Olmo

Old July 15th 17, 01:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Default Stability [ Olmo]

On Friday, July 14, 2017 at 5:35:15 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 14 Jul 2017 06:48:40 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 5:49:05 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 07:39:08 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 5:07:09 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 12 Jul 2017 07:45:10 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Tuesday, July 11, 2017 at 5:26:59 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 07:29:14 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Monday, July 10, 2017 at 5:53:39 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 07:17:51 -0700 (PDT),

On 2017-07-07 09:24,
wrote:
On Friday, July 7, 2017 at 9:10:54 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/7/2017 4:25 AM, John B. wrote:

I read an article about different handling between different
bikes. The author and his buddy, a frame maker, even cobbled up a
fork with adjustable trail.

Anyway, they found that the Italian frames tended toward lower
bottom bracket heights, in other words lower C/G, which they
attributed to a more stable feeling bike.

As I've said many times, I'm far from being a connoisseur of bike
handling. But it doesn't make sense to me that a lower center of
gravity would make a bike feel more stable.

First, the effect would seem to be minuscule if it existed. The
center of mass of a bike+rider is generally somewhere around the
saddle, i.e. maybe 40" high. I'd think lowering the center of mass
by half an inch would make a tiny difference compared to other
changes.

But more important: To me, stability in a bike means it requires
less frequent and energetic steering corrections to maintain
balance. And in that respect, an "ordinary" or "high wheeler" is
far, far more stable than a normal bike. Likewise, a recumbent is
far less stable. The first time I road an ordinary, I was able to
easily balance at 2 mph. The first time I rode a recumbent, I
couldn't even balance. Someone had to run alongside and hold me up
as I flopped left and right, until I could relax and let the bike
work properly.

The difference is polar moment of inertia about the axis along the
ground between the two tire contact patches. With the
"ordinary's" rider mass at about five feet or more, the sideways
rotation needed for a fall begins much more slowly. There's plenty
of time to correct even the tiniest deviation from vertical. By
contrast, with a recumbent's center of mass at maybe 18", the
sideways rotation initiates quickly.

The same effect can be observed by trying to balance a yardstick
(or meter stick) on its edge, vs. trying to balance a 6" (or 15 cm)
ruler. Or trying to vertically balance a shovel or hammer with
heavy side up vs. down.

So if a higher center of mass is more stable for ordinaries,
yardsticks and other objects, I don't see why it would be opposite
for bikes.

Well you're wrong. Firstly the saddle is also lower since the saddle
height is measured from the pedal center. And in many high speed
corners you put your weight on the outside pedal which is lower. Also
the arc through which it passes is lower. There is about an inch
difference in height and it is very noticeable believe me.

I'll second that. My MTB doesn't corner nearly as well as my much lower
CG road bike and the difference is not in the tires. I've tried with
another MTB that the owner had equipped with slick road tires (he
doesn't own a road bike), same thing.

With MTB cornering often happens in a very different way, keeping the
bike more straight up but leaning out and putting a leg out for
skidding. Like dirt bikers sometimes do.

While watching the Tour yesterday, one of the announcers was saying that one of the competitors had raced mountain bikes so that gave him an advantage in cornering road bikes. I told my wife that was a bunch of BS because cornering an MTB is totally different from cornering a road bike and sticking a knee out on a fast corner is more likely to get you in trouble than help. Most of the time the only way you can corner an MTB hard is by having a berm

Why is that? The larger tires or the suspension? Or the coarse tread
on the tires?

Apparently it gave him better knowledge of how to corner on hard surfaces. I just assigned it to the trash heap of things that announcers say to fill the silence.

I meant your comment that "Most of the time the only way you can
corner an MTB hard is by having a berm" and I wondered why.

I've ridden MTB's since the days of the fat tire bikes in Marin. I KNOW that you can't corner on most trails because they have loose surfaces.. Even hard surfaces are generally uneven.

So if you corner hard it's almost always against a berm. We did this in off-road motorcycles as well.

Ah, so it is the terrain not the actual bicycle that you were
referring to. I had thought that you meant a difference in cornering
ability of the bicycle itself.

