Topping Frank's bike injury thread

Old July 13th 17, 09:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Default Topping Frank's bike injury thread

On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 4:08:06 PM UTC-7, Tim McNamara wrote:
On Wed, 12 Jul 2017 12:39:17 -0700 (PDT), Doug Landau

Sorry to hear of your injuries. Hope you and the other party get well
soon.

Thanks!

Some reading for you while you recoup
https://www.amazon.com/Ervin-Laszlo/e/B001HCU5XM

Old July 13th 17, 10:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Tim McNamara wrote:
On Wed, 12 Jul 2017, Sepp Ruf wrote:

Valid concerns. So how did your strenuously climbing victim fare?

He claimed to be OK to my wife and the EMTs. He looked to be 30 years
younger than me, so maybe he bounces better. Fit looking MTBer. His
CFRP fork blades snapped off, as I recall.

Thank you. I wish you all the best for your recovery.

(I was quite sure that the other guy had gotten injured much less severely
than you, otherwise you'd probably either have mentioned his condition or
you would have disclosed less about your part of the accident, for legal
reasons.)

Old July 15th 17, 12:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 13:00:07 -0700 (PDT), Doug Landau
wrote:
On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 4:08:06 PM UTC-7, Tim McNamara wrote:
On Wed, 12 Jul 2017 12:39:17 -0700 (PDT), Doug Landau

Sorry to hear of your injuries. Hope you and the other party get
well soon.

Thanks!

Some reading for you while you recoup
https://www.amazon.com/Ervin-Laszlo/e/B001HCU5XM

Ah! I have _A Systems View Of The World_ on my bookshelf; I recall
starting it but not finishing it (probably just read the introduction
and then got lazy). He was highly touted in another book I was reading,
Kurt Lewin I think or perhaps Steven Trierweiler's book on ecological
psychology.
Old July 16th 17, 11:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 13/07/17 00:58, Tim McNamara wrote:
On Wed, 12 Jul 2017 06:22:59 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

Tim, I am so glad your story has a happy-ish ending. Are your vocal
cords going to recover, or is your career covering Barry Gibb songs
over?

My ENT thinks the vocal chords will heal and improve, although I may not
get my full range back.

I have to ask -- what happened to the other guy and why the collision?
Like I have said here before, other cyclists can be a serious hazard.

The other guy seemed to be fine (he looked to be in his late 20s). He
told my wife he was OK and told the EMTs the same. As for "why," I
think that I was the other cyclist that was dangerous. My recollection
is that I may have cut the inside of a left-hand bend and was still
towards his side of the trail. D'oh!

Takes guts to admit to a mistake like that.

Old July 17th 17, 04:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

wrote:

Tim, I am so glad your story has a happy-ish ending. Are your vocal
cords going to recover, or is your career covering Barry Gibb songs
over?

My ENT thinks the vocal chords will heal and improve, although I may
not get my full range back.

I have to ask -- what happened to the other guy and why the
collision? Like I have said here before, other cyclists can be a
serious hazard.

The other guy seemed to be fine (he looked to be in his late 20s).
He told my wife he was OK and told the EMTs the same. As for "why,"
I think that I was the other cyclist that was dangerous. My
recollection is that I may have cut the inside of a left-hand bend
and was still towards his side of the trail. D'oh!

Takes guts to admit to a mistake like that.

Or perhaps idiocy. My wife would vote for the latter. She would have
voted for that before the crash, now she is convinced possibly beyond
remediation.