Need a replacement rim

Old July 1st 11, 02:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gary Smiley[_2_]

Default Need a replacement rim

My Bontrager Race Lite rear wheel just got dinged, and my mech said
that there are no longer any replacement rims available, and he wants
to sell me a different wheel. All I want to do is replace the rim with
a similar rim with the same 24 paired spokes and the same ERD. Is this
true- are these rims no longer available? Are there any substitutes
that I can get? Or do I need to buy a whole new wheel? Thanks- Gary
Old July 1st 11, 04:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Gary Smiley wrote:
My Bontrager Race Lite rear wheel just got dinged, and my mech said
that there are no longer any replacement rims available, and he wants
to sell me a different wheel. All I want to do is replace the rim with
a similar rim with the same 24 paired spokes and the same ERD. Is this
true- are these rims no longer available? Are there any substitutes
that I can get? Or do I need to buy a whole new wheel? Thanks- Gary

Since the money will be roughly the same either way, an off
the rack 32h or 36h wheel will be a better value to most riders.

Riders have various criteria and if you strongly respond to
that odd paired spoke aesthetic, by all means go for it. How
long did your first one last? Expect similar.

A standard prebuilt can usually benefit from some bearing
lubrication (no they don't do that for you), bearing
adjustment (robots can't seem to manage that yet) and some
spoke tension (also not included, but useful).

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old July 3rd 11, 11:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

"Gary Smiley" wrote in message
My Bontrager Race Lite rear wheel just got dinged, and my mech said
that there are no longer any replacement rims available, and he wants
to sell me a different wheel. All I want to do is replace the rim with
a similar rim with the same 24 paired spokes and the same ERD. Is this
true- are these rims no longer available? Are there any substitutes
that I can get? Or do I need to buy a whole new wheel? Thanks- Gary

Either Bontrager part# 414965, 414132, depending upon color. The 414965
will show as being out of stock but can be ordered as W414965 through
the store's rep. 24 spoke, 595mm ERD.

The shop will have to verify that these are paired-spoke rims, since
that information isn't in the description. I don't believe there were 24
spoke rear rims that weren't paired though.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old July 16th 11, 12:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

ebay is bound to be full of equivalent wheels for $50 or less

people replace bontragers all the time [u pgrade from stock trek
parts]

wle

hub replacement lucky_8 Unicycling 7 June 14th 06 06:01 PM
still no replacement wafflycat UK 7 June 9th 06 09:44 PM
DIY hub replacement Chris Smith UK 8 April 5th 06 06:11 PM
24 Hr. replacement hell-on-wheel Unicycling 7 May 11th 05 07:51 PM
Spoke replacement Peter Main UK 12 September 24th 03 01:41 AM