Any problem with the plastic suspension parts on a SpecializedS-Works Tarmac road bike?

Old April 16th 19, 06:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Any problem with the plastic suspension parts on a SpecializedS-Works Tarmac road bike?

On 4/16/2019 9:33 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, April 16, 2019 at 6:06:57 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/16/2019 6:25 AM, Duane wrote:
James wrote:
On 15/4/19 1:58 am, wrote:
One of my sons, who is pretty big and strong,, rides an S-Works
Tarmac CF frame (about a 2006 model or so) with the plastic
(polymer??) bits in the forks and the chainstays. It seems to be in
excellent condition. Have you ever heard of any problems with the
plastic suspension bits disintegrating or breaking after a long time?
Thanks!

Perhaps a better question is do the plastic suspension bits actually do
anything?

Maybe but I didn’t notice much difference. I run 90 psi with my HED wheels
though. Maybe @ 120psi on rough roads?

I have a couple friends who have them. They noticed no difference at all.

How would they? You would have to have a Zert and non-Zert frame for comparison.

The person I talked to the most about it was comparing the bike with her
previous steel bike (which she still has and rides). She said she
couldn't feel any difference in ride comfort between the two bikes.

I know that some people seem to be real connoisseurs of ride quality.
Perhaps those people can feel that diminishing of 440 Hz vibrations.
Perhaps she's just not as sensitive.

I know I'm not. I've gotten complaints from other club members for
leading rides on rough roads and even on a little (gasp!) gravel. I rode
my old Cannondale, a touring bike famed for its rigidity.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 17th 19, 10:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

James wrote:
On 15/4/19 1:58 am, wrote:
[...]

Many people wouldn't be able to feel the difference between the ride of my Basso Loto and my Pinarello Stelvio but it sticks out quite strikingly to me. My Time VX with the 28 mm tires on it is so superior to the steel bikes that even a novice would know the difference. The Colnago rides not quite as good as the Time but it is PERFECTLY balanced to my size. Last Saturday people were going around these corners that were so dangerous that they had assigned flagmen to them. I was going twice the speed of others in those corners without the slightest bother. Possibly part of that could have been the Continental GP5000's. The Vittoria Corsa G+'s corner with more confidence but I think that it would be easier and safer to change angles with the Continentals.