No Helmets Needed?

Old January 15th 06, 11:52 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

Default No Helmets Needed?

"The Wogster" wrote in message
Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]
The Ancients were human beings of course, but sufficiently different from
us in their thinking that we need not concern ourselves with them. Even
the Greeks and the Romans were not much better.The only kind of
civilization I care about began with the West at about the time of the
Renaissance in Italy.

However if it had not been for the rise and fall of the Italian (Roman)
Empire, then the Italian Renaissance, might have never happened.

There was nothing Italian about Ancient Rome. However, there was everything
Italian about Renaissance Italy. I do not like to see Rome given too much
credit for the rise of Europe.
[...]

Did you know that Aristotle thought women had fewer teeth in their mouth
than men. It apparently never occurred to him to look inside a woman's
mouth and count the teeth. What do you make of that? So much for logic!

That's not logic, perhaps the women he did look at, had lost a few teeth
by that time, so he figured they had less, perhaps with a larger sample
size, the possible truth of his idea would have disappeared.....

Yes, you are thinking like a man of the West, but Aristotle was thinking
like a Greek. Huge difference!

The High Middle Ages were quite innovative in very many technical ways,
but still they lacked scientific thinking. Technology is not science and
is always severely limited in what it can know.

Science and Technology are close relatives. Science is the knowledge,
technology is the implementation of that knowledge. No technology now in
existance, would exist without some scientific discovery.

Very sophisticated technology can exist without any foundation in science
whatsoever. The High Middle Ages proved that.

Here is an example, the science: If you take methane gas, and apply heat
you get a chemical reaction (fire). This lead to the technology behind
the natural gas furnace. One that I am happy about this morning, in that
the temperature outside is -12C, so I don't have to go out and chop wood
this morning.

The rise of science only occurred in the West. It is why Western
Civilization is now dominant in the world. Why it occurred in the West and
nowhere else is very mysterious, but I attribute it to the Protestant
Reformation in Western Europe. Science and technology are two different
things. They may or may not be related. All civilizations have technology,
but only the West developed science. Huge difference!

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old January 16th 06, 12:22 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

Edward Dolan wrote:
"The Wogster" wrote in message

Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]

The Ancients were human beings of course, but sufficiently different from
us in their thinking that we need not concern ourselves with them. Even
the Greeks and the Romans were not much better.The only kind of
civilization I care about began with the West at about the time of the
Renaissance in Italy.

However if it had not been for the rise and fall of the Italian (Roman)
Empire, then the Italian Renaissance, might have never happened.

There was nothing Italian about Ancient Rome. However, there was everything
Italian about Renaissance Italy. I do not like to see Rome given too much
credit for the rise of Europe.
[...]

You sure about that, Rome is in Italy after all, Roman government might
have fallen, but there are modern Italians in Rome, who have Roman
roots.... However Romans after the fall had to reinvent themselves and
Italy is the result.

Did you know that Aristotle thought women had fewer teeth in their mouth
than men. It apparently never occurred to him to look inside a woman's
mouth and count the teeth. What do you make of that? So much for logic!

That's not logic, perhaps the women he did look at, had lost a few teeth
by that time, so he figured they had less, perhaps with a larger sample
size, the possible truth of his idea would have disappeared.....

Yes, you are thinking like a man of the West, but Aristotle was thinking
like a Greek. Huge difference!

Make that ancient Greek, modern Greeks are quite different, I know a few
of them.....

The High Middle Ages were quite innovative in very many technical ways,
but still they lacked scientific thinking. Technology is not science and
is always severely limited in what it can know.

Science and Technology are close relatives. Science is the knowledge,
technology is the implementation of that knowledge. No technology now in
existance, would exist without some scientific discovery.

Very sophisticated technology can exist without any foundation in science
whatsoever. The High Middle Ages proved that.

Either your definition of technology or your definition of science is
flawed...

Here is an example, the science: If you take methane gas, and apply heat
you get a chemical reaction (fire). This lead to the technology behind
the natural gas furnace. One that I am happy about this morning, in that
the temperature outside is -12C, so I don't have to go out and chop wood
this morning.

The rise of science only occurred in the West. It is why Western
Civilization is now dominant in the world. Why it occurred in the West and
nowhere else is very mysterious, but I attribute it to the Protestant
Reformation in Western Europe. Science and technology are two different
things. They may or may not be related. All civilizations have technology,
but only the West developed science. Huge difference!

Gee, now your thinking like a modern American, where only science that
is discoved, and technology developed in the USA count.

Old January 16th 06, 12:27 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

Edward Dolan wrote:

But we will never know what you said in the first place because you have
edited it out of all your posts.

Not my fault if you don't know whether you're coming or going.

You insult the reader when you do this.

You can print it out and call it macroni and cheese for all anyone
cares -- your taste buds, your brain.

After all, we are not just writing to one another. This is a newsgroup, not
email.

Last I heard, you had been roundly rejected as newsgroup moderator, so
forgive me if I look askance at this pretense to public service.

I doubt it, but there is some mystery here apparently.
[...]

Anyone that obssessed with "World Jewry" has got to be a closet Jew.

Kinda like how if we scratch you past the surface, we'll find a
slobbering liberal wannabe who got rejected by a half-joo negress back
in high school.

I will no longer respond to one-liners except for those very few which will
give me an opportunity to wax eloquent on subjects of my own choosing.

LOL -- try talking about recumbent bicycles, then!

After all, I have readers I must consider even if you don't. One-liners are
for idiots, not for Great Ones like myself.

At what weight did you decide to style yourself a great one?

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

So you wear a Viking helmet when you ride?

Old January 16th 06, 01:45 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

"NYC XYZ" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]
Kinda like how if we scratch you past the surface, we'll find a
slobbering liberal wannabe who got rejected by a half-joo negress back
in high school.

Does this not tell us all we will ever have to know about this cretin from
NYC. He is into ****ing Blacks. Of course they are all Black prostitutes as
no self-respecting Black would have anything to do with a Jew ******* like
him.

Old January 16th 06, 02:02 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

"The Wogster" wrote in message
news
Edward Dolan wrote:
"The Wogster" wrote in message

Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]

[...]

No, Italy was invaded by various tribes after the fall of the Empire and
there was nothing Roman about them at all.

Did you know that Aristotle thought women had fewer teeth in their mouth
than men. It apparently never occurred to him to look inside a woman's
mouth and count the teeth. What do you make of that? So much for logic!

That's not logic, perhaps the women he did look at, had lost a few teeth
by that time, so he figured they had less, perhaps with a larger sample
size, the possible truth of his idea would have disappeared.....

Yes, you are thinking like a man of the West, but Aristotle was thinking
like a Greek. Huge difference!

Make that ancient Greek, modern Greeks are quite different, I know a few
of them.....

Yes, modern Greeks and Romans are as Western as you and I are. When I
reference Roman and Greek in a historical discussion like this, I am of
course referring to the ancient civilizations.

The High Middle Ages were quite innovative in very many technical ways,
but still they lacked scientific thinking. Technology is not science and
is always severely limited in what it can know.

Science and Technology are close relatives. Science is the knowledge,
technology is the implementation of that knowledge. No technology now in
existance, would exist without some scientific discovery.

Very sophisticated technology can exist without any foundation in science
whatsoever. The High Middle Ages proved that.

Either your definition of technology or your definition of science is
flawed...

Yes, I am assuming a universe of understanding which you do not have. We
would have to began with a History of Western Civilization 101 to be
followed by a History of Science 101. It is way too much work at our ages.
You either get it in your youth or you miss out on it forever.

Here is an example, the science: If you take methane gas, and apply heat
you get a chemical reaction (fire). This lead to the technology behind
the natural gas furnace. One that I am happy about this morning, in that
the temperature outside is -12C, so I don't have to go out and chop wood
this morning.

The rise of science only occurred in the West. It is why Western
Civilization is now dominant in the world. Why it occurred in the West
and nowhere else is very mysterious, but I attribute it to the Protestant
Reformation in Western Europe. Science and technology are two different
things. They may or may not be related. All civilizations have
technology, but only the West developed science. Huge difference!

Gee, now your thinking like a modern American, where only science that is
discoved, and technology developed in the USA count.

By the West, I mean Western Civilization or Christendom. If you had had a
college liberal arts education it would not be necessary for me to recover
these terms for you.

By the way science was not discovered, it was invented.

Old January 16th 06, 03:13 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

Edward Dolan wrote:

Does this not tell us all we will ever have to know about this cretin from
NYC. He is into ****ing Blacks.

LMAO! -- from the guy who's idea of pussy is "meow meow meow."

Of course they are all Black prostitutes as
no self-respecting Black would have anything to do with a Jew ******* like
him.

Jews are the most accomplished group next to the Chinee, who're next to
take over.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Now don't you go mouthing off to the Hmong 'bent riders up there!

Old January 16th 06, 04:46 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

"NYC XYZ" wrote in message
ups.com...

Edward Dolan wrote:

Does this not tell us all we will ever have to know about this cretin
from
NYC. He is into ****ing Blacks.

LMAO! -- from the guy who's idea of pussy is "meow meow meow."

Of course they are all Black prostitutes as
no self-respecting Black would have anything to do with a Jew *******
like
him.

Jews are the most accomplished group next to the Chinee, who're next to
take over.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Now don't you go mouthing off to the Hmong 'bent riders up there!

fdhkldahauietrisadhkvcdsahfldsjfkl
ksadfkaherhewdadkafkdsahfkdsah
dsafdsfhkdshfkdshfkdsahfkhdsasf
fdhdsafhdsafhkdshfksahdfkdshdf

No Helmets Needed? NYC XYZ General 206 January 16th 06 02:08 PM
Bicycle helmets help prevent serious head injury among children, part one. John Doe UK 3 November 30th 04 04:46 PM
Does public health care pay for your head injuries? John Doe UK 187 November 30th 04 03:51 PM
Convincing people to use helmets Oliver Keating UK 391 February 25th 04 12:50 PM
Compulsory helmets again! Richard Burton UK 526 December 29th 03 09:19 PM