cycle forum corporate policies?

Old May 16th 05, 08:45 PM
Ian Smith

Default cycle forum corporate policies?

The cycle forum I attend has decided we want some corporate policies,
so that if one of teh key members is asked to express a view on
something (cyle tracks, say), he (a female has not attended any of our
meetings in living memory) at least knows what teh consensus view of
teh group is, on either the specific topic, or at least related or
similar topics.

I have been charged to create a list of teh key issues (ie, what we
are going to have views / policies on). Then we need to reach
agreement on them, but that's for the future.

Does anyone else know of a forum with anything similar? I'm quite
happy to plagiarise to save me work!

Alternatively, what should be on teh list (I'm quoite happy for you
lot to do my work for me), or is teh whole notion a very bad idea?

The things that spring to mind immediately a
+ off-road cycle tracks
+ on-road cycle lanes
+ traffic calming
+ the h-word

regards, Ian SMith
Old May 16th 05, 09:00 PM
Graham Dean

"Ian Smith" wrote in message
The cycle forum I attend has decided we want some corporate policies,

snip
I have been charged to create a list of teh key issues (ie, what we
are going to have views / policies on). Then we need to reach
agreement on them, but that's for the future.

snip
regards, Ian SMith

Well one approach is to agree on a set of resources (information resources)
that you can point people to and let them make their own mind up. Obviously
the resources should be well-balanced and credible - make integrity your
friend....

Graham

Old May 17th 05, 08:39 AM
Peter Fox

Following on from Ian Smith's message. . .
The cycle forum I attend has decided we want some corporate policies,
so that if one of teh key members is asked to express a view on

Try

Don't let wkaners who think misspelling "the" is cute represent the
forum. It isn't clever, it isn't funny. It gives the impression that
all cyclists are nerds.

Try to "move on" as our great leader Mr. Blair would say.
--
PETER FOX Not the same since the statuette business went bust

www.eminent.demon.co.uk - Lots for cyclists
Old May 17th 05, 12:10 PM
Ian Smith

On Tue, 17 May, Peter Fox wrote:
Following on from Ian Smith's message. . .
The cycle forum I attend has decided we want some corporate policies,
so that if one of teh key members is asked to express a view on

Try

Don't let wkaners who think misspelling "the" is cute represent the
forum. It isn't clever, it isn't funny. It gives the impression that
all cyclists are nerds.

Try to "move on" as our great leader Mr. Blair would say.

Thank you for your useful and productive contribution.

Two questions:
1: Do you think spelling flames are a useful contribution to usenet?
2: Why did you decide to attack me?

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old May 17th 05, 12:38 PM
Helen Deborah Vecht

Ian Smith typed

On Tue, 17 May, Peter Fox wrote:
Following on from Ian Smith's message. . .
The cycle forum I attend has decided we want some corporate policies,
so that if one of teh key members is asked to express a view on

Try

Don't let wkaners who think misspelling "the" is cute represent the
forum. It isn't clever, it isn't funny. It gives the impression that
all cyclists are nerds.

Try to "move on" as our great leader Mr. Blair would say.

Thank you for your useful and productive contribution.

Two questions:
1: Do you think spelling flames are a useful contribution to usenet?
2: Why did you decide to attack me?

Maybe it wasn't meant as an attack. Misspellings rankle me too.

Whilst spelling flames add little constructive to usenet, poor
proof-reading can make useful constructive words appear amateurish and
unprofessional.

My 5p worth...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old May 17th 05, 01:53 PM
JLB

Ian Smith wrote:

1: Do you think spelling flames are a useful contribution to usenet?

Snipped the rest because of not wanting to get involved in other issues,
but I don't accept that was a spelling flame by Peter Fox. That would
have involved picking up a spelling mistake in the sense of either a
random typing error or ignorance of correct spelling.

I've seen enough of your posts to know that neither explanation is
applicable. You type "teh" in place of "the" deliberately, for reasons
that must be sufficient to you, and spelling has nothing to do with it.
It is more like the habit some people have of inserting a foreign word
into conversation where an ordinary native word would be expected and
would serve perfectly well, though few people would substitute another
word for one as ubiquitous as "the".

--
Joe * If I cannot be free I'll be cheap
Old May 17th 05, 02:17 PM
Ian Smith

On Tue, 17 May 2005 13:53:37 +0100, JLB wrote:

I've seen enough of your posts to know that neither explanation is
applicable. You type "teh" in place of "the" deliberately,

Well I'm gald tehre's all these people that know better than me teh
reasons why I do something.

****-brain-Peter (see, I can be gratuitously abusive too, though in my
case there was some provocation. I'm still not sure what good it
achieves, however) knows I do it because I think it's cute.

You know I do it deliberately.

My opinion on teh matter of something that I do is clearly
superfluous. Perhaps you could explain to me what my opinion is on
everything else, too? Obviously, you know oh so much better than me,
so I'm all agog to find out what I think, please tell.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old May 17th 05, 03:01 PM
JohnB

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

Ian Smith typed

Thank you for your useful and productive contribution.

Two questions:
1: Do you think spelling flames are a useful contribution to usenet?
2: Why did you decide to attack me?

Maybe it wasn't meant as an attack. Misspellings rankle me too.

Whilst spelling flames add little constructive to usenet, poor
proof-reading can make useful constructive words appear amateurish and
unprofessional.

I agree. I too use 'teh' and 'taht a lot, and I also miss capital
letters (I think it has something to do with being a two-fingered
typist.
It irritates me taht I do so, so I try and correct them, but I won't
take the care I do when dealing with printed publications.
I look on it that usenet is like speech - count teh errors as errs and
umms and stutters.

Life is far too short to spend time correcting spelling errors on usenet.

And yes, that 'teh' above was completely accidental.

John B
Old May 17th 05, 03:19 PM
Ian Smith

On Tue, 17 May, Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
Ian Smith typed

On Tue, 17 May, Peter Fox wrote:
Following on from Ian Smith's message. . .

Don't let wkaners who think misspelling "the" is cute represent the
forum. It isn't clever, it isn't funny. It gives the impression that
all cyclists are nerds.

Try to "move on" as our great leader Mr. Blair would say.

Thank you for your useful and productive contribution.

Two questions:
1: Do you think spelling flames are a useful contribution to usenet?
2: Why did you decide to attack me?

Maybe it wasn't meant as an attack. Misspellings rankle me too.

Silly me - taking being called a ****** as an attack, how could I have
been so foolish?

Why didn't he say "I say, I find that mis-spelling annoying, can you
try and avoid doing it" rather than calling me a ****** and ascribing
motive to it?

Here's a secret - I do take offence when people call me a ******.
Wouldn't you?

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old May 17th 05, 03:21 PM
James Annan

JohnB wrote:

Life is far too short to spend time correcting spelling errors on usenet.

When the writer can't be bothered giving even the most rudimentary
once-over to their contribution, it leads me to wonder whether I should
bother reading it.

James
(a very poor typist who has still not got used to the feel of the Apple
keyboards)

WTD: Cycle Items Robert UK 8 April 17th 05 10:47 AM
Unite Against Cycle Paths! Steve McGinty UK 8 August 15th 04 10:12 PM
Helmets Vivian UK 460 April 28th 04 09:38 PM
Who is going to Interbike? Bruce Gilbert Techniques 2 October 10th 03 09:26 PM
Pick 'n Pay Cape Argus Cycle Tour - Cape Town, South Africa, 2004 David Cowie Racing 0 August 28th 03 10:29 PM