Chain wear and cassette question

Old November 17th 18, 07:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default Chain wear and cassette question

On Sat, 17 Nov 2018 13:29:20 +0700, John B. slocomb
wrote:

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 16:08:05 -0800, Joerg

On 2018-11-14 15:46, AMuzi wrote:
On 11/14/2018 5:42 PM, news18 wrote:
On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 08:02:03 -0800, Joerg wrote:

Joerg in particular might enjoy their B-Rad system (except that it
won't fit his favorite growler).
https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...b-rad-products

I can't because my MTB doesn't even have the space for a single water
bottle of decent size. Even the bike dealer where I bought is said
"WHAT?? How could they now have that?". So I mounted one holder on the
handlebar (I have a bike with a cup holder now!) plus modded the rear
section for some heavy duty longhaul schlepping.

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Muddy4.JPG

Naah, under the down tube, maybe even on top of the down tube close to
bottom bracket. And you could fit a real keg on top of the top tubes.

Under the downtube it gets dirty with horse poop, cow poop, bear poop
and dirty water, plus rock hits. Above there isn't enough space for a
decent size bottle, 28oz and such.

I used to carry two bottles on a carrier that mounted to the seat
rails and held the bottles behind the seat. There are also carriers
that mount on the handle bars and as a last resort I've carried
bottles in the pockets of my cycling jersey.

cheers,

John B.

I use to carry, that is :-(
cheers,

John B.

Old November 17th 18, 04:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

On 2018-11-14 15:46, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Real men prefer handlebar cages:

https://roma.corriere.it/methode_ima...e-Web-Roma.JPG

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 17th 18, 04:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

On 2018-11-14 15:46, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

That is similar to what I have on my MTB, except more upright like a cup
holder in a car. _Very_ practical. Not having to reach down allows me to
take a quick sip even in situations where you cannot control the
handlebar single-handedly for long.

I'd also have that on my road bike and might some day. However, that's
where the MP3 player already resides and the bar is so narrow.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old November 17th 18, 05:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

On 2018-11-14 15:46, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

That won't last long on these here singletrack routes. Panniers are so
much more practical.

... There are also carriers that mount on the handle bars

That's what I have on the handlebar on my MTB. In the beginning I only
did it because its frame left me no other choice. Now I won't want to
miss it. It safely holds a 28oz bottle and I can grab that faster than
other riders with downtube bottles. Best of all, I won't discover
brownish stuff around the spout where it's hard to determine whether
than is just dirt or animal poop.

... and as a last resort I've carried
bottles in the pockets of my cycling jersey.

That sloshes around terribly during hard offroad trips. Plus I abhor
cycling jerseys on account of their fabric causing a skin rash. It's
T-shirts almost all year round. In the winter occasionaly a lumberjack
shirt, for the first few miles, then it goes into a pannier.

cheers,

John B.

I use to carry, that is :-(

Did you stop cycling? I sure hope not. Or at least not totally.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old November 17th 18, 05:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 11/17/2018 10:05 AM, AMuzi wrote:

Real men prefer handlebar cages:

https://roma.corriere.it/methode_ima...e-Web-Roma.JPG

I don't understand why those went away. Assuming you're not using a
handlebar bag, seems they'd be way more convenient than the downtube cages.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 17th 18, 05:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

On 2018-11-14 15:46, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

I always wondered why Bartali had such a lame career.
Imagine what he could have done with a vacuum tube radio and
a B battery:

https://picclick.com/Vintage-Rare-19...569926582.html

Old November 17th 18, 06:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Saturday, November 17, 2018 at 11:21:25 AM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 11/17/2018 10:05 AM, AMuzi wrote:

Real men prefer handlebar cages:

https://roma.corriere.it/methode_ima...e-Web-Roma.JPG

I don't understand why those went away. Assuming you're not using a
handlebar bag, seems they'd be way more convenient than the downtube cages.

--
- Frank Krygowski

I have a handlebar mounted cage on a couple of my road bikes. I even have a bottle that'll take a straw. that way I don't even have to remove the bottle from the cage to drink from it.

Btw, my MTB off-road touring bike also has a handlebar mounted bottle cage and I've yet to have a bottle launch itself from it on very rough terrain.

Cheers
Old November 17th 18, 07:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Saturday, November 17, 2018 at 8:21:25 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 11/17/2018 10:05 AM, AMuzi wrote:

Real men prefer handlebar cages:

https://roma.corriere.it/methode_ima...e-Web-Roma.JPG

I don't understand why those went away. Assuming you're not using a
handlebar bag, seems they'd be way more convenient than the downtube cages.

--
- Frank Krygowski

That is real estate now used for Garmins, Stages, etc. -- and for me, lights. I had a bar-mount bottle cage when I was a kid and don't remember anything about it or whether it had any affect on front-end feel. I think it would be weird having a bottle of water sloshing on the bar while I was climbing out of the saddle, but I don't know. The ancients apparently liked them.. The MTBers have trended to hydration packs. I don't want one, but they are the last word in convenience.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old November 17th 18, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

On 2018-11-14 15:46, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Mine is a little more aerodynamic and can be powered via USB :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old November 17th 18, 11:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 11/17/2018 12:03 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Saturday, November 17, 2018 at 11:21:25 AM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 11/17/2018 10:05 AM, AMuzi wrote:

Real men prefer handlebar cages:

https://roma.corriere.it/methode_ima...e-Web-Roma.JPG

I don't understand why those went away. Assuming you're not using a
handlebar bag, seems they'd be way more convenient than the downtube cages.

--
- Frank Krygowski

I have a handlebar mounted cage on a couple of my road bikes. I even have a bottle that'll take a straw. that way I don't even have to remove the bottle from the cage to drink from it.

When I did a double century (my only one) I did something similar. In my
handlebar bag I had an oversized water bottle fitted with a straw so I
could stay aero and get quick sips of water. It worked pretty well. I
remember thinking it would have been a bit better with a check valve in
the straw, but that was minor.

--
- Frank Krygowski