MTB's do not corner. Despite the fat tires if you have any speed you have to corner either on hard rock with virtually no traction or loose dust with same.

When they show these marvelous scenes of hard cornering on off-road they are on berms.

Now with a full suspension you CAN do amazing drops over terrain you'd swear would throw you off-line and crash you. And you accelerate almost at the speed of gravity. But cornering is something else.

I asked as I've got a MTB frame that I use. I replaced the telescoping
forks with sold and use it as a "utility bike". With 1-1/2 inch tires
it seems to corner just fine on paved and unpaved roads.

John, I would have thought it to be self evident that I was speaking of the terrain and not the geometry.

Perhaps so, I suppose I read MTB+cornering and just assumed that it
meant cornering and not cornering on loose soil. I stand corrected.

It is still true on pavement because you are riding knobbies

Old July 15th 17, 03:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/14/2017 5:44 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/14/2017 4:32 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
On Friday, July 14, 2017 at 12:43:51 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, July 14, 2017 at 9:21:19 AM UTC-7, Doug Landau wrote:

sports bikes?

What sort of bikes do you have Doug? And then which one's do you ride?

It doesn't matter thats my point
The group is no more for competitive riders than it is for commuters

Hence Sports, the perfect bicycle:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/53sports.jpg

Cool! He and I have the same front hub! (Except mine is two years newer.)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 15th 17, 08:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, July 14, 2017 at 2:32:45 PM UTC-7, Doug Landau wrote:
On Friday, July 14, 2017 at 12:43:51 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, July 14, 2017 at 9:21:19 AM UTC-7, Doug Landau wrote:

sports bikes?

What sort of bikes do you have Doug? And then which one's do you ride?

It doesn't matter thats my point
The group is no more for competitive riders than it is for commuters

BS - while I have no problem with whatever you ride and however your ride, your opinion on fast race bikes isn't pertinent unless you ride fast race bikes fast.
Old July 15th 17, 08:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, July 14, 2017 at 7:49:04 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/14/2017 5:44 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/14/2017 4:32 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
On Friday, July 14, 2017 at 12:43:51 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, July 14, 2017 at 9:21:19 AM UTC-7, Doug Landau wrote:

sports bikes?

What sort of bikes do you have Doug? And then which one's do you ride?

It doesn't matter thats my point
The group is no more for competitive riders than it is for commuters

Hence Sports, the perfect bicycle:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/53sports.jpg

Cool! He and I have the same front hub! (Except mine is two years newer..)

Frank, to remind you of our argument: I said that a lower CG allowed riders to corner faster and you came up with the cyclist diagram that you didn't appear to understand. (If you shorten leg B-C you shorten the hypotenuse and reduce corning forces. Granted, this isn't much but it is descernable.)

Here is an article from Bicycling: (Cervelo R5)

"Engineers also tweaked handling -- increasing BB drop by 4 mm...to improve the bike's stability".

So this isn't just me pulling something off of the top of my head.
Old July 17th 17, 05:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Saturday, July 15, 2017 at 12:44:02 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

What does Jan Heine say?
Old July 20th 17, 06:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-07-07 09:24,
Krygowski wrote:
On 7/7/2017 4:25 AM, John B. wrote:

[...]

Can be done sans berms but a lot of stuff goes flying and it causes
serious trail erosion. Which is why I usually don't do it (and because I
often don't wear suitable shoes):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA0vy9sbiNw

Now with a full suspension you CAN do amazing drops over terrain
you'd swear would throw you off-line and crash you. And you
accelerate almost at the speed of gravity. But cornering is something
else.

Until the rear bottoms out. That is a horrid sound. Happend twice to me
and I don't want to experience that again.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

OLMO from 1987 ? mariusz Techniques 19 January 13th 07 11:55 AM
FA: Olmo Zeffiro KT [email protected] Marketplace 0 August 15th 06 03:38 AM
FS: Olmo Antares 58cm Chris Dodd Marketplace 0 December 1st 04 04:43 AM
FS: Olmo Sirius 54cm Chris Dodd Marketplace 0 November 27th 04 03:12 PM
FS: 62cm Olmo Stardust Plus [email protected] Marketplace 0 October 7th 04 04:34 PM