Mapping Distance Rides

Old December 30th 08, 12:40 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Eroick

Default Mapping Distance Rides

Hey, I just wrote a little thing on some mapping services'over here'
(http://municycle.ca/teamcanadablog/index.php?blog=8). It covers two
services: MapMyRide and Gmaps Pedometer. Personally I've found these
tools quite useful in the past, expecially in planing qualifying rides
for Ride the Lobster. Do you like to get stats on your distance rides?
If so, what tool(s) do you use?

--
Eroick

--Eric Evenchick
Email/MSN:
'Unicyclin' Blog!'
(
http://municycle.ca/teamcanadablog/index.php?blog=8)
'Municycle.ca: Canada's Unicycle.com'
(http://www.municycle.ca)
Old December 30th 08, 01:11 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
innes

I use Memory Map if I need to plan out things, it is a UK based digital
map. I use it with my GPS to record tracklogs. You can follow your
route, finding out your speed at each point on your route. If you want,
you can plan out and upload a route onto your GPS. The GPS works so well
along with digital mapping.

Innes

--
innes
Old December 30th 08, 01:18 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Klaas Bil

Eroick;1160332 wrote:
Hey, I just wrote a little thing on some mapping services'over here'
(http://municycle.ca/teamcanadablog/index.php?blog=8). It covers two
services: MapMyRide and Gmaps Pedometer. Personally I've found these
tools quite useful in the past, expecially in planing qualifying rides
for Ride the Lobster. Do you like to get stats on your distance rides?
If so, what tool(s) do you use?

I use a Garmin eTrex Vista to track all my unicycle rides. It has an old
type receiver which is not that sensitive so I usually have it on top of
my helmet. I'm eyeing a Vista HCx to replace this unit, which I can
probably carry in my backpack or maybe even a fanny pack and still track
good.

At home I load the data onto the PC, then into an Excel spreadsheet. It
does some calculations for me and then plots (in a single plot) versus
date:

- momentaneous max speed (from the trip computer)
- realistic max speed (highest track point speed disregarding
spurious points)
- sustained max speed (highest point of a running median-7 filter)
- cruising speed (complicated calculation, something like the most
common speed in the track file)
- median speed (median value of the tracked speed points)
- moving avg speed (from the trip computer)
- overall avg speed (from the trip computer)

This order is usually from high to low. I judge any development by just
eyeballing this composite plot.

Having the data in Excel gives me full control of plotting and
manipulating, more so than any internet site. E.g. I have a thingie in
there to estimate the time lost at some interference, like a upd or a
closed railroad. I plan to correlate climbing with heart rate, just for
fun. One con, however: there is no integration with a mapping utility
like Google Maps.

--
Klaas Bil
Old December 30th 08, 03:47 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
corbin

Eroick;1160332 wrote:
Hey, I just wrote a little thing on some mapping services'over here'
(http://municycle.ca/teamcanadablog/index.php?blog=8). It covers two
services: MapMyRide and Gmaps Pedometer. Personally I've found these
tools quite useful in the past, expecially in planing qualifying rides
for Ride the Lobster. Do you like to get stats on your distance rides?
If so, what tool(s) do you use?

Lately I started using iMapMyRide with the free iPhone app they give
you. It works quite nice! The website is: http://mapmyfitness.com/ ie,
yesterday's ride:
http://www.mapmyfitness.com/view_workout?w=447054872224 Braille trail,
in Santa Cruz, CA.

Before that, I was copying stats down from my cycle computer and
writing them on my blog to keep track of things.
http://corbinstreehouse.com/blog (click on