Have too many bikes?

Old July 30th 08, 01:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
bluezfolk

Default Have too many bikes?

On Jul 27, 10:40 am, wrote:
Ablang wrote:
What are we doing?
Does anyone else here believe that they (or their SOs) have way too
many bikes?

Wouldn't that be sorta like "too many Beethoven symphonies?"

Bill

__o | Fear not the path of truth for the lack
_`\(,_ | of people walking on it.
(_)/ (_) | --Robert F. Kennedy

Personally I think 1 Beethoven symphony would be to much, whereas
with bicycles several would be an acceptable amount.
Old July 31st 08, 10:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Tom Sherman wrote:
Leo Lichtman wrote:
wrote in message
Ablang wrote:
What are we doing?
Does anyone else here believe that they (or their SOs) have way too
many bikes?
Wouldn't that be sorta like "too many Beethoven symphonies?"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ten would be too manym 'kuz one would be a fake.

There are a couple of "reconstructions" of Beethoven's 10th Symphony
from the sketches he left. Unfortunately, very little is Beethoven, and
the reconstructions are musically disappointing and in all likelihood
not very close to what Beethoven intended.

There's also something called the "Battle Symphony," or "Wellington's
Victory." It commemorates the British/Prussian victory at Waterloo. It
gave the world a melodic line that most know better as "The bear went over
the mountain."
IIRC, that is. Anyway, the point is, if Ludwig himself had written
more, wouldn't you be glad?

Bill

__o | Si hoc legere scis,
_`\(,_ | nimium eruditionis habes.
(_)/ (_) |
Old August 2nd 08, 01:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:
Leo Lichtman wrote:
wrote in message
Ablang wrote:
What are we doing?
Does anyone else here believe that they (or their SOs) have way too
many bikes?
Wouldn't that be sorta like "too many Beethoven symphonies?"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ten would be too manym 'kuz one would be a fake.

There are a couple of "reconstructions" of Beethoven's 10th Symphony
from the sketches he left. Unfortunately, very little is Beethoven, and
the reconstructions are musically disappointing and in all likelihood
not very close to what Beethoven intended.

There's also something called the "Battle Symphony," or "Wellington's
Victory." It commemorates the British/Prussian victory at Waterloo. It
gave the world a melodic line that most know better as "The bear went over
the mountain."

The tune is "Malbrough" though usually referred to by English writers as
"Marlborough". The origin is unknown but pre-dates the 18th Century.
Sometime after 1709 it was set too words as "Malbrough s'en va-t-en
guerre" and became popular in Paris starting in 1721.

IIRC, that is. Anyway, the point is, if Ludwig himself had written
more, wouldn't you be glad?

Beethoven, Schubert, Bruckner, Dvorák and Mahler all produced nine
symphonies and died. If I were a composer, I would stop at eight.

“Mary had a little lamb / And when she saw it sicken /
She shipped it off to Packingtown / And now it’s labeled chicken.”
Old August 4th 08, 02:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
"Leo Lichtman" writes:

"Tom Keats" wrote: (clip) I also possess a slide rule collection. (clip)
Tom, I tried to send you a picture of an interesting sliderule, but the
e-mail bounced. If you would like to see it, send me a usable address.

My real addy is:

The most interesting slide rule I've heard of was a very large
model, mounted on the sides of pickup trucks. It was used by
engineers designing hydro-electric dams in British Columbia.

The engineer would be on one side of the river, and the truck-borne
slide rule on the other. The engineer would look at the slide rule
through binoculars or a transit, and instruct the guy on the other
side as to where to move the slide and cursor.

Circular slide "rules" are profoundly rare nowadays.

I've heard from erstwhile electronics techies about how they'd
avoid slide rules with aluminum frames, opting instead for
wooden ones. Apparently there was a tendency to temporarily
place the rule upon a transformer or other active component,
and possibly get zapped when retrieving a more conductive
slide rule.

One of those Big slide rules, a circular rule, and something
with a vernier cursor would round-out my collection quite nicely.

There are some specifically navigational slide rules that are
quite intriguing, too.

It's notable, how the humble slide rule so enabled
space exploration. That, and understanding how pin-ball
machines work. I bet Galileo would've been manically
obsessed by pin-ball machines, figuring out how they work.

cheers, and tip o' the hat to Kueffel & Esser,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old August 5th 08, 02:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Tom Keats wrote:
The best way to fully understand logarithms & trig stuff is to
actually hold it in your hands, and make it real and tangible.

"According to the Old Testament, the last time God got fed up with the
mess humans had made of the Earth, He instructed Noah to build a big
watertight vessel and stock it with one breeding pair of every living
thing and provisions for 40 days. Those lucky few would thus ride out
God’s planned 'ethnic cleansing' of serious but unspecified earthly
“wickedness”(perhaps gay marriage and evolution?) and survive to
replenish the Earth.

Of course not everything went according to plan. Apparently a couple of
snakes balked at the instructions relayed by Noah to "Go forth and
multiply," claiming that they couldn’t do that because they were Adders.

But Noah was no dummy. He cobbled together a table out of some tree
trunks and presented it to the snakes, saying: "This is a log table. Now
you can multiply by adding.” - Caroline Arnold

Old August 5th 08, 07:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Leo Lichtman

"Tom Sherman" wrote: (clip) But Noah was no dummy. He cobbled together a
table out of some tree
trunks and presented it to the snakes, saying: "This is a log table. Now
you can multiply by adding.” (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Please, Tom--you need help. It's a good old joke, but the punch line should
be, "With log tables, even adders can multiply."

Old August 7th 08, 03:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John Thompson

On 2008-08-04, Tom Keats wrote:

The most interesting slide rule I've heard of was a very large
model, mounted on the sides of pickup trucks. It was used by
engineers designing hydro-electric dams in British Columbia.

Like this?

http://www.os2.dhs.org/~john/sliderule.jpg

--

John )