WTB: axle for maillard 700 hub

Old September 15th 06, 08:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default WTB: axle for maillard 700 hub

My vintage bike has a maillard 700 hub on the rear wheel.

The hub has plenty of years left in it, but sadly the axle has
developed a serious kink and needs replacing. Any tips as to what axle
will fit it? Or any axles (or hubs-and-axles) for sale at all?

Thanks

Old September 16th 06, 02:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David L. Johnson

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 12:39:59 -0700, miles wrote:

My vintage bike has a maillard 700 hub on the rear wheel.

The hub has plenty of years left in it, but sadly the axle has
developed a serious kink and needs replacing. Any tips as to what axle
will fit it? Or any axles (or hubs-and-axles) for sale at all?

My experience is that, even if a replacement axle won't accept the sones
you have, if you can find any axle which has cones on it already, it will
work. Now, this may not apply to stuff from the 1940s, but it should
apply to your Mailliard. Finding an axle for this (aren't all French
parts from that era nonstandard??) will be hard, but using a Campy one
will probably work, and is certainly worth a try.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Deserves death! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve
_`\(,_ | death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to
(_)/ (_) | them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.
-- J. R. R. Tolkein
Old September 16th 06, 09:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David L. Johnson

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 09:26:11 -0700, philcycles wrote:

Sorry to disapoint all-including Mr. Johnson-but for some reason
Maillard 700 rear hubs take standard 10x1 axles. How very un-French of
them. I know I was floored when I widened my 700s to 130 and discovered
this.

No real disappointment, but I am "shocked, shocked" that Maillard could
get away with that. It does make the OP's original problem easier.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President
_`\(,_ | should on no account be allowed to do the job. -- Douglas Adams
(_)/ (_) |
Old September 17th 06, 02:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 19:41:21 -0600, wrote:

On 16 Sep 2006 18:19:01 -0700,
wrote:

philcycles wrote:
wrote:
My vintage bike has a maillard 700 hub on the rear wheel.

The hub has plenty of years left in it, but sadly the axle has
developed a serious kink and needs replacing. Any tips as to what axle
will fit it? Or any axles (or hubs-and-axles) for sale at all?

Thanks

Sorry to disapoint all-including Mr. Johnson-but for some reason
Maillard 700 rear hubs take standard 10x1 axles. How very un-French of
them. I know I was floored when I widened my 700s to 130 and discovered
this.
Phil Brown

Which one had the very fine thread?

Dear AF,

The axles may have been "standard"--Sheldon's page about the odd sizes
on French bikes is silent about any axle weirdness:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/velos.html

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Ah, how nice to have Sheldon's site back for browsing such matters.

Here's his axle table:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/hub-parts.html#axles

Axle threads seem to be either 26 tpi or 1 mm, with a single oddball
24 tpi at the bottom of the list.

Axle thicknesses are 9 or 10 mm, plus a few in between at 9.5 mm/
3/8".

The real variation is axle length--110, 137, 141, 146, 147, 158, 155,
174, 180, and 187 mm versions are listed for spacings of 100, 126,
130, 135, 145 mm, and behemoth.

CF

Old September 19th 06, 07:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Donald Gillies

"philcycles" writes:
wrote:
My vintage bike has a maillard 700 hub on the rear wheel.

The hub has plenty of years left in it, but sadly the axle has
developed a serious kink and needs replacing. Any tips as to what axle
will fit it? Or any axles (or hubs-and-axles) for sale at all?

Thanks

Low quality asian m10 axle SETs available for about $5 from www.biketoolsetc.com.
High quality axles available from wheels manufacturing for about $11-$14 at LBS.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA
Old September 19th 06, 08:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 19 Sep 2006 11:27:19 -0700, (Donald Gillies)
wrote:

"philcycles" writes:
wrote:
My vintage bike has a maillard 700 hub on the rear wheel.

The hub has plenty of years left in it, but sadly the axle has
developed a serious kink and needs replacing. Any tips as to what axle
will fit it? Or any axles (or hubs-and-axles) for sale at all?

Thanks

Low quality asian m10 axle SETs available for about $5 from
www.biketoolsetc.com.
High quality axles available from wheels manufacturing for about $11-$14 at LBS.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

Dear Don,

Out of curiosity, what qualities are low in the Asian axle sets and
high in the wheels manufacturing axles?

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old September 19th 06, 09:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 13:41:54 -0600, wrote:

On 19 Sep 2006 11:27:19 -0700,
(Donald Gillies)
wrote:

"philcycles" writes:
wrote:
My vintage bike has a maillard 700 hub on the rear wheel.

The hub has plenty of years left in it, but sadly the axle has
developed a serious kink and needs replacing. Any tips as to what axle
will fit it? Or any axles (or hubs-and-axles) for sale at all?

Thanks

Low quality asian m10 axle SETs available for about $5 from
www.biketoolsetc.com.
High quality axles available from wheels manufacturing for about $11-$14 at LBS.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

Dear Don,

Out of curiosity, what qualities are low in the Asian axle sets and
high in the wheels manufacturing axles?

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Aha!

A quick browse at axles at BikeToolsEtc:

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg...-Axle&tc=Axles
or http://tinyurl.com/s8b53

Er, I mean a slow browse--the site suddenly turned into molasses and
then developed hiccups. Possibly they were doing site maintenance.

Anyway, they sell generic solid axles for $1.95:

"Good quality solid axle for repairs."

They sell solid axles from Shimano for $7.95:

"Genuine Shimano."

They sell solid axles from Wheels Manufacturing for $11.95:

"Wheels Mfg axles are made from 4130 chromoly steel that is heat
treated to increase strength without brittleness. Threads are rolled
(not cut) for added strength and ease of assembly. Made in USA."

No word on whether the generic and Shimano axles feature rolled or cut
threads or are made of tempered 4130 Chromoly steel.

BikeToolsEtc also sells hollow axles:

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg...llow-Axle-Sets
or http://tinyurl.com/m5vtx

The generic hollow axles sell for $4.50, with cones.

The Weldtite hollow axles with cones sell for $8.90.

Neither the generic nor the Weldtite hollow axles boast about any
special qualities.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel