Mystery Aheadset

Old September 13th 09, 11:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brian Goldsmith[_2_]

Default Mystery Aheadset

I have acquired a road bike with mystery headset. On the outside it
says Cane Creek and Aheadset but when you tale the top off there is like
a rubber insert which i assume is expandable and there is a sort of disc
on the top of this rubber that has arrows pointing either way with 'H'
at the end of one arrow and 'S' at the end of the other arrow. I cant
fine it any catalogue but I would like to know what it is and what the H
& S are for. The disc doesnt seem move around easily and i havent
forced it.
Any help and or guidance would be appreciated
Brian
Old September 14th 09, 08:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doki

"Brian Goldsmith" wrote in message
I have acquired a road bike with mystery headset. On the outside it says
Cane Creek and Aheadset but when you tale the top off there is like a
rubber insert which i assume is expandable and there is a sort of disc on
the top of this rubber that has arrows pointing either way with 'H' at the
end of one arrow and 'S' at the end of the other arrow. I cant fine it any
catalogue but I would like to know what it is and what the H & S are for.
The disc doesnt seem move around easily and i havent forced it.
Any help and or guidance would be appreciated

Are you talking about the top cap? If so, it sounds like you have one of the
many star nut replacement devices. Have a look at
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/C...CategoryID=204 and see if
there's anything like what you're describing...

Old September 14th 09, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brian Goldsmith[_2_]

Thanks for that.. yes it looks as though its along those lines. I dont
see mine there but at least I have some thing to go on. further
research is needed now to find out exactly how it works and the set up
procedure.

Old September 14th 09, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doki

Doki wrote:
Are you talking about the top cap? If so, it sounds like you have one of
the many star nut replacement devices. Have a look at
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/C...CategoryID=204 and see
if there's anything like what you're describing...

Thanks for that.. yes it looks as though its along those lines. I dont
see mine there but at least I have some thing to go on. further research
is needed now to find out exactly how it works and the set up procedure.

I would expect tightening it clockwise would firstly expand the rubber, and
secondly, pull it upwards, to tension the headset bearing. You'll be able to
tell by feeling for play and binding in the bearing when you have tension
about right.

Sheldon Brown has a page on tensioning aheadsets, I think.

On the other hand, I quite like a star fangled nut and a normal topcap -
these things seem like a solution looking for a problem, unless you like to
swap forks very often.

Old September 14th 09, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke[_2_]

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/C...egoryID=204and see
if there's anything like what you're describing...

Thanks for that.. yes it looks as though its along those lines. *I dont
see mine there but at least I have some thing to go on. *further research
is needed now to find out exactly how it works and the set up procedure..

I would expect tightening it clockwise would firstly expand the rubber, and
secondly, pull it upwards, to tension the headset bearing. You'll be able to
tell by feeling for play and binding in the bearing when you have tension
about right.

Sheldon Brown has a page on tensioning aheadsets, I think.

On the other hand, I quite like a star fangled nut and a normal topcap -
these things seem like a solution looking for a problem, unless you like to
swap forks very often.

Or use forks with carbon steerer tubes, in which case star-fangled
nuts are an EXTREMELY bad idea.

How much play is normal from an aheadset? Duncan Smith UK 15 September 17th 07 11:15 AM
Aheadset - changing forks? Duncan Smith UK 6 March 8th 07 12:16 PM
Spacer in those Aheadset Artoi Techniques 28 September 19th 06 10:06 AM
Aheadset question John Hearns UK 8 March 11th 04 10:55 PM
Carbon forks and aheadset GaryB UK 3 September 1st 03 04:59 PM