New KH touring handle

Old December 21st 08, 12:17 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
munirocks

Default New KH touring handle

Hi Kris, glad you found this thread.

So do you think I should rather wait for your handle to come out
instead of butchering my own version at high costs and possibly bad
results? Or is it going to take a lot of time until it comes out?

While we're at it, how about some magura mount adaptors for turning the
29" into a 26"?.

Cause that's what I'm gonna have to make for my KH26 Guni setup next.

Not sure how big the market would be for that, but it should be fairly
easy and cheap to do. Or maybe a dedicated 26" frame...

I'm sure you'll come out with some great stuff, as always

--
munirocks

mono for bono
Old December 21st 08, 03:59 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
danger_uni

Butchering sounds interesting - there are a lot of cool handle ideas out
there =).

Hopefully some new stuff from KHU in this regard will happen around mid
Spring'09.

Kris

--
danger_uni
Old December 21st 08, 05:38 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

danger_uni;1154099 wrote:
Butchering sounds interesting - there are a lot of cool handle ideas out
there =).

Hopefully some new stuff from KHU in this regard will happen around mid
Spring'09.

Kris

Nooo!!!!!! Kris, don't make yet another silly long handlebar sticking
out from the post/seat/frame. It's been done before (many many times)
and all the designs have one fatal flaw. They break. Or else they are
made so ridiculously heavy that the unicycle would be used as a boat
anchor.

Make a V-frame instead so we can use real handlebars/stems from bikes.

--
GizmoDuck

The Induni Unicycle Tour 2009. Unicycle Tour of India. Email me for
details. www.induni.adventureunicyclist.com
The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net
The SINZ Unicycle Tour 2007....South Island, New Zealand
www.sinzuni.org
Old December 21st 08, 07:10 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Klaas Bil

GizmoDuck;1154147 wrote:
Nooo!!!!!! Kris, don't make yet another silly long handlebar sticking
out from the post/seat/frame. It's been done before (many many times)
and all the designs have one fatal flaw. They break. Or else they are
made so ridiculously heavy that the unicycle would be used as a boat
anchor.

Make a V-frame instead so we can use real handlebars/stems from bikes.

Indeed, triangulation is key to strength. But it doesn't have to be in
the frame (as in a V-frame). Imagine two tubes somehow attached to the
frame at different height. The bottom one meets the top one about
halfway (there's your triangle). From that point onwards, the top one
can break out into something double (for both hands), adjustable for
height and length.

I was initially thinking both tubes could emanate from the seat tube or
seat post, but that won't work very well for short people on a 36"
frame. So what about having the lower attachment somewhere on the fork,
not on the seat tube. As a bonus, you'd have some lateral rigidity.

--
Klaas Bil
Old December 21st 08, 08:04 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

Klaas Bil;1154184 wrote:
Indeed, triangulation is key to strength. But it doesn't have to be in
the frame (as in a V-frame). Imagine two tubes somehow attached to the
frame at different height. The bottom one meets the top one about
halfway (there's your triangle). From that point onwards, the top one
can break out into something double (for both hands), adjustable for
height and length.

I was initially thinking both tubes could emanate from the seat tube or
seat post, but that won't work very well for short people on a 36"
frame. So what about having the lower attachment somewhere on the fork,
not on the seat tube. As a bonus, you'd have some lateral rigidity.

No, but the V-frame in my opinion is the most elegant solution. It
will allow you to use many different (bicycle) stems and handlebars.

Old December 21st 08, 10:32 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
munirocks

GizmoDuck;1154147 wrote:
Nooo!!!!!! Kris, don't make yet another silly long handlebar sticking
out from the post/seat/frame. It's been done before (many many times)
and all the designs have one fatal flaw. They break. Or else they are
made so ridiculously heavy that the unicycle would be used as a boat
anchor.

Make a V-frame instead so we can use real handlebars/stems from bikes.

V-Frames would be cool too, of coarse. But what about all the happy
N36, KH36 or Coker owners that don't want an ultra low tuck for whatever
reasons, shouldn't they be able to buy a nice touring handle for their
current setup?

I don't think this is a question of either V-frames or touring handle
anyways, so maybe sometime later on a v-frame could be mass
prouced.

I don't think I'd get one now anyways, since my current setup is very
nice except for the lack of a touring handle.

Sounds like Kris is actually working on a touring handle now, I find
that very exciting!

--
munirocks

mono for bono
Old December 21st 08, 12:42 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

munirocks;1154242 wrote:
V-Frames would be cool too, of coarse. But what about all the happy N36,
KH36 or Coker owners that don't want an ultra low tuck for whatever
reasons, shouldn't they be able to buy a nice touring handle for their
current setup?

I don't think this is a question of either V-frames or touring handle
anyways, so maybe sometime later on a v-frame could be mass
prouced.

I don't think I'd get one now anyways, since my current setup is very
nice except for the lack of a touring handle.

Sounds like Kris is actually working on a touring handle now, I find
that very exciting!

It's not about getting a low tuck, just a more comfortable riding
position. Most unicyclists I know tend to go low as they ride longer
distances or at higher speed. I've been off my unicycle all week
because this has been so hard on my back without an adequately long
handle.

On a bike you can use a more upright stem or spacers to raise the
handlebar height too. Same with a V-frame.

Old December 21st 08, 04:56 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
danger_uni

The setup can be extended out in front or positioned immediately in
front of the saddle and can be adjusted in height; it's light and simple
and seems to work well. Will post more later but probably not for a few
months on this one.

Kris

--
danger_uni
Old December 22nd 08, 12:09 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
munirocks

danger_uni;1154395 wrote:
The setup can be extended out in front or positioned immediately in
front of the saddle and can be adjusted in height; it's light and simple
and seems to work well. Will post more later but probably not for a few
months on this one.

Kris

That sounds great! I'm looking forward to it

So I assume it will attach to the seatpost without the need of rails,
right?

Will it work on both 25.4mm and 27.2mm posts? Because my Nimbus has a
25.4mm one and my KHs are 27.2... Maybe shims would work fine though.

I think it would be great to be able to unmount the handle without
having to remove the seatpost and the brake. Don't know if that would
cause stability issues though, but I think it would be great to be able
to switch around between handle on or off settings.

Then I would probably just keep the brake lever (+spooner) under the
seat on the rail bracket.

PS: Let me know if you need another beta tester

--
munirocks

mono for bono
Old December 23rd 08, 08:15 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
naturequack

munirocks;1154242 wrote:
V-Frames would be cool too, of coarse. But what about all the happy N36,
KH36 or Coker owners that don't want an ultra low tuck for whatever
reasons, shouldn't they be able to buy a nice touring handle for their
current setup?

Having ridden my V-frame since March I can attest that it in no way
requires an ultra low tuck. I can ride upright with a hand on it or
tuck as low as I want to. I've been wanting to post some pictures of my
riding positions (for the home made handlebars thread) but I don't have
any good pictures and it's been snowy and icy lately, so I haven't
ridden in about a week. Maybe when the weather clears I'll get and post
some pics.

Tuck aside, the market for good handlebars for Coker and Nimbus riders
is significant. (as far as unicycle handle bar markets go...)

Ken, what's up with your thumb? Are you a thumb contortionist?

Geoff

--
naturequack

monocycle monstrosity