Ultegra v. Dura Ace

Old April 3rd 04, 04:14 AM
Raoul Duke

Default Ultegra v. Dura Ace

I am in the market place for a new bike and I am considering the differences
between Ultegra and Dura Ace. I used to race road bikes (Cat IV) about
12-15 years ago, and my old bike was equipped with Dura Ace components. I
really loved Dura Ace compared to the old Shimano 600 (which I undertand was
replaced by Ultegra).

My question is: what is most peoples' experience with the difference
between the two component groups? Is a bike equipped with Dura Ace worth
the extra $1,000 as compared to a similar bike equipped with Ultegra?

I would like to get back into racing and triathlons, but I am primarily
interested in riding on weekends and one or two times during the week. I
want something that will last for a lot of years. Is Dura Ace much more
durable than Ultegra?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

RD

Old April 3rd 04, 04:31 AM
Steven L. Sheffield

Ultegra == 0.98 Dura-Ace quality @ 0.70 Dura-Ace price.

On 04/02/2004 08:14 PM, in article
, "Raoul Duke"

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com

Old April 3rd 04, 04:44 AM
RWM

"Raoul Duke" wrote in message
SNIP
My question is: what is most peoples' experience with the difference
between the two component groups? Is a bike equipped with Dura Ace worth
the extra $1,000 as compared to a similar bike equipped with Ultegra?

I would like to get back into racing and triathlons, but I am primarily
interested in riding on weekends and one or two times during the week. I
want something that will last for a lot of years. Is Dura Ace much more
durable than Ultegra?

SNIP

This has always been an easy question for me to answer. In my view unless
you are top category racer in true racing form, or a gear head, there is no
reason to purchase DA over Ultegra. The performance characteristics are
extremely close and the weight differences really don't effect a typical
racer. Most racers can easily lose the weight delta from their fat reserves
and save the $$$.

Have fun

Old April 3rd 04, 04:59 AM
Tom Kunich

"Raoul Duke" wrote in message
I am in the market place for a new bike and I am considering the

differences
between Ultegra and Dura Ace. I used to race road bikes (Cat IV) about
12-15 years ago, and my old bike was equipped with Dura Ace components. I
really loved Dura Ace compared to the old Shimano 600 (which I undertand

was
replaced by Ultegra).

It's sort of a matter of taste. I had the second set of DuraAce STI shifter
in the area and I thought that they were the cat's meow. I've since had
several bikes with Ultegra on them and although the quality is every bit as
good in my opinion, they feel totally different. Ultegra doesn't "click"
like DuraAce and I don't like that.

But more to the point - most of my bikes have been switched to Campy for
years. Campy levers feel better, shift at least as well (for a triple they
shift quite a bit better in my estimation) and the Centaur group is priced
about like an Ultegra group and I'd rate it better than Ultegra or even
DuraAce in operational characteristics. DuraAce is good stuff, no doubt, but
you don't gain much going to DuraAce.

Old April 3rd 04, 06:15 AM
Jim Flom

"Raoul Duke" wrote ...
I used to race road bikes

First of all, please accept my appreciation for stating "used" correctly.
You don't know how many people come in here and say "I use to ..."

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Second, two words: Campy Chorus. However, since you remind me of myself
five years ago, if you have the money and you live where people care, you'll
impress your friends with Dura-Ace. If you care about value, Ultegra should
be just fine. And no one with their head screwed on straight will snub
their nose at "U."

Jim "Nothing Like Campy" Flom

Old April 3rd 04, 07:48 AM
Steven L. Sheffield

On 04/02/2004 10:15 PM, in article XLrbc.1521$Sh4.1047@edtnps84, "Jim Flom"
wrote:

Second, two words: Campy Chorus.

Blasphemer.

Three words and a number: Campy Record Carbon 10

Old April 3rd 04, 08:26 AM
Faster Bordello

wrote:

Second, two words: Campy Chorus.

Blasphemer.

Three words and a number: Campy Record Carbon 10

04 Chorus 10, there, two two digit numbers and one word...
top that. Most (All?) of the carbon of Record at usd400 less.....

OK with 9 speed? Or do you just have to have 10? DA is the only current
Brand S offering in 10, Ultegra is suposed to be out next year.. (?)

That being said I have one of each, Ultegra 9 and Chorus 10. Which is
best? **** they both work really nicely. You mind looking at the Brand
S cable routings or do you like the cleaner (IMHO) routings of Brand C?
My right ultegra shifter is a bit sloppy after 3000 miles, but still
works. The Campy levers feel a bit small, but all in all I like the
chorus better (Qualifier, the Chorus is brand freaken new with 25 miles
on it...).

My .02... If your not a full blown gearhead or a Pro racer, Ultegra or
Chorus (even Centaur..) will be just fine.

As always this is an uncompensated opinion, YMMV.

FB - apologises for making this another Campy v Shimano thread.
Old April 3rd 04, 01:59 PM
smiles

"Raoul Duke" wrote in message
My question is: what is most peoples' experience with the difference
between the two component groups? Is a bike equipped with Dura Ace worth
the extra $1,000 as compared to a similar bike equipped with Ultegra?

When someone else is paying the bills ... Dura-ace or Record ... when YOU
are paying the bills, Ultegra or Chorus. If money is not a problem get the
lesser and upgrade wheels!! Maybe get DA shifters they do have a very
different feel to them ... you'll have to adjust out the 10'th cog which is
a hack.

http://boardnbike.com

Old April 3rd 04, 03:08 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

raoul- My question is: what is most peoples' experience with the difference
between the two component groups? Is a bike equipped with Dura Ace worth
the extra $1,000 as compared to a similar bike equipped with Ultegra?
BRBR

10s DA or 9s?

If 9s, I would stay away as these components are not going to be supported for
long.

As for 9s Ultegra, expect a huge change to 10s for 2005...

The weak link in shimano is the non-repairability of the levers-

have ya considered Chorus and Centaur? Cheaper and repairable.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Dura Ace vs. Ultegra STI Churchill General 16 July 15th 04 01:35 PM
Ultegra Shifter/brake TAT 57 General 3 July 9th 04 10:34 PM
Ultegra triple chainring question Harry Hellerman General 8 May 10th 04 02:49 PM
Ultegra v. Dura Ace Raoul Duke General 5 April 6th 04 05:01 AM
Ultegra cassette markings? David Kerber General 4 December 13th 03 06:44 PM