restricted to cyclists alone. It's not illegal, anyway. I doubt
those cyclists would listen to you even if you told them much like
drivers, so it's a lost cause.

Old June 5th 07, 01:52 AM posted to triangle.general,triangle.politics,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.heraldry,nc.general

On Jun 4, 6:35 pm, wrote:
[...]

Good troll. Nicely done. Not a single swear word in there, good
spelling, and usage of a classic Jim Varney catch-phrase. All-in-all,
a solid 6 out of 10. Might have gotten a 7 or 7.5 if he had posted to
rbm instead of rbr.

A few years back I had the opportunity to ride some around Cary, NC
and, thankfully, never had the displeasure of encountering anyone that
shares your views.

Old June 5th 07, 02:46 AM posted to triangle.general,triangle.politics,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.heraldry,nc.general
geoff

Regardless
if that's exercise or not, cyclists are allowed on the road as well as
any car.

Nooooooo!!!!!!!!! I saw a cyclist on old apex road and everyone behind him
was going 10 or 15 mph. I called the officer on duty, cary police, and he
told me cyclists are allowed on the road but they are not allowed to impede
traffic like that.

So, to the guy who wants to kick ass, wait for the cary police, punch one of
them in the nose, and kick their ass.

Idiots.

-g

Old June 5th 07, 04:43 AM posted to triangle.general,triangle.politics,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.heraldry,nc.general
Stefan Wolfe

"Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote in message
hlink.net...
Here - I'll tell it like it is - kiss my ass. As the driver of 3500 lbs of
steel moving at 40+ mph traffic laws are important and necessary. As the
rider on a 20 lb bicycle without a shred of protection some cocksucker
with a big mouth like yours ought to just say something like that to my
face so that I can kick your ass for sure.

This is symtomatic of the psychological side effects of those in this sport
who take testosterone injections to improve their performance. Suggest you
lay off the juice for a while, bro.

Old June 5th 07, 03:35 PM posted to triangle.general,triangle.politics,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.heraldry,nc.general

On Jun 4, 5:35 pm, wrote:
[...]

http://www.cicle.org/cicle_content/p...ry.php?id=1035

(Headline):
New Florida law gives cyclists 3-foot buffer

Note, "the cops like it". Read for yourself.

--D-y

Old June 5th 07, 05:00 PM posted to triangle.general,triangle.politics,rec.bicycles.racing,nc.general
me[_6_]

http://www.cicle.org/cicle_content/p...ry.php?id=1035

(Headline):
New Florida law gives cyclists 3-foot buffer

Note, "the cops like it". Read for yourself.

--D-y

I do not object to bicycles on the roads, nor do I want to
unintentionally (or even intentionally) harm or kill anyone.

It occurs to me that some of the riders around here ride closer to
each other than three feet apart. Often times they are leisurely
riding two abreast down the road having a conversation when they are
approached from behind (if I am driving, going below the posted speed)
by a 4-6 ton truck towing a trailer. They probably do not realize that
in some cases a truck like this does not slow from 50 to 5 mph quickly
enough to not hit them. The only alternative then is to pass. If I am
pulling around a pair of bicyclists with a trailer and oncoming car or
truck (often going to fast) appears suddenly, guess who gets squeezed?
To me, these bicyclists are the equivalent of drivers whose priority
is a cell phone conversation.

Alternatively there are serious riders that stay right, move at a good
clip, are generally respectful and aware of the traffic and do not
have priorities other than riding. These people generally do not
become speed bumps.

I think if both parties (drivers and bicyclists) use their heads and
*pay attention* on the road, giving respect to the other person, most
times things work out. However it does not take a rocket surgeon to
know that riding a bicycle on the same road with 2-10 ton vehicle (and
some of the nut cases driving them) is *dangerous*. I suggest that if
you are out for a leisurely ride to chat and not pay particular
attention to what you are doing, there are approximately 7000 acres
(an area 8 miles long and 2 miles wide) in the center of the triangle
that has paved roads and is almost empty on the weekends, it is called
the RTP. IMO this is a *much* safer alternative for most of the
recreational bicycle riders I see on the county roads.

Old June 5th 07, 05:46 PM posted to triangle.general,triangle.politics,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.heraldry,nc.general

On Jun 4, 8:52 pm, wrote:
Good troll. Nicely done. Not a single swear word in there, good
spelling, and usage of a classic Jim Varney catch-phrase. All-in-all,
a solid 6 out of 10. Might have gotten a 7 or 7.5 if he had posted to
rbm instead of rbr.

Too obvious ... been done too many times ... subject line gives it
away. 2 out of 10.

rbm would definitely raise it though.

Old June 5th 07, 06:30 PM posted to triangle.general,triangle.politics,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.heraldry,nc.general
Wayne Pein

geoff wrote:
Regardless
if that's exercise or not, cyclists are allowed on the road as well as
any car.

Nooooooo!!!!!!!!! I saw a cyclist on old apex road and everyone behind him
was going 10 or 15 mph. I called the officer on duty, cary police, and he
told me cyclists are allowed on the road but they are not allowed to impede
traffic like that.

So, to the guy who wants to kick ass, wait for the cary police, punch one of
them in the nose, and kick their ass.

Idiots.

The Officer is wrong.

"NC §20-141. Speed restrictions.
(h) No person shall operate a motor vehicle on the highway at such a
slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic
except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in
compliance with law; provided, this provision shall not apply to farm
tractors and other motor vehicles operating at reasonable speeds for the
type and nature of such vehicles."

This statute applies to motor vehicles, not bicycle vehicles, and
clearly exempts those vehicles that have limited operating speeds due to
their design and use.

Wayne