IQ-X vs Edelux II

Old April 5th 19, 01:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

Default IQ-X vs Edelux II

Let the games begin!!!

I ride the IQ-X as it was cheaper by a fair mark than the Edelux, and
it's by far and away the best of many dynamo lights I've used, if
eye-wateringly expensive.

Any Edelux users out there? Anybody tried both?
Old April 5th 19, 02:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, April 5, 2019 at 2:21:39 PM UTC+2, Tosspot wrote:
Let the games begin!!!

I ride the IQ-X as it was cheaper by a fair mark than the Edelux, and
it's by far and away the best of many dynamo lights I've used, if
eye-wateringly expensive.

Any Edelux users out there? Anybody tried both?

I have a Edelux II on both my winter evening bikes. Very good light, I 'upgraded' both with the new coax connector this winter. Much easier wheel removal. I didn't try both, I buy just the best light at that moment. I don't like plastic housings. My survived a crash last winter.

Lou
Old April 5th 19, 07:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, April 5, 2019 at 6:38:55 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, April 5, 2019 at 2:21:39 PM UTC+2, Tosspot wrote:
Let the games begin!!!

I ride the IQ-X as it was cheaper by a fair mark than the Edelux, and
it's by far and away the best of many dynamo lights I've used, if
eye-wateringly expensive.

Any Edelux users out there? Anybody tried both?

I have a Edelux II on both my winter evening bikes. Very good light, I 'upgraded' both with the new coax connector this winter. Much easier wheel removal. I didn't try both, I buy just the best light at that moment. I don't like plastic housings. My survived a crash last winter.

Lou

https://www.darkerside.org/2017/02/b...dlight-review/

"Would I buy it again? Nope" - he thinks that the beam is too narrow and the lack of a battery backup hinders visibility at a stop.
Old April 7th 19, 11:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, April 5, 2019 at 1:21:39 PM UTC+1, Tosspot wrote:
Let the games begin!!!

I ride the IQ-X as it was cheaper by a fair mark than the Edelux, and
it's by far and away the best of many dynamo lights I've used, if
eye-wateringly expensive.

Any Edelux users out there? Anybody tried both?

One thing to beware of is the claim "This lamp has the same optics as the Cyo." Immediately a question arises, "Which Cyo?" Even the original Cyo had two sets of optics, one for a long, narrow beam -- that's the one without a reflector, and one with a slightly wider beam with a reflector built-in. The Cyo types may be thought of as the commuter, road training and elite trainer version, the Edelux being the elite version. Even the commuter Cyo has inadequate side throw, and the two faster versions have totally inadequate side throw.

At http://coolmainpress.com/BICYCLINGbuildingpedelec6.html I show the BUMM Fly-E, a 36V lamp to use with electric bikes, also said to "have the same optic as the Cyo". It is clearly a strong lamp, but with several shortcomings that the Cyos don't have. Anyone who has both will understand what I'm getting at: for a start, the Cyo doesn't have that unfortunate hotspot. I've given up on the Fly and gone back to the first series Cyo type with the reflector as the least eye-tiring of the BUMM lamps.

In my opinion, the Cyo is the first barely* adequate bicycle lamp by any manufacturer with universal distribution. Leaving aside the matter of the top cutoff, the Cyo is still inferior the MR11 and MR16 lamps I built to Scharfie's plans (a public service to cyclists) lo! these many years ago. Before the Cyo, regardless of the crude peer pressure of the BUMMbuddies on this forum, BUMM lamps were totally inadequate crap.

Actually, BUMM made another lamp, the Big Bang, that with a piece of black tape across the top of its glass to shape the beam to something less aggressive, would have been pretty good. But the price of the one lent to me was around Euro 700 and you were never going to drive lamp that hungry for current with a hub dynamo.

Andre Jute
The best is isn't always good enough

** Now watch the wretched Krygowski screech "Danger! Danger!" merely for wanting to see obstructions at night. There is no, repeat no, reason a bicyclist shouldn't wish for lamps at least the equivalent of those on a European (not American) motorcar. To argue contrarily, as Kreepy Krygo does, is to concede in advance that cyclist have less claim to the road -- and to safety -- than motorists.

