Orbea Bottom Bracket shell woes

Old February 11th 07, 08:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul Hobson

Default Orbea Bottom Bracket shell woes

Hey y'all.

Here's the short version.

-Get hit by a bar, wreck the frame.
-Find seemingly awesome deal on an old Orbea with an "English BB shell"
-Order a BB at the LBS, it arrives...
-LBS: "Whoops, frame's Italian threaded," so I get an Italian BB
-LBS: "That didn't work either b/c the shell's threads are toast"
-At home, the old fixed/LH side cup threads in well (right/tight)
-Also, the same fixed cup also threads in well on the RH/drive side
-New Shimano 105 English BB threads in well on RH/drive side

ok. So both sides are RH threaded, 1.37" x 24 tpi? I don't see that he
http://sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html#threading

Is it possible that it's French threaded and the Shimano went in there
b/c the threads are indeed toast?

I'm at a loss here.

Thanks in advance,
--
\\paul
(replace all caps with numerals)
Old February 11th 07, 10:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Axeman

I have built up two new Orbea frames and both were English thread, and I
believe they have been using English thread for some years now. Depending on
how old your Orbea is it may well be a French thread. France is just up the
road from the Orbea factory (relatively speaking), and is one of their
biggest markets, so they may have used French thread to make the frogs
happy. This is just a theory though, I may be completely wrong.

Old February 12th 07, 08:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Feb 11, 9:32 pm, Paul Hobson wrote:
[...]

Sounds like it was English, and somebody chased the drive side with
the wrong (left side, rh thread) cutter.

I'd try cutting it with the correct cutter and using a bb/crank like
Shimano Ultegra external bearing type so the crank helps hold it
together. If the threads are really hosed, maybe try converting them
to ITA.

Good luck!

Joseph

Old February 12th 07, 01:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Feb 11, 1:32 pm, Paul Hobson wrote:
[...]

NOT french threaded. I'm guessing, in this soft, aluminum frame,
somebody rammed a right threaded but wrong side BB tap into the shell
and then finished the 'mistake' making them clean. It isn't Italian, a
english cup would just slide in as the ID s bigger with Italian.

Old February 12th 07, 02:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
D'ohBoy

On Feb 11, 2:32 pm, Paul Hobson wrote:
[...]

Common suggestion round these parts is to resize/rethread the bb shell
to Italian threading. Other suggestions have been to fill the threads
with brass and re-tap.

I like the first suggestion, although then you are dealing with the
inferior Italian threading and it's greater tendency to loosen.

D'ohBoy

Old February 12th 07, 02:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul Hobson

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
[...]

I don't know if this changes anything in your assessment, but the frame
is certainly steel. Maybe I'll call around to see if any one can ream
it out to an actual Italian threading (since I happen to have this DA bb
just sittin' around).

somebody rammed a right threaded but wrong side BB tap into the shell
and then finished the 'mistake' making them clean. It isn't Italian, a
english cup would just slide in as the ID s bigger with Italian.

Thanks for the knowledge.
\\paul
Old February 12th 07, 03:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Feb 12, 7:06 am, "D'ohBoy" wrote:
[...]

Tee, hee....nice try.

Old February 12th 07, 05:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul Hobson

On Feb 12, 3:59 am, "
wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the tip.

Here's the email Orbea just sent me (12 hr response time!)

/-----------QUOTE
|Hi Paul,
|
|If it's a road bike, then the bottom bracket should be 68mm in width,
which
|can be measured with a micrometer, and is English threaded.
|
|Feel the Ride!
|
|Orbea Tech
\-----------/QUOTE

So it looks like you're right :/

Old February 12th 07, 05:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul Hobson

On Feb 12, 8:49 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
wrote:
[...]

Here's my next question since Joseph seems to be right. Would you
recommend boring the BB shell out to Italian thread (hard to get a
bike shop to do that locally)? Or would it be better to just fill the
non-drive side with brass and face/tap that side, leaving the other
side to be faced/chased?

Old February 12th 07, 06:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

wrote:
[...]

you're not going to easily brass weld an aluminum bb shell. best bet is
to get the english thread back in there, preferably, as advised by
joseph, with a rigid cartridge like ultegra. if you go italian, inspect
the shell each ride - it will be slightly thinner - this will lead to a
greater propensity to cracking if it wasn't designed for it. not right
away, but in time.

good luck.