bicycle tech

Old January 4th 21, 04:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default bicycle tech

On 1/3/2021 8:29 PM, jbeattie wrote:

Shared facilities don't work, particularly when people on five foot wide trails want to run or walk five abreast with four dogs and a stroller.

Shared facilities (bikes + peds) can be a real mess. And a new one is
going in to connect our downtown with a local metropark, despite strong
complaints by cyclists during the public presentation of the concept.
Interestingly, while I attended the meeting, I barely had to say
anything. Other cyclists were sufficiently outraged by the folly of the
design. Not that city officials listened...

This facility is to be a bike-ped sidewalk path segregated on one side
of some streets that are already perfect for cycling, except for their
potholes. Lanes are wide enough to share, speed limits are low, traffic
count is low - but they want us to share the sidewalks with peds.

One of the drawings projected onscreen in the public presentation even
showed a mom holding a little kid's hand as they walked. The kids other
hand was stretched out to the side, and a bicyclist was drawn slightly
tilted, avoiding the kid's hand. Unbelievable! Yet they're proceeding
with construction.

Ohio has a law stating that cyclists can't be forced to use such crap.
But I predict motorist harassment of riders who choose the roadway instead.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 4th 21, 05:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 4 Jan 2021 08:04:08 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
wrote:

Going to Craogslist this morning there were some 3300 bikes
listed for sale with even junk going for several hundreds
of dollars. A half dozen recumbents. A dozen or so E-bikes
and three folding bikes in the less than $200 range. They
sure are getting popular aren't they? The folding bikes
are going for about the same price as a toddler balance bike.

460 bicycles for sale in the San Francisco Bay area:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/bia?sort=rel&query=bicycles
The 4 boxes across the top of the page should say:
[SF Bay Area] [SF Bay Area] [for sale] [bikes]
The "bikes" is the key. Without it, you get anything related to
bicycles such as lights, parts, tools, accessories, etc.

For folding bicycles in the SF Bay area, I find 13 listings:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/bia?query=bicycles&sort=rel&bicycle_type=5

You really should include links, references, sources, and details for
the numbers that you cite. Otherwise, I don't consider your numbers
to be trustworthy.

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272
Old January 4th 21, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 1/4/2021 9:02 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

snip

You really should include links, references, sources, and details for
the numbers that you cite. Otherwise, I don't consider your numbers
to be trustworthy.

LOL, why would he want to do anything to make himself appear trustworthy?!

The fact is that there are a lot of terrible folding bikes out there.
They're sold by camping stores, and various online retailers. You can
buy a new one for under $200, i.e.
https://www.campingworld.com/stowaway-12-speed-folding-bike-122529.html and
used ones sell for even less. These are the folding bicycle equivalent
of Walmart or Target bicycles.

The higher quality folders, from Bike Friday, Brompton, some Dahon
models, and Tern, go for much higher prices, even used.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/d/san-jose-rare-dahon-ford-folding-bike/7252761794.html
or
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/d/santa-clara-like-new-black-brompton-spd/7247603285.html

If you can find a Dahon or Bike Friday with the old SRAM Dual-Drive it's
even more expensive.
Old January 4th 21, 05:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 1/3/2021 5:35 PM, Radey Shouman wrote:

snip

Typically one might ride the first bus to within a few miles of work,
then get off, possibly walk to another stop, and wait for a transfer
bus. Every hop introduces schedule uncertainty and waste of time.
Avoiding short transfers by using a bicycle could make a lot of sense.

On the other hand, if even 10% of bus riders used bicycles rack space
would be almost impossible to get. The solution does not scale well
at all.

Clearly you haven't ridden in a bus in my county! Even pre-pandemic, the
number of passengers on buses was very low. It would be exceedingly rare
for there to be 20 passengers on a 50 passenger bus, and 10% with
bicycles could easily be accommodated.

But the big bicycle use on mass transit around here is on the trains.
Pre-pandemic, express trains with 72-80 bicycle spaces routinely denied
boarding to cyclists.

Old January 4th 21, 05:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

So you need to have a link to Craigslist Bay area do you?- You need a reference to "for sale/bicycles"? You have to be one pretty stupid ass to need your hand held. Either than or you're queer and like it held by another man.
Old January 4th 21, 05:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Monday, January 4, 2021 at 9:28:33 AM UTC-8, sms wrote:
[...]

Explain to us, you moron, the distance from bus stops to major tech centers in Silicon Valley. Also explain the speed limits on the roads. You have the IQ of a slug. California is set up to make huge amounts of money for the road construction crews and not the people trying to not be auto-poor. Be sure and tell us when you're running for office again, because I intend to turn your dumb-**** postings over to your opponent.
Old January 4th 21, 06:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Monday, January 4, 2021 at 9:16:49 AM UTC-8, sms wrote:
[...]

The larger foldables that have stupid prices like that on them simply don't sell. So stupid fools like you believes stories like "folding bikes are very common in my area" but somehow you don't have any good references.
Old January 4th 21, 06:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/4/2021 12:16 PM, sms wrote:

If you can find a Dahon or Bike Friday with the old SRAM Dual-Drive it's
even more expensive.

My impression is that Dual Drive hubs are not super reliable, and I
thought spare parts are getting scarce. But I admit I don't have first
hand experience with them.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 4th 21, 06:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/4/2021 12:28 PM, sms wrote:
On 1/3/2021 5:35 PM, Radey Shouman wrote:

snip

Typically one might ride the first bus to within a few miles of work,
then get off, possibly walk to another stop, and wait for a transfer
bus.Â* Every hop introduces schedule uncertainty and waste of time.
Avoiding short transfers by using a bicycle could make a lot of sense.

On the other hand, if even 10% of bus riders used bicycles rack space
would be almost impossible to get.Â* The solution does not scale well
at all.

Clearly you haven't ridden in a bus in my county! Even pre-pandemic, the
number of passengers on buses was very low. It would be exceedingly rare
for there to be 20 passengers on a 50 passenger bus, and 10% with
bicycles could easily be accommodated.

I agree on the unused capacity of large buses around here. I've wondered
why the transit agency doesn't buy smaller vehicles. Is it because the
cost isn't much less? Or is it endless hope that ridership might
suddenly jump?

https://www.theonion.com/report-98-p...ans-1819565837

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 4th 21, 06:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Also, your 460 bicycles for sale in the bay area sounded faulty so I just went back out and looked - as of now there is 3000 listed. I suppose 300 rolled off of the list this morning. So where did you get 460?

Economics not bicycle tech AMuzi Techniques 209 April 12th 20 03:37 AM
bicycle tech? AMuzi Techniques 2 July 22nd 15 04:04 AM
[Actual bicycle tech] BBB cassette NQR James[_8_] Techniques 6 October 31st 11 12:02 AM
Understanding rec.bicycle.tech ratings? Tom Nakashima Techniques 8 April 17th 07 07:57 PM
Bicycle bell - apolitical tech query [email protected] UK 13 November 16th 06 11:21 PM