cycle meter application for hand phone

Old June 1st 17, 07:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default cycle meter application for hand phone

I am looking for an Android application that records, using GPS,
distance, average speed, and plots the ride on a map.

I used to use OsmAnd (free version) but a recent update seems to be
missing that function, or perhaps I simply can't locate the function.

I don't care about logging on and logging off and publishing my ride
on FaceBook, or comparing this ride with all previous rides and all
the other miscellanies functions that seem to be available. I just
want to record my rides.

Any suggestions?
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old June 1st 17, 11:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

John B. wrote:

I am looking for an Android application that records, using GPS,
distance, average speed, and plots the ride on a map.

I used to use OsmAnd (free version) but a recent update seems to be
missing that function, or perhaps I simply can't locate the function.

I don't care about logging on and logging off and publishing my ride
on FaceBook, or comparing this ride with all previous rides and all
the other miscellanies functions that seem to be available. I just
want to record my rides.

Any suggestions?
--
Cheers,

John B.

Strava: https://www.strava.com

There's also MapMyRide and RideWithGPS but these are more geared toward
rides though.

--
duane
Old June 1st 17, 12:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 1 Jun 2017 10:00:50 -0000 (UTC), Duane wrote:

John B. wrote:

I am looking for an Android application that records, using GPS,
distance, average speed, and plots the ride on a map.

I used to use OsmAnd (free version) but a recent update seems to be
missing that function, or perhaps I simply can't locate the function.

I don't care about logging on and logging off and publishing my ride
on FaceBook, or comparing this ride with all previous rides and all
the other miscellanies functions that seem to be available. I just
want to record my rides.

Any suggestions?
--
Cheers,

John B.

Strava: https://www.strava.com

There's also MapMyRide and RideWithGPS but these are more geared toward
rides though.

Generally I am riding in an area where I can find my way home so am
interested mainly in documenting the ride. Mapping the ride isn't
really important, although nice to have, I'd guess.

I'll try Strava and see how it works out.

Thanks.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old June 1st 17, 12:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
MJP[_3_]

Ipbike
http://www.iforpowell.com/cms/index.php?page=ipbike

Old June 1st 17, 02:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, June 1, 2017 at 4:31:09 AM UTC-7, MJP wrote:
Ipbike
http://www.iforpowell.com/cms/index.php?page=ipbike

That looks pretty nice but I find it more than irritating that they do not explain what "ANT+â„¢ sensors" or that they mention the actual price of this thing.

I stopped using the other apps because they changed from free to monthly payments. I wouldn't have minded being charged to buy it but I don't rent things.
Old June 1st 17, 05:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 01 Jun 2017 13:17:17 +0700, John B.
wrote:

I am looking for an Android application that records, using GPS,
distance, average speed, and plots the ride on a map.

I use My Trails for most everything involving maps on my various
Android things:
https://www.frogsparks.com
https://www.facebook.com/mytrailsandroid
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.frogsparks.mytrails&hl=en
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.frogsparks.mytrailslicense&hl=en
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.frogsparks.mytrails.preview2&hl=en
I don't recall the price to register the Pro version but since I paid,
it must have been cheap.

The big problems I had with some other programs was that:
1. They were battery killers because the algorithm of the week to
enable/disable the GPS didn't quite work.
2. The offline maps had some limitations.
3. I wanted Open Cycle Maps, and topo maps, which weren't available.
https://www.opencyclemap.org

I settled on My Trails because it was the best compromise between
exercise walking, hiking, and cycling and included the largest
collection of downloadable maps (because I'm also a cartography
freak).

Problems I've had we
1. Exiting the program requires some care or the GPS is left
recording in the background. This can be good or bad depending on
what you're trying to do.
2. There are more settings and tweaks than I care to learn. I
managed to get it working the way I want, but don't ask me how.
3. Saving, clearing, recording, and editing a ride map is beyond my
abilities to understand. I found a routine that works, but again,
don't ask me how I made it work. The problem is that I usually forget
to stop the GPS track at the end of my rides, and end up with a nice
map of my drive to the local eatery, which wrecks all my statistics.
4. If you go with Open Cycle Maps, you'll have this minor problem:
https://www.frogsparks.com/en/opencyclemap-api-key-required/

There's nothing that anyone can do to prevent or even slow down the
inevitable creeping featuritis that plagues the software business. The
basic problem is that users will only pay for feature upgrades, but
not bug fixes. Therefore programs grow (and slow) until they become
useless.

I used to use OsmAnd (free version) but a recent update seems to be
missing that function, or perhaps I simply can't locate the function.

If you have to read the instructions, then the designers did something
wrong in the user interface.

I don't care about logging on and logging off and publishing my ride
on FaceBook, or comparing this ride with all previous rides and all
the other miscellanies functions that seem to be available. I just
want to record my rides.

Most mapping and fitness programs are in some way connected to social
media. According to the vendors, this is the future. Resistance is
futile.

Any suggestions?

http://markmakedo.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Yaxis_mechanism-1024x682.jpg

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old June 1st 17, 11:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JQ

John B. wrote:
[...]

I second RideWithGPS, the advantage of this one you can edit your ride
the other two you cannot. If you forget to start you GPS or your GPS
craps out and only gets part the ride you can correct the mileage, comes
in handy more times thank you would think. Strava is great for public
media and MapMyRide, I just post my rides there not sure what advantages
it has.

--
Ride fast, ride hard, ride for health and enjoyment... JQ Dancing on the
edge

---

Old June 2nd 17, 02:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Every time some mentions "social media" I am reminded of the first
time I ever say someone using a hand phone with a "hands free" i.e.,
set of ear buds.

I was crossing Orchard Road in Singapore early one morning headed to
McDonalds for their "big breakfast" and on the opposite corner was a
guy standing there, waving his arms and talking in a loud voice. I
assumed that this guy was some sort of maniac, I mean, who else stands
on a street corner at six-thirty in the morning waving his arms and
raving.

I ended up eating at a McDonalds that was darned near a mile down the
road :-)

Another thing that comes to mind is a quote I read somewhe "the
intelligence quotient of a group varies inversely in proportion to
the size of the group."

Old June 2nd 17, 02:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

John B. wrote:
[...]

Thanks, I'll try it.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old June 2nd 17, 04:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 02 Jun 2017 08:38:40 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Another thing that comes to mind is a quote I read somewhe "the
intelligence quotient of a group varies inversely in proportion to
the size of the group."

When I had my IQ tested in high skool and college, it was done in a
large group. I don't believe that the results would have been any
different if I had been tested independently.

Any suggestions?

Try the My Trails app.