habitat

Old July 20th 11, 07:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
RobertH

Default habitat

On Jul 18, 9:00 pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:

BS. I wrote the ONLY scientific paper on the subject. Every allegedly
"scientific" paper written by a mountain biker was fatally biased and
dishonest.

I read these and they didn't seem all that fatally biased or
dishonest:

IMPACTS OF EXPERIMENTALLY APPLIED MOUNTAIN BIKING AND HIKING ON
VEGETATION AND SOIL 2001 article by Thurston and Reader, Environmental
Management. Study showed potentially severe impacts from both
activities, and similar recovery times.

EROSIONAL IMPACT OF HIKERS, HORSES, MOTORCYCLES, AND OFF-ROAD BICYCLES
ON MOUNTAIN TRAILS IN MONTANA Wilson and Seney, Mountain Research and
Development, 1994.

If we're going to be really honest with ourselves, and I don't suppose
we are, we'll have to admit that the trail itself is an unholy
unnatural gash through the wilderness. (This also confirmed by
scientific research.) Worrying so much about trail damage is kind of
fundamentally bogus as an environmentalist cause.

If you really care about wildlife, destroy the trail entirely, then
keep your animal-terrorizing self at home and out of the wilderness..
Old July 20th 11, 02:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
James[_8_]

On Jul 20, 4:54*pm, RobertH wrote:

If we're going to be really honest with ourselves, and I don't suppose
we are, we'll have to admit that the trail itself is an unholy
unnatural gash through the wilderness.

Wild animals make and use "game trails" all the time. Domestic
animals do the same. Just look at sheep tracks around hillsides.

--
JS.
Old July 20th 11, 05:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
RobertH

On Jul 20, 7:13 am, James wrote:
On Jul 20, 4:54 pm, RobertH wrote:

If we're going to be really honest with ourselves, and I don't suppose
we are, we'll have to admit that the trail itself is an unholy
unnatural gash through the wilderness.

Wild animals make and use "game trails" all the time. Domestic
animals do the same. Just look at sheep tracks around hillsides.

Yes.. but a man-made trail or trail associated with humans will cause
disruption even if nobody is on it. Certain species incl. birds will
alter their natural migration patterns to avoid the trail entirely. In
arid areas or high altitude the trail itself represents the biggest
erosion-starter around, even if it is in perfect condition. This is
true for trails that have never hosted a single mtb'er.

It is environmentally bogus to 'protect' trails. There are a lot of
fine reasons for keeping trails in good shape, ecology aint one of em.

Old July 21st 11, 07:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

On Jul 19, 11:54*pm, RobertH wrote:
On Jul 18, 9:00 pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:

BS. I wrote the ONLY scientific paper on the subject. Every allegedly
"scientific" paper written by a mountain biker was fatally biased and
dishonest.

I read these and they didn't seem all that fatally biased or
dishonest:

Then you know NOTHING about science. See http://mjvande.nfshost.com/scb7.htm
for the details.

IMPACTS OF EXPERIMENTALLY APPLIED MOUNTAIN BIKING AND HIKING ON
VEGETATION AND SOIL 2001 article by Thurston and Reader, Environmental
Management. Study showed potentially severe impacts from both
activities, and similar recovery times.

EROSIONAL IMPACT OF HIKERS, HORSES, MOTORCYCLES, AND OFF-ROAD BICYCLES
ON MOUNTAIN TRAILS IN MONTANA Wilson and Seney, Mountain Research and
Development, 1994.

If we're going to be really honest with ourselves, and I don't suppose
we are, we'll have to admit that the trail itself is an unholy
unnatural gash through the wilderness. (This also confirmed by
scientific research.) Worrying so much about trail damage is kind of
fundamentally bogus as an environmentalist cause.

Yes, of course. The mouyntain bikers think "conservation" means
"preserving trails".

If you really care about wildlife, destroy the trail entirely, then
keep your animal-terrorizing self at home and out of the wilderness..

I agree, I have been saying that for 15 years. Where have you been?
Old July 21st 11, 09:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
James[_8_]

On Jul 21, 2:31*am, RobertH wrote:
On Jul 20, 7:13 am, James wrote:

On Jul 20, 4:54 pm, RobertH wrote:

If we're going to be really honest with ourselves, and I don't suppose
we are, we'll have to admit that the trail itself is an unholy
unnatural gash through the wilderness.

Wild animals make and use "game trails" all the time. *Domestic
animals do the same. *Just look at sheep tracks around hillsides.

Yes.. but a man-made trail or trail associated with humans will cause
disruption even if nobody is on it. Certain species incl. birds will
alter their natural migration patterns to avoid the trail entirely.

I have observed many animals, including some birds, _using_ man made
trails. Kangaroos, wallabies, wombats, dingos, deer, pigs, goats,
emus (a bird), foxes, etc.

--
JS.
Old July 21st 11, 09:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
James[_8_]

On Jul 21, 4:54*pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:
On Jul 19, 11:54*pm, RobertH wrote:

If you really care about wildlife, destroy the trail entirely, then
keep your animal-terrorizing self at home and out of the wilderness..

I agree, I have been saying that for 15 years. Where have you been?

You don't practice what you preach?

--
JS.
Old July 21st 11, 05:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
SMS

On Jul 19, 11:54*pm, RobertH wrote:
On Jul 18, 9:00 pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:

BS. I wrote the ONLY scientific paper on the subject. Every allegedly
"scientific" paper written by a mountain biker was fatally biased and
dishonest.

I read these and they didn't seem all that fatally biased or
dishonest:

IMPACTS OF EXPERIMENTALLY APPLIED MOUNTAIN BIKING AND HIKING ON
VEGETATION AND SOIL 2001 article by Thurston and Reader, Environmental
Management. Study showed potentially severe impacts from both
activities, and similar recovery times.

EROSIONAL IMPACT OF HIKERS, HORSES, MOTORCYCLES, AND OFF-ROAD BICYCLES
ON MOUNTAIN TRAILS IN MONTANA Wilson and Seney, Mountain Research and
Development, 1994.

Yes, these are all peer-reviewed and published papers so you have at
least some assurance that they are based on fact.

It speaks volumes that there are zero papers that have ever concluded
that mountain bikes cause any more damage to trails or wildlife
habitat than hikers. After all this time you can be sure that if there
were any evidence that mountain bikes caused more damage than hikers
that a reputable and qualified person would have written a peer-
reviewed and published paper on the subject, but no one has.
Old July 21st 11, 10:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
T°m Sherm@n

On 7/21/2011 1:54 AM, Mike Vandeman wrote:
On Jul 19, 11:54 pm, wrote:
On Jul 18, 9:00 pm, Mike wrote:

[...]

Cutting down trees with a HANDSAW to build a tree fort, perhaps?

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731°N, 83.985007°W
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old July 22nd 11, 08:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

On Jul 21, 9:43*am, SMS wrote:
[...]

1. You are wrong. See http://mjvande.nfshost.com/scb7.htm.
2. Absence of research doesn't imply absence of impact. DUH!

[OT] habitat SMS Techniques 128 July 28th 11 06:43 AM
habitat RobertH Mountain Biking 34 July 28th 11 06:43 AM
BIKE HABITAT kolldata Techniques 2 March 6th 11 11:52 PM
Wildlife Need Habitat Off-Limits to Humans! Mike Vandeman Social Issues 17 July 31st 08 02:15 AM