What's up with Bigha?

Old August 11th 03, 12:23 AM
Lorenzo L. Love

Default What's up with Bigha?

But you obviously don't like it enough to actually pay for it. I would
like a Rolex watch too, but not enough to actually pay for one. They
aren't worth it.

Are there any experienced recument riders that are paying $3000.00 for a
Bigha? The way the bike is being marketed is to avoid experienced riders
and target people new to recumbents, maybe new to biking all together,
who don't know any better then to pay this kind of price for a low
performance bike, no matter how nice the finish.

When someone pays full price and says it's well worth it, that will be a
review that I can believe. Otherwise, getting a free bike by giving it a
good review is pretty meaningless.

Lorenzo L. Love
http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

'BentRider wrote:
That's exactly what I said.

I said that the final decision is a very personal one. The quality of
the bike is easily worth the $3000 when compared to other recumbents.
As you said... whether it's worth it to YOU is your decision. The
bike isn't fast and never will be. Most of the other bikes in this
price range are performance bikes. There's never really been a bike
like this in this price range before. Hard to tell if anyone will buy
them or not.

As to whether I'll BUY it or not... That's not the way it works. I
don't usually pay for bikes in the conventional sense. I usually get
them through ad trades or something like that. Occasionally I do buy
bikes for personal use but usually not at retail. This shouldn't be a
shock to anyone.

The more appropriate question is if I'll keep it when I'm done. The
answer to that is not yet decided but I might keep one of them around.
I do like the bike quite a bit.

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 17:52:44 GMT, "Lorenzo L. Love"
wrote:

Are you going to fork out $3000.00 for a Bigha? If not, it is not worth
the price to you. I have heard a lot of glowing reviews of Bigha from
people who didn't have to pay for them, but not a single person who said
they would pay $3000.00 to keep the bike. If you are not willing to pay
for it, you obviously think it isn't worth it's cost. Can't you just say so?

Lorenzo L. Love
http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

'BentRider wrote:

That's not how it usually works for me. I rarely keep any test bikes
for more than a few months.

If you're asking if I think the bike is WORTH $3000, the jury is still
out. It probably is. There are certainly a lot of recumbents out
there that cost a lot more and aren't nearly as well made or as well
designed.

However, do we need a super high-end CLWB? Is this bike really even a
CLWB? Does it matter that it weighs so much? All questions that I
haven't answered yet and ones that most buyers will have to answer
individually.

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 19:22:09 GMT, "Lorenzo L. Love"
wrote:

Will you pay $3000.00 to keep one of them?

'BentRider wrote:

I've got two of them here for testing right now. Initial impression
is that they are heavy but very well made and the electronics are more
fun than I thought they'd be. The performance isn't record-breaking
but it's tolerable. Very easy to ride. The seat is different. Not
the most comfortable by any means but okay...

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 19:44:35 -0400, "Felix Audet"
wrote:

Anyone here own one?
How well their sales are going?
Anyone can feed any kind of informations..?

Bryan J. Ball
Editor/Publisher
www.bentrideronline.com

Bryan J. Ball
Editor/Publisher
www.bentrideronline.com

Bryan J. Ball
Editor/Publisher
www.bentrideronline.com

Old August 11th 03, 01:06 AM
skip

"Edward Wong" wrote in message
om...

Interesting statement as in "I doubt it?". If you look around it
won't be hard to agree with Bryan. Angletech Cycles sell bikes that
are typically in the $4000 to $6500 range and while they are probably
very nice, they may not compare in quality, fit, finish, design, etc.
with the BiGHa. A Mountain Drive equipted Kett Weisel routinely sells
for well over $3,000. You already mentioned the R-84 and the list
goes on so I do not in fact find Bryan's statement "interesting". I
do find it realistic to say the least.

Edward Wong
Orlando, FL

P.S. I do want to clarify that my statements are in no way a slam
against Angletech Cycles, Hase or Lightning. They are all fine
companies and was merely trying to compare dollar for value of one
bike against another.

