[rant] Idiots at Shimano

Old December 10th 04, 06:04 PM
Werehatrack

Default [rant] Idiots at Shimano

Well, the *&^%$#@ idiots at Shimano who build the company website seem
to have decided to script the bloody thing in a manner that my
security settings won't support in any of the browsers that I run. I
have no doubt whatsoever that they do not, in any way, shape or form,
actually *need* any of those gongs and calliopes to deliver the
content; it's purely an exercise in technical willy-wagging, and I,
for one, have had more than enough of it.

They can fix the damn thing or just accept the fact that lots of
people won't see their wankings. Any advertising that can't be
delivered is worthless, but they do not seem to have figured that out.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old December 10th 04, 06:14 PM
Diablo Scott

Werehatrack wrote:

Well, the *&^%$#@ idiots at Shimano who build the company website seem
to have decided to script the bloody thing in a manner that my
security settings won't support in any of the browsers that I run. I
have no doubt whatsoever that they do not, in any way, shape or form,
actually *need* any of those gongs and calliopes to deliver the
content; it's purely an exercise in technical willy-wagging, and I,
for one, have had more than enough of it.

They can fix the damn thing or just accept the fact that lots of
people won't see their wankings. Any advertising that can't be
delivered is worthless, but they do not seem to have figured that out.

Resistance is futile.
This is part of the assimilation process.
There is nothing to fear.

--
My bike blog:
http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/
Old December 10th 04, 06:17 PM
Peter Cole

"Werehatrack" wrote in message
Well, the *&^%$#@ idiots at Shimano who build the company website seem
to have decided to script the bloody thing in a manner that my
security settings won't support in any of the browsers that I run.

Bitch at them, not us.

Old December 10th 04, 06:34 PM

Bitch at them, not us.

Can you possibly be more hypocritical?
I don't mind Werehatrack's rant, but if you
do, then bitch at him, not us, Einstein.

Old December 10th 04, 09:00 PM

Werehatrack wrote:
They can fix the damn thing or just accept the fact that lots of
people won't see their wankings. Any advertising that can't be
delivered is worthless, but they do not seem to have figured that

out.
--

It looks like the home page at http://www.shimano.com/ is all bent out
of shape. There's no difference in appearance between

I'd bet they're updating the pages and there's still some wires hanging
loose. I'd guess they don't have anything in the way of formal software
QA- a common failing among smaller companies who depend on outsourced
software development.

I've always looked at http://www.shimano-europe.com/cycling/ anyway.
It's got a wider range of content that's easier for me to access.
Jeff Wills (unemployed software QA guy)

Old December 10th 04, 09:20 PM

Some web designers are clueless; they want to add the latest and
greatest, blah blah blah. But the worse sin is that they rarely test
under alternative browsers. Weather.com does not work properly under
current Gecko derivatives, for example. I could go on and on.

But in this case, I have to say the blame is likely to be yours. I run
multiple browsers (IE 5.5, IE 6.0, Netscape 7.0, Firefox 1.0, Konqueror
3.2.1, Galeon 1.3.12, Amaya .....) and in secure environments, both at
the workstation and at the firewall level. Shimano's site works fine
in all. If I can get it it work in IE 6.0 under XP SP 2 with all
firewalling turned on sitting behind a hardware firewall that blocks
JavaScript then I do not see why you should have problems unless you
have done something strange.

- rick

Old December 10th 04, 09:34 PM

Jeff Wills writes:

They can fix the damn thing or just accept the fact that lots of
people won't see their wankings. Any advertising that can't be
delivered is worthless, but they do not seem to have figured that
out.

It looks like the home page at

http://www.shimano.com/

is all bent out of shape. There's no difference in appearance
between

http://www.shimano.com/publish/conte...ll/all/en.html and
http://www.shimano.com/publish/conte...thAmerica.html

I suspect there are other things afoot because all three of the URL's
above show the same result on my screen, and load at the same rate.
It may be my Windows XP that is different but it seems to have no
problem.

I'd bet they're updating the pages and there's still some wires
hanging loose. I'd guess they don't have anything in the way of
formal software QA- a common failing among smaller companies who
depend on outsourced software development.

I've always looked at

http://www.shimano-europe.com/cycling/

anyway. It's got a wider range of content that's easier for me to
access.

I've found that site better all along. I don't understand why Shimano
separates the two.

Jobst Brandt

Old December 10th 04, 10:45 PM
Werehatrack

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 21:34:15 GMT,
wrote:

Jeff Wills writes:

I've always looked at

http://www.shimano-europe.com/cycling/

anyway. It's got a wider range of content that's easier for me to
access.

I've found that site better all along. I don't understand why Shimano
separates the two.

Perhaps the people at Shimano Europe have a clue, and insist upon a
more useful site.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old December 10th 04, 11:10 PM

[...]