Old April 7th 19, 11:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, April 5, 2019 at 2:38:55 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Friday, April 5, 2019 at 2:21:39 PM UTC+2, Tosspot wrote:
Let the games begin!!!

I ride the IQ-X as it was cheaper by a fair mark than the Edelux, and
it's by far and away the best of many dynamo lights I've used, if
eye-wateringly expensive.

Any Edelux users out there? Anybody tried both?

I have a Edelux II on both my winter evening bikes. Very good light, I 'upgraded' both with the new coax connector this winter. Much easier wheel removal. I didn't try both, I buy just the best light at that moment. I don't like plastic housings. My survived a crash last winter.

Lou

You could try the small gold-plated silver or even solid gold connectors that some audiophiles swear by. I have some, but I prefer silver and then gold plated tellurium copper, pretty standard but made with punctilio. Gold over, say, nickel and silver layers on copper, might even let through a fraction of an amp more than standard coax which are usually designed for the mass consumer or military markets, none of which are into the highest current transfer efficiency.

Andre Jute
Skkkkeptic!
Old April 8th 19, 12:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/7/2019 5:07 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

Oh, really?

Nothing wrong with good lighting (people's criteria and
standards, if any, do vary of course).

Lights adequate to 90mph on older (curvier, hillier than
modern) 2-lane roads are ridiculous overkill for a bicycle.

Ride what you like, lighten up on the advice.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 8th 19, 01:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sun, 07 Apr 2019 18:24:30 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

[...]

Good Lord! Don't you understand that MY lights are so superior that it
is my duty to convert everyone to my system?
(St. John as it were :-)

--
cheers,

John B.

Old April 8th 19, 02:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Monday, April 8, 2019 at 12:24:36 AM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Sure. I've just said so, haven't I?

Nothing wrong with good lighting (people's criteria and
standards, if any, do vary of course).

That's pablum for cyclists who bring forward their prejudices from the Peugeot 10 speed era. For anyone who comes to cycling with an open mind, bicycle lights are, until the recent arrival of the Cyo, so far from adequacy as to be risible.

Lights adequate to 90mph on older (curvier, hillier than
modern) 2-lane roads are ridiculous overkill for a bicycle.

I'm not asking for a flammenwerfer. I'd just like a better lamp on my bike than a VW Beetle from the 6V era of decidedly unfold memory. Hell, if it will keep the peace with the bicycle-component-pushers, I'd even accept a bicycle lamp only as strong as those limp items fitted to American cars.

Ride what you like, lighten up on the advice.

WTF gives rise to this hostility and silly misinterpretation of what I said? I offered no advice except the sentence starting "One thing to beware of is the claim..." and that is advice I'm well qualified to offer as a professional wordsmith and a distinguished marketer. The rest is merely opinion on lamps I own and have used. If you don't like my opinion, offer better, or lump it.

--
Andrew Muzi

Jesus Christ, Muzi, what crawled over you liver?

Andre Jute
Baffled
Old April 8th 19, 02:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Monday, April 8, 2019 at 1:42:52 AM UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

You're thicker than two short planks together, Slow Johnny. I said exactly the opposite of what you claim. I said, in words of one syllable just for you: THE BEST AVAILABLE LAMPS ARE NOT, REPEAT NOT, SUPERIOR. IN FACT THEY FALL SO FAR SHORT OF EVEN SUFFICIENCY THAT THEY ARE BARELY ADEQUATE.

Now, HTF does that square with your "Don't you understand that MY lights are so superior that it is my duty to convert everyone to my system?"

Oh, and BTW, there is no need to proselytise for the Cyo lamps I use: the majority of posters on RBT already use Cyo and its derivatives like the Edelux and the IQ etc.

If you're this ignorant, you should put a valve on that spout of malicious words.

Andre Jute
Who let this leprechaun loose?

Edelux II at low speeds and walking. Lou Holtman[_7_] Techniques 10 December 24th 14 04:03 AM
Reduced rear standlight time with Edelux Danny Colyer UK 3 January 14th 09 07:21 PM
Edelux - Wow! Danny Colyer UK 10 November 25th 08 10:05 PM
Solidlight 1203D or Edelux? none UK 5 May 27th 08 06:03 PM