OK OK Bigha may have the market cornered on what Bentrider describes as a
heavy but well made $3000.00 CLWB bike offering tolerable performance, okay
comfort, and fun electronics. Slow enough perhaps to allow time to play
with the electronics as you plod along.

I'll take Ed Wong's suggestion under advisement that Bighas may offer better
quality and better design than Angletech's bikes or Kett Weisels, whatever
they are (for all I know that could mean "baby weasels" in German).

For me, I'll take a Tailwind thank you.
Good night Bob Cardone where ever you are.

skip

skip

Old August 11th 03, 01:09 AM
MLB

better quality and better design than Angletech's bikes or Kett
Weisels, whatever they are (for all I know that could mean "baby
weasels" in German).

For me, I'll take a Tailwind thank you.
Good night Bob Cardone where ever you are.

skip

skip

Actually it means "chain weasel".
Old August 11th 03, 02:57 AM
Larry Varney

Lorenzo L. Love wrote:
But you obviously don't like it enough to actually pay for it. I would
like a Rolex watch too, but not enough to actually pay for one. They
aren't worth it.

Are there any experienced recument riders that are paying $3000.00 for a
Bigha? The way the bike is being marketed is to avoid experienced riders
and target people new to recumbents, maybe new to biking all together,
who don't know any better then to pay this kind of price for a low
performance bike, no matter how nice the finish.

When someone pays full price and says it's well worth it, that will be a
review that I can believe. Otherwise, getting a free bike by giving it a
good review is pretty meaningless.

Lorenzo L. Love
http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

Bikes are not given to magazines in exchange for good reviews. At
least, I am not aware of such arrangements between any of the bike
companies and the magazines. Can you provide us with detailed
information to the contrary?
Bikes are loaned to magazines for review purposes. The reviews are
written after the bike is tested, not before. Again, if you can provide
information to the contrary, I'm sure we'd all be glad to see it.
But I can see your point: if a manufacturer were to give a bike to a
reviewer, I would be suspicious of a good review. But in this case,
since not only has the review not been written, and the bike was not
given to the reviewer, then your last statement is meaningless or at
least is not applicable in this instance.
--
Larry Varney
Cold Spring, KY

Old August 11th 03, 03:18 AM
Felix Audet

I'm wondering what percentage of bikes are sold on the internet..
Seems to me that the internet crowd of recumbent cyclists are more attracted
by
performance recumbents than the overall population of bent cyclists. I think
that selling only on the internet
is possible, but one would have more success with performance oriented
products than entry-level-bikeE type
of bents. One big issue remains, is how would a customer be convinced of
buying a product without actually trying it.
And I'm wondering how Bigha is dealing with this situation.
I think they are travelling troughout the country, with promotion team and
are offering test rides.
However, I doubt that it is sufficient to attract potential customers.

In other words, to buy on the internet without a test ride, you have to know
exactly what you want and what you're buying,
and have general knowledge of bents.
All above is only IMHO, And I'd be more than happy to have yours too!

Felix Audet

Old August 11th 03, 03:44 AM
Dean Arthur

How about Mother's Cut-Rate Recumbent [trike] at...

http://www.motherearthnews.com/menar...&ID=2613&Num=4

For the DIY type who can work with various metals. The original design
utilized EMT but is probably too flimsy for my 230 lb. bod. I'd have to
go with exhaust pipe despite the weight penalty.

Old August 11th 03, 04:00 AM
Dave Clary

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 22:18:13 -0400, "Felix Audet"
wrote:

I'm wondering what percentage of bikes are sold on the internet..
Seems to me that the internet crowd of recumbent cyclists are more attracted
by
performance recumbents than the overall population of bent cyclists. I think
that selling only on the internet
is possible, but one would have more success with performance oriented
products than entry-level-bikeE type
of bents. One big issue remains, is how would a customer be convinced of
buying a product without actually trying it.

I wasn't that long ago that you couldn't "try before your buy" unless
you lived near a small, select number of cities (at least in the U.S.)
or were willing to travel. I don't know what the count is on the
number of shops selling recumbents these days but I bet it's still
hard to find one in many parts of the U.S.

I described my P-38 purchase as a "leap of faith!"

Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx
EZ-1SC Pilot (Texas P-38 Squadron Retired)
Home: http://home.stx.rr.com/dclary
P-38 Stuff: http://www.geocities.com/texasp38/texasp38.html
Never Forget: http://www.politicsandprotest.org

Old August 11th 03, 04:38 AM
skip

"Lorenzo L. Love" wrote in message

snip

When someone pays full price and says it's well worth it, that will be a
review that I can believe. Otherwise, getting a free bike by giving it a
good review is pretty meaningless.

I've found if someone has just paid full price for an item they they will
always say it was well worth it - otherwise they would appear to be foolish.
Maybe the true test is to see if they the bike up for sale three months
later with 200 miles on it. That's a review of sorts. Or ask them a year
later what they think.

Generally I think I have a pretty good take on whether a review is a ringer
or not. For example, I would not bother to read one of Martin (cant think
of his last name) reviews because they seem to be nothing more than shuck
and jive for his latest sponsor neatly interwoven into some cross country
ride infomercial. I think I can tell when a reviewer really likes a bike,
doesn't like one, or is just puffing. I trust the reviews on Bentrider on
Line and Recumbent Cyclist News to reflect the true opinions of their
reveiwers. I know Bob Bryant has written on this subject on several
occasions and has been very forthright in presenting his thoughts on the
matter.

skip

Old August 11th 03, 06:14 AM
Lorenzo L. Love

skip wrote:
[...]

Oh, I believe him, especially when he says he's not going to pay
$3000.00 for a Bigha. Who with any real experience with recumbent bikes
would? If you want a comfort bike, there are much cheaper ones. If you
want a performance bike, you can get far better for the cost. The Bigha
is designed for people who don't know anything about recumbents. That's
how it's being marketed, to the non-bicyclist.

Old August 11th 03, 05:00 PM
'BentRider

Oh, I believe him, especially when he says he's not going to pay
$3000.00 for a Bigha. Who with any real experience with recumbent bikes
would? If you want a comfort bike, there are much cheaper ones. If you
want a performance bike, you can get far better for the cost. The Bigha
is designed for people who don't know anything about recumbents. That's
how it's being marketed, to the non-bicyclist.

This is interesting... I've never had to defend a review BEFORE I
wrote it.

Responding to one of your earlier posts... I've NEVER gotten a "free"
bike. Getting a bike for an ad trade is not getting a free bike.
That takes up space that I could use for someone else's ad that might
be paying cash. I rarely keep ad trade bikes. 'BentRider is a
business where I try to make a living. Not just a clever source to
get free bikes. Where the bike came from or what I'm doing with it
when I'm done has never influenced a review. I let my past reviews
speak for themselves.

As for if I personally would buy a BiGHA for the retail price... I'm
not looking to buy any CLWB at the moment so I probably would have
never ridden one or looked at it intensely in the first place if
didn't own 'BentRider. So no, I wouldn't have. However, now that
it's here I do like it enough to consider keeping it around for awhile
and not turning it into cash. Do I think that the bike is worth the
money for the right people? I've only been on it a week so the jury
is still out, but right now I'd say yes. If you're not satysfied with
that answer, I can't help you.

A more interesting direction for this topic is this question... Does
a $3000 recumbent HAVE to be fast? A lot of riders don't care a lick
about speed. Is BiGHA doing something wrong by targeting
non-cyclists? Is there any reason to think that non-cyclists BiGHA
buyers will be disappointed with their purchases? I'm not expressing
an opinion, just soliciting those of you on the newsgroup.