Any of You Do Trikes -- in A Metro Area, Too??

Old February 21st 06, 02:57 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Default Any of You Do Trikes -- in A Metro Area, Too??

Dave Larrington wrote:
In article .com,
Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman ) wrote:

Keep in mind that the aforementioned forum is moderated (i.e.
censored).

Only to keep the monkeys out.

Without the knowledge of all the actions of the BROL moderators, this
statement can not be proven.

Although often obnoxious, the "Monkeys" are sometimes the only ones
who say what needs to be said. The court jester's function was more
than mere entertainment.

--
Tom Sherman - Post Free or Die!

Old February 21st 06, 10:47 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Dave Larrington wrote:

Keep in mind that the aforementioned forum is moderated (i.e.
censored).

Only to keep the monkeys out.

Although often obnoxious, the "Monkeys" are sometimes the only ones
who say what needs to be said. The court jester's function was more
than mere entertainment.

Spoken like a true monkey.

Hehe...I have to agree with Tom on this one. The British Parliament is
certainly a lot more interesting to watch than our Congress!

Oddly enough, my tolerance only applies to usenet and other such fora
for debates and/or informational exchange. I don't like even seeing
ghetto types in my neighborhood...what's with these fools wearing
earrings and Aunt Jemima do-rags? Worst of all is seeing all the
middle-aged "cool daddies"...especially if they're white!

Unfortunately we can't killfile -- or just plain kill -- these eyesores
and eyebores, and in NYC, they're really everywhere. I guess I myself
don't mind crap on usenet since I can choose to ignore them, whereas
crap on TV or out there in the world, in real life, you have to deal
with and so are very frustrating.

Which is another reason I love biking -- nothing like being stuck on a
bus or train with ghetto monkeys. Usenet monkeys are at least fun at
times. Ooo ooo aah ahh!

Old February 21st 06, 12:07 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Dave Larrington wrote:

Keep in mind that the aforementioned forum is moderated (i.e.
censored).

Only to keep the monkeys out.

Although often obnoxious, the "Monkeys" are sometimes the only ones
who say what needs to be said. The court jester's function was more
than mere entertainment.

Spoken like a true monkey.

Well, I do live in Chicagoland and I have a couple of lowracers...

--
J. Sunset

Old February 21st 06, 02:09 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Default bentirderonline [was: Any of You Do Trikes]

"Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman" wrote
Jon Meinecke wrote:

People often mistake USENET newsgroups as sources
for information. Trust the "information" here, at your peril,
indeed!

It is possible for an intelligent and informed person to sort the wheat
from the chaff, and with some research the general credibility of any
regular Usenet poster can be determined with a suitable level of
accuracy.

USENET newsgroups are communities. They vary widely in content
and reliability and inherently dubious as reliable information sources.
An expectation that ARBR or any newsgroup represents all views or a
meritocracy of free ideas is not realistic. Most everyone here
"self censors", and participation is clearly self selected. Some
choose to post not at all, anymore or ever,-- not because their
opinions are uninformed or credibility questionable.

On a moderated/censored forum, a non-moderator does not know what
has been suppressed, and furthermore, no one knows what has been
self-censored out of the fear of being banned from the forum.

Once again, the quality and integrity of the moderation is key,--
the general credibility, as you say. If one understands the rules
and trusts their implementation, then the content of moderated
forums (which includes most every medium) can be calibrated.

A properly designed kitchen, used cooperatively, can accommodate
collaboration of quite a few chefs without overheating.

Usenet is exactly that, for the intelligent reader with proper
analytical skills.

USENET, indeed, like the kitchen is what you/we make it and
make in it. There are moderated and self-moderate USENET
groups. There are groups where flames, vulgar, obscene and
abusive trolling is the norm. There are many groups in the
middle.

To presume that people who choose to participate in other forums
rather than USENET and ARBR, do so mainly for heat avoidance,
ignores other and more credible, intelligent reasons. Be careful
of the fallacy of circumstantial ad hominem.

Jon Meinecke

Old February 21st 06, 05:31 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

NYC XYZ wrote:
Peter Clinch wrote:

Maybe I'm reading that a different way than you intended... I saw it as
"appeal more to women than men", where maybe you meant "trikes appeal to
women more than bikes".

Yes.

My sample base of lady 'benters is far too
small

It's okay; you can whisper -- I won't tell!

You need to get out to the left coast. After looking at the panorama
taken at the Recumbent Retreat: http://www.recumbentretreat.org/ , I'd
guess that the ridership is about 30% female.

Jeff

Old February 21st 06, 11:23 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

"Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]
It is possible for an intelligent and informed person to sort the wheat
from the chaff, and with some research the general credibility of any
regular Usenet poster can be determined with a suitable level of
accuracy.

You bet! I determined early on that Mr. Sherman was OK on recumbent topics
and a total idiot on most every other subject under the sun. Same goes for
Mr. Meinecke. Once you have got this sorted out, you can indeed separate the
wheat from the chaff.

On a moderated/censored forum, a non-moderator does not know what has
been suppressed, and furthermore, no one knows what has been
self-censored out of the fear of being banned from the forum.

The main thing a moderated forum will do is keep all the idiots, morons and
imbeciles away. I think 99% of mankind would prefer it that way. It is only
a few of us who want to play games on USENET.

I have said this before and I will now say it again. Anyone who comes to
USENET for any reason other than to be entertained and amused is a blooming
idiot. Mr. Sherman and Mr. Meinecke think they can provide instruction to
the rest of us dumbbells, but all they are doing is indulging their egos,
the same as I. But I am having more fun than they are. That, incidentally,
is why I am so Great and why they are such dwarfs!

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

PS. Can anyone tell me why USENET should be capitalized as Mr. Meinecke does
it?

Old February 21st 06, 11:57 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

.. .
Jon Meinecke wrote:

People often mistake USENET newsgroups as sources
for information. Trust the "information" here, at your peril,
indeed!

It is possible for an intelligent and informed person to sort the wheat
from the chaff, and with some research the general credibility of any
regular Usenet poster can be determined with a suitable level of
accuracy.

USENET newsgroups are communities. They vary widely in content
and reliability and inherently dubious as reliable information sources.
An expectation that ARBR or any newsgroup represents all views or a
meritocracy of free ideas is not realistic. Most everyone here
"self censors", and participation is clearly self selected. Some
choose to post not at all, anymore or ever,-- not because their
opinions are uninformed or credibility questionable.

I agree totally with Mr. Meinecke on the above statement. Ed Gin proved once
and for all that newsgroups without any exceptions are for idiots,
scoundrels and criminals. This was something that Mr. Meinecke could do
absolutely nothing about except commiserate on it. One wonders what Mr.
Meinecke is still doing here on ARBR other than honoring us with his august
presence. Not happy on BROL?

On a moderated/censored forum, a non-moderator does not know what
has been suppressed, and furthermore, no one knows what has been
self-censored out of the fear of being banned from the forum.

Once again, the quality and integrity of the moderation is key,--
the general credibility, as you say. If one understands the rules
and trusts their implementation, then the content of moderated
forums (which includes most every medium) can be calibrated.

I would not be caught dead on BROL because Mr. Ball, who owns the forum, is
a liberal nut and thinks that conservatives should not be posting to cycling
groups. But hey, if you are a liberal nut you will be welcome there.
Apparently words like quality and integrity can mean anything you want them
to mean. Mr. Ball has absolutely no credibility with me. I have calibrated
him right out of existence.

A properly designed kitchen, used cooperatively, can accommodate
collaboration of quite a few chefs without overheating.

Usenet is exactly that, for the intelligent reader with proper
analytical skills.

USENET, indeed, like the kitchen is what you/we make it and
make in it. There are moderated and self-moderate USENET
groups. There are groups where flames, vulgar, obscene and
abusive trolling is the norm. There are many groups in the
middle.

Where the hell was Mr. Meinecke when this group was being destroyed by Ed
Gin. He was hiding under the bed. I frankly do not want to hear what this
coward has to say about anything. He is lower than a skunk and is a weasel
besides. Why the hell doesn't he go to BROL and stay there with all the
other liberal scum bags. Old Cletus Lee of Texas will welcome him to the
club.

To presume that people who choose to participate in other forums
rather than USENET and ARBR, do so mainly for heat avoidance,
ignores other and more credible, intelligent reasons. Be careful
of the fallacy of circumstantial ad hominem.

All Mr. Meinecke ever knows what to do when he encounters anyone with whom
he disagrees is to kill file the poor slob. I myself have never recovered
from this affront to my honor and dignity. I propose pistols at dawn down by
the riverside. Mr. Sherman can be your second and I will dragoon some
drunken yahoo from the local bar to be my second. Mr. Meineke will have to
come to SW Minnesota as I am no longer up for any travel.

Old February 22nd 06, 06:11 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc

"NYC XYZ" wrote in message
ups.com...

GaryG wrote:

Are those "girls" about 5 years old? Or, are they closer to 85? Those

seem
to be the typical ages for females interested in tricycles.

GG

That too!

But why did you say "hell no" so vociferously for?

Because I hope to never ride a tricycle.

Why would I want to ride something that's heavy and slow, when a 2-wheeled
bike is so much faster, and more fun?

GG

Old February 22nd 06, 07:05 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc

GaryG wrote:

Because I hope to never ride a tricycle.

Why would I want to ride something that's heavy and slow, when a 2-wheeled
bike is so much faster, and more fun?

I think most of those who've ridden both would say the trike is more fun.

Rich

Old February 22nd 06, 01:22 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc

In article , GaryG
) wrote:
"NYC XYZ" wrote in message
ups.com...

GaryG wrote:

Are those "girls" about 5 years old? Or, are they closer to 85? Those

seem
to be the typical ages for females interested in tricycles.

GG

That too!

But why did you say "hell no" so vociferously for?

Because I hope to never ride a tricycle.

Why would I want to ride something that's heavy and slow, when a 2-wheeled
bike is so much faster, and more fun?

Just wait until you come round a downhill corner at 70 km/h and find the
road ahead covered in Skog(tm). That extra wheel suddenly becomes
/very/ attractive.

Electricity comes from other planets.

recumbent trikes in Vancouver, Canada area bla Recumbent Biking 5 April 17th 05 06:48 AM
San Diego area commuting questions Noel Llopis General 2 May 12th 04 03:47 AM
Tandem Trikes? brian hughes General 8 July 18th 03 04:22 AM
Tandem Trikes? Brent Hugh Social Issues 2 July 18th 03 04:22 AM
Tandem Trikes? Brent Hugh Recumbent Biking 4 July 18th 03 04:22 AM