New Trek Pricing

Old April 5th 19, 07:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default New Trek Pricing

Trek is now probably making the most advanced and aero bikes on the market but the prices are staggering. This could end up being the end of them since it sort of indicates that their sales are so low they have to raise the prices to retain enough profits to continue on.

Trek is a large enough firm that they have a real engineering staff that really know what they're doing. It would be a shame to lose them.
Old April 5th 19, 08:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, April 5, 2019 at 1:16:40 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Trek is now probably making the most advanced and aero bikes on the market but the prices are staggering. This could end up being the end of them since it sort of indicates that their sales are so low they have to raise the prices to retain enough profits to continue on.

Trek is a large enough firm that they have a real engineering staff that really know what they're doing. It would be a shame to lose them.

Trek is simply following the long proven retail strategy used by almost all companies. Just like the automobile companies they have a few high end expensive cars. And many lower priced. They sell a few of the expensive ones and promote them extensively because it improves their image. But they make their money on selling tons of the lower priced models. Take Toyota for example. They make Lexus and sell a few of them. Some are probably up near $100k. But they sell far more of the $40-50k models. And they sell ten times as many regular Toyota Camrys and Corollas and Highlanders. Toyota makes its money from Toyota, not Lexus and not the most expensive Lexus models. I'm sure the profit margin is very high on Lexus and the expensive Lexus. After all they are just a Toyota with leather and gold paint. But the vast majority of the overall profit comes from selling middle and lower priced Toyota cars. And the cheaper Lexus models.

As for losing their engineering staff. I'm pretty sure all the big companies, Specialized, Trek, Giant, Cannondale, all have their bikes made by the exact same 3-4 carbon bike makers in China. They all just call the companies and tell them what to build this year.
Old April 5th 19, 11:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Fri, 5 Apr 2019 12:40:08 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

[...]

I thought that Trek bragged that their bikes were "built in America"?
--
cheers,

John B.

Old April 6th 19, 01:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

Not for quite a few years now. It used to be their top of the line Madone was made in Wisconsin. But they stopped that 5 years ago or so. Now I only think the Project One special paint color ones are painted in Wisconsin. Frames all made in China for every model.
Old April 6th 19, 03:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

Actually only a year or so ago. I got one of the first Taiwanese Emonda SLRs for the 2018 product year. It's a great bike. I got it pro deal, so I can't complain about the price, but even full price, it was a reasonably priced Ultegra build.

All flagship bikes are expensive -- go look at a Pinarello F10. $15K on sale! https://www.racycles.com/road/pinare...di2-bike-13746 Trek does have a serious engineering program, and in my opinion, they make great bikes -- not the cheapest bikes, but when you buy an Ultegra bike, you get an Ultegra bike and not a bike with Ultegra derailleurs, FSA cranks, Tektro brakes, etc., etc. My bike even had an Ultegra chain and cassette. What Trek doesn't have is sex appeal and European cachet. I would much rather have a Trek than any European bike because the warranty and dealer network means something to me.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old April 6th 19, 05:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

At amazingly cheaper cost then they could be manufactured in the U.S.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old April 6th 19, 03:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 4/5/2019 7:57 PM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

I would much rather have a Trek than any European bike because the warranty and dealer network means something to me.

Weren't you the person stating that you've gotten Cannondale frame
replacements under warranty multiple times?

This is a good approach--buy a product with a lifetime warranty that
keeps breaking and get free replacements. You won't get that if you buy
a no-name bicycle with a carbon frame, when it breaks you'll have to pay
full price for replacement.

There's a woman in another Usenet group that bought a car battery from
JC Penney back when they offered lifetime warranties with free
replacements (video of the ad at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZrNsRextok. Even though JC Penney
exited the auto repair business decades ago, 45 years later she is still
getting free replacements from the company that took over their auto
repair business (Firestone).
Old April 6th 19, 05:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Saturday, April 6, 2019 at 7:41:47 AM UTC-7, sms wrote:
On 4/5/2019 7:57 PM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

I would much rather have a Trek than any European bike because the warranty and dealer network means something to me.

Weren't you the person stating that you've gotten Cannondale frame
replacements under warranty multiple times?

Yes, Cannondale has been great. I have a Synapse that I got with insurance money after my wife drove the SuperSix under a low overhang while on the roof rack -- and my commuter is a CAADX warranty replacement frame for an earlier CAADX that cracked, their first production disc CX frame.

I got the Synapse on discount by bringing in the broken SuperSix frame -- even out of warranty, Cannondale has a trade-in program. BTW, the Trek replaced the SuperSix. The Synapse (super rain bike) replaced the stolen Roubaix which was my prior super rain bike.

There was a time when my SuperSix was broken, my Roubaix stolen and then my CAADX broke. I had no bikes except a 1969-79 Raleigh Pro track bike from my track racing days that I wasn't going to ride to work. So, I made beeline to Western Bikeworks and bought a Norco Search gravel bike on super-duper sale for $1,400 -- their best CF gravel frame with 105. Then I got a warranty replacement for the CAADX and then a replacement for the Roubaix (Synapse) and the SuperSix(Emonda) and then the Roubaix was recovered by the cops.. Too many bikes! I sold the Roubaix to my son who uses it as his fast winter commuter, but I still have a somewhat redundant Norco Search waiting for serious gravel riding.

I've broken many aluminum and steel frames. I've never broken a CF frame, except the roof-rack frame incident, and my Norco Search had a massive chain-suck incident while being ridden by my son. That was fixed by Ruckus. Not cheap, but the most incredible repair and re-spray I've seen. You cannot tell that the BB and chainstay were massively gouged. The paint matching is impeccable. Even as a cheap person, when I picked up the frame, I though, "hmmm, that was worth it." Shameless plug: https://www.ruckuscomp.com/ Yes, carbon is repairable, and with the price of paint jobs, probably no more (or not much more) expensive than repairing steel. BTW, the worst part of that repair was snaking all the hydraulic tubes and cables through the frame, and I was amazed that when it was manufactured that there were no rubber sleeves installed on the tubes, so then tended to rattle. I put on some sleeves and quieted down the bike when I put it back together.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old April 6th 19, 06:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

wrote:

[...]

As a data point, my 2013 CF Trek Domane says "Designed in Waterloo,
Wisconsin" on the seat stays. Pretty sure that tells us it wasn't made
there (or they'd be motivated to say so).

If there was a "made in" sticker, I either missed it or removed it
previously.

Mark J.

Old April 6th 19, 06:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

I would say that the top line Madone has more sex appeal than ANY other bike in the world.

2009 Pricing Qui si parla Campagnolo Techniques 67 December 1st 08 07:56 PM
Framebuilders pricing... Brendo Australia 50 May 22nd 07 08:06 AM
Torker AX pricing? sticknui Unicycling 6 September 8th 06 12:17 AM
UK Pricing Mike Mountain Biking 1 June 17th 06 09:04 AM
Pricing used bikes FFBSensei General 16 May 12th 04 07:06 AM