So many bikes, so many people, America exercises.

Old April 10th 05, 09:44 PM
Maggie

Default So many bikes, so many people, America exercises.

I just arrived home from biking in Brookdale Park. My favorite park in
my area. This is the park where all good people go on a beautiful day
to participate in their sport of choice.

For the first time I noticed how many bikes were in the park. Many
riders were women with baskets on the front of their bikes. I guess
they are the Fredericos. There were many Freds as well. All enjoying
themselves.

I noticed the brands of bikes, the types of types, who was riding them.
I stopped to chat with a little girl on a little pink bike with her
little pink helmet. It was a blast.

Everyone was very friendly. Going up the hills, there was alot of bike
walking. So people chatted on the way up. It was delightful.

We seem to make fun of Americans and their lack of exercise, but I
would never know it from what I experienced in the park today. It was
packed with people. Runners, walkers, cyclists, skaters....you name
it, I saw it.

There was a group of gentleman participating in an archery tournament
and the tennis courts were packed. Every court had a doubles match
going. Every path was filled with people exercising. Each in his/her
own way.

Even the children were running around tossing baseballs, throwing
frisbees, riding their bikes with Mommy and Daddy. It was just
wonderful to see. I really came home with a happy heart.

This particular park is where I will be doing my March of Dimes Walk
May 1st. Until today I did not notice how hilly it is. I used to walk
the track when I went there to exercise. The walk will be all around
the park. AND IT IS HILLY!!! I am hoping we have a day just as
beautiful as today and I think I better get on the treadmill and
prepare for that walk. Hopefully the gym has put me in better shape
than I was last year. :-)

OH, I did have a slight problem with "ON YOUR LEFT" when a jogger was
passing me. But I managed NOT to run him over or send him to the ER.

If this country is a country of over eating, tv watching slugs, you
would not be able to prove it today in the park. It was a joy to see.
Truly a joy. I hope you all had a wonderful day as well.

Train equally, the mind, the body and the heart. Especially the HEART.
Love,
Maggie.

Old April 10th 05, 09:51 PM
Neil Brooks

"Maggie" wrote:

We seem to make fun of Americans and their lack of exercise, but I
would never know it from what I experienced in the park today. It was
packed with people. Runners, walkers, cyclists, skaters....you name
it, I saw it.

Next time, after you leave the park, let us know how crowded the
parking lot is at the nearby regional mall....

It's all relative.
Old April 10th 05, 10:19 PM
The Wogster

Maggie wrote:
[...]

Here in Toronto it was warm and sunny, I was walking in the park in just
a T-shirt, according to Environment Canada the airport was 18C/65F at G
Ross Lord park, it had to be at least 20C/68F. Trees are starting to
bud, lots of people out walking, and lots of people on bikes. I was
heading to Edwards Gardens, but the parking lot was more then full....
I still plan on getting a bike, just hasn't happened yet.....

Old April 10th 05, 10:42 PM
GaryG

"Maggie" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You got passed by a jogger? Oh, the humanity....

Old April 11th 05, 12:41 AM
Gooserider

Maybe it's that way where you are, but here in the heart of redneck Florida
exercise is a foreign concept. Perhaps it's because so many guys work
contruction or other physically taxing jobs, but I can ride my bike from one
side of the county to another and not see another bike. Well, except for the
DUI riders, of course.

Old April 11th 05, 12:42 AM
Maggie

Neil Brooks wrote:
"Maggie" wrote:

We seem to make fun of Americans and their lack of exercise, but I
would never know it from what I experienced in the park today. It

was
packed with people. Runners, walkers, cyclists, skaters....you name
it, I saw it.

Next time, after you leave the park, let us know how crowded the
parking lot is at the nearby regional mall....

It's all relative.

We can also have a positive outlook or a negative one. I was in the
park and it was packed with people exercising. This is a good thing.
I am sure the malls were crowded to, but today I saw the better half.
And it was great.
Love,
Maggie

Old April 11th 05, 12:55 AM
Cheto

"Neil Brooks" wrote in message

Next time, after you leave the park, let us know how crowded the
parking lot is at the nearby regional mall....

It's all relative.

I don't get it. People who exercise don't shop, and people who shop don't
exercise?

Cheto

Old April 11th 05, 12:56 AM
bbaka

Gooserider wrote:
Maybe it's that way where you are, but here in the heart of redneck Florida
exercise is a foreign concept. Perhaps it's because so many guys work
contruction or other physically taxing jobs, but I can ride my bike from one
side of the county to another and not see another bike. Well, except for the
DUI riders, of course.

Physically taxing jobs are not necessarily Cardio workout jobs. Many of
these laborers die early from heart attacks because they are not getting
the proper kind of exercise.
Just a thought.
Bill Baka
Old April 11th 05, 12:56 AM
Rich

Gooserider wrote:

Maybe it's that way where you are, but here in the heart of redneck Florida
exercise is a foreign concept.

Here on the eastern side of the Rocky mountians bicyclists are
everywhere. When I was a kid in IL nobody over 16 rode a bike anywhere.
So either it's the location, the time, or both. Either way, it's a
good thing.

Rich
Old April 11th 05, 01:01 AM
Neil Brooks

"Cheto" wrote:

"Neil Brooks" wrote in message

Next time, after you leave the park, let us know how crowded the
parking lot is at the nearby regional mall....

It's all relative.

I don't get it. People who exercise don't shop, and people who shop don't
exercise?

Cheto

I don't tend to speak in absolutes.

Maggie said "We seem to make fun of Americans and their lack of
exercise, but I would never know it from what I experienced in the
park today. It was packed with people. Runners, walkers, cyclists,
skaters, ...."

My point was simply this: I believe that far more Americans spend
their weekends shopping in the malls than getting exercise in the
great outdoors.

When you're in the jam-packed super-regional mall on a Saturday, it
looks like *everybody's* shopping. When you're in the park, it looks
like they're all outdoors, playing.

I was neither trying to be negative nor to cast aspersions on those
who *were* in Maggie's local park enjoying themselves.