Speedplay v. Time

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 22nd 04, 08:06 PM
Bob M

Default Speedplay v. Time

I just bought Time pedals again after having Speedplay. My thoughts:

Time:

Positives: good, easy engagement; nice "click" in and out; I like the
wider/longer platform; the cleats aren't hard to walk on; the cleats get
ride of mud/dirt relatively easily and it doesn't take a while to clip in
after going through dirt.

Negatives: not as much float as Speedplay; sometimes I can feel the pedal
in a way that I didn't with Speedplay.

Speedplay:

Positives: great float; the pedals disappear.

Negatives: I had a very hard time getting these to engage under the best
of circumstances. Sometimes it would take me 0.6 miles (yes, I looked) to
get the pedals to click in. One time, I rode about 20 miles with one
cleat clicked out, as it simply would not click in. If I went in mud or
dirt, it was impossible to get clicked in with any dirt on the cleat. In
AZ, I never went in the dirt, so this would be a non-issue. In CT, I go
in the dirt all the time, so this is very important. The "click" sound
from these isn't pronounced. Many times, I had no idea whether I was
clicked in or not until I pulled up.

General notes: The cleat life for Speedplays for me was terrible: less
than one season of riding in CT. For Times, I don't know what the cleat
life will be. I know that platform size isn't supposed to matter, but the
larger platform of the Times just seems better to me. (I did also buy
Time shoes, though.) The bonus is that I bought Time shoes AND Time
impact pedals for about the cost of the Speedplay X/2s.

In AZ, I'd take either pedal, although I lean toward Time even in good
weather. In CT, I simply have to choose Time over Speedplay as I go
through so much dirt and other crap that I could never get the Speedplays
to work well without cleaning every time I go into the woods or through a
puddle or through grass. Unfortunately, I have to go through a lot of
that stuff just to get my bike from my house to the road. So, I'm
constantly cleaning the cleat on Speedplays or just riding not clicked in.

--
Bob M
remove ".x" to reply