A new hazard

Old May 28th 04, 07:28 PM
brian drury

Default A new hazard

Coming home tonight a dark 4 X 4 stopped to let me through on a very narrow
road with cars parked either side. Blimey, that's unusual so I slowed down
as I passed his open window and acknowledged the gesture.

His response was to pull a gun like thing and squirt some liquid in my face.
It covered my eye protectors with bubbles and slime. He immediately sped
away before I could recover composure.

I doubt I would recognise him or vehicle again and hopefully this is a
one-off.

Is this just more anti-cycle madness? What was the liquid I wonder?

Brian

Old May 28th 04, 07:41 PM
Tumbleweed

No number plate? report it to the police anyway.

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks for email address
.. .

Old May 28th 04, 07:57 PM
Tony Raven

Tumbleweed wrote:
No number plate? report it to the police anyway.

Agreed. Informed the police once when we found a window with an airgun pellet
hole in it. Police showed great interest and came round to take details.
They had had a spate of them and were collecting evidence. So nothing might
happen but maybe ....

Tony

Old May 28th 04, 08:22 PM
Buzz

It's a pity you could not have pursued and caught him, then squirted him
with something from your "gun" namely urine.

Regards

Sean B

Old May 29th 04, 02:00 AM
Dave Kahn

On Fri, 28 May 2004 19:28:20 +0100, "brian drury"
briandotdruryatdsldotpipexdotcom wrote:

Coming home tonight a dark 4 X 4 stopped to let me through on a very narrow
road with cars parked either side. Blimey, that's unusual so I slowed down
as I passed his open window and acknowledged the gesture.

His response was to pull a gun like thing and squirt some liquid in my face.
It covered my eye protectors with bubbles and slime. He immediately sped
away before I could recover composure.

I doubt I would recognise him or vehicle again and hopefully this is a
one-off.

Is this just more anti-cycle madness? What was the liquid I wonder?

Probably just soapy water, but who knows? It could easily have been
ink, ammonia, acid or some other noxious fluid. I'm sorry, but I have
a complete sense of humour failure over these unprovoked attacks. They
seem to be getting more common. I've been subjected to 5 of them in as
many months, plus a number of feigned attacks from pedestrians either
swinging mock blows or running out in front of me. I think protective
eyewear is now probably the most important item of safety equipment
for cycling - certainly the most important one that is not a legal
requirement.

I think you should report it to the police. At least you have a
description of the vehicle and possibly the occupants. There may have
been other attacks. I doubt that it's specifically anti-cyclist - we
just make easy targets.

--
Dave...

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain
Old May 29th 04, 09:55 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Report it to the police.

I'm glad you are okay.