Training Cycles Question

Old January 10th 11, 10:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Dave Lee

Default Training Cycles Question

Attached
Attached

Options near here (both from a sport's club and retailer perspective. But
you are correct - a trip to Raleigh (or possibly Fayetteville) may well be
in order.

Thanks.

dave

"--D-y" wrote in message
snip

On Jan 10, 8:30 am, "Dave Lee" wrote:
It might be a good idea to check out a one-time pass or one-class
arrangement at a club or two, so you can try as many equipment choices
as possible. Some Spin classes are (IMHO) nasty, getting yelled at
sessions but I've "spun" with a few instructors who didn't crank up
the (usually stupid) music and then use a microphone to be heard over
the din. They welcomed newcomers, too, no "hey you in the back, let's
keep up here!" stuff. IOW, I saw what you wrote but maybe you'd want
to check out Spin sessions; it can be like riding the road in the
sense of having a social setting to work out in, "the miles fly by".

Is there a "sports store", either large or small, anywhere nearby
where you can get a test ride? Second-hand shop that sells used sports
equipment?

A new one of these:
http://concept2.com/us/indoorrowers/default.asp?
gclid=CIGW2I_JsKYCFZJa2goddUyZmg
is way over your stated budget, but it's something to think about and
maybe try out, if available.

I've used one of these fine machines; they have a variety of modes on
a readout screen for measuring your workout, which seems to be what
you're looking for. An "erg" as the rowers call them, is ideal for the
strongly self-directed g. A half-hour on the rowing machine will
find you reaching into your suitcase of motivation, for sure.

Low-impact, low noise level, can be used to focus on core strength;
not as tough on the legs as cycling but better for everything else
IMHO.

There is some technique involved. I was fortunate to have a young
woman who was a varsity rower get me lined out on what's what-- good
technique really helps the focus, and it hurts more, too g.
Um, easy on watches, etc., and no helmet required.
--D-y

Old January 10th 11, 11:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

"Dave Lee" wrote in message
m...

"Anton Berlin" wrote in message

JQ, I have done road biking in the past and enjoyed it. But for reasons
that
I am just not willing to put in a public forum that isn't the best
choice
for me right now.

Somehow that just screams "insurance fraud"

I'm curious. Is this a joke or some RBR thing that a guy like me (who
hasn't been here since sometime in the 90's) wouldn't understand?

dave

No, that's just Anton. Don't worry about it. If it was insurance fraud, you
wouldn't be using what appears to be a real name, would you? Your answer
definitely raises questions, makes people want to know more, but the
"normal" speculation would run to things like, "Used to ride a lot but got
scared by cars one too many time" or "Have to sit on a saddle that wouldn't
work well on a bike for long rides because I've had surgery down there" or
some such.

Well, OK, it's not just Anton, it's not as if he has a monopoly on such
things in RBR. :-)

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old January 11th 11, 12:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Anton Berlin

On Jan 10, 5:01*pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:
"Dave Lee" wrote in message

[...]

All true - but I don't think anyone would feel 'shame' from being
assaulted by cars. And dozens of people would come in posting things
about their limp dicks and hemorrhoids so naturally insurance fraud
seems logical.
Old January 11th 11, 12:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Dave Lee

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
m...

SNIP
[...]

Thanks for the explanation. I've spent a lot of time on USENET so "I
understand". And besides it isn't insurance fraud at all, it is an illegal
pot farm (can't afford to be away in case 'the feds' come knocking :-)

dave

Old January 11th 11, 01:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
JQ

On 1/10/2011 5:02 PM, --D-y wrote:
On Jan 10, 8:30 am, "Dave wrote:

Regarding the single device, I can make that work for me. I was into cycling
for about 4 years (work around for my running injuries) and only owned a
bike about half that time. But the sport club is a very poor choice for me
as I won't make the trip, but I will go into the next room (live in a small
area - choices are limited and not that close by). It was perfect for me
while in California as the only way to make my commute manageable was to
leave the house around 4:45 a.m. (50 minute drive with no traffic) and stop
at a sports club near work before starting my day (now retired).

I have just started with kettlebells (they seem to me to be very good core
training devices) and I have not YET hit my head with one. But I have
smashed a $8 plastic digital watch doing cleans with a kettlebell :-)

I would still be interesting in other comments - thanks.

[...]

I have the concept 2 rower and it is a fantastic workout, probably the
best complete body cardio workout you can do. Involves all your major
muscle groups
and works the core like no other workout. When I had a gym I and
several others that use to ride the concept 2 rower and we would entices
a new guy to do
the rower for the 2500 meter time trial and we would cheer the rower
till they would roll over puking their guts out. It was our initiation
into the rowers club.
--

Ride fast, ride hard, ride for health and enjoyment...
JQ

Old January 11th 11, 04:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

On Jan 10, 4:47*pm, "Dave Lee" wrote:
[...]

True or false, this explanation is hilarious. Also, +5 points for
being able to confuse rbr by using either your real name or a name
that looks real.

rbr IQ average IQ of rbr,
Old January 11th 11, 04:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Anton Berlin

And besides it isn't insurance fraud at all, it is an illegal
pot farm (can't afford to be away in case 'the feds' come knocking :-)

dave

Dave Lee Roth?
Old January 11th 11, 04:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fred Fredburger[_12_]

On 1/10/2011 8:16 PM, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

Also, +5 points for
being able to confuse rbr by using either your real name or a name
that looks real.

OMG! We've been TROLLED!
Old January 11th 11, 04:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fred Fredburger[_12_]

On 1/10/2011 8:41 PM, Anton Berlin wrote:
And besides it isn't insurance fraud at all, it is an illegal
pot farm (can't afford to be away in case 'the feds' come knocking :-)

dave

Dave Lee Roth?

The Miami Dolphins just fired their QB coach. A guy named "Dave Lee".

Sitting on a cycle while smoking dope counts as a promotion, in this case.
Old January 11th 11, 02:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Dave Lee

"JQ" wrote in message ...

On 1/10/2011 9:30 AM, Dave Lee wrote:

SNIP

Dave, if you are as goal orientated as you say give road biking a try. I
am a ex-runner due to major knee injuries started riding back in the mid to
late 80's until the early 90's.

SNIP

JQ,

http://members.tripod.com/DaveLeeMn/1-11-11.wmv

is a quick video looking out our garage this morning (southern NC). And you
think my idea of a training cycle is a bad idea :-)

dave

Training question - warm ups nobody Racing 4 September 29th 06 04:52 AM
Training Question: Pre-base Training Dope Control Racing 11 August 12th 05 01:04 PM
Training Question: Pre-base Training [email protected] UK 17 August 8th 05 02:29 PM
Training question Franck Mangin Racing 2 April 7th 04 05:50 AM
training question. Tetsuo Shima Mountain Biking 38 March 3rd 04 09:20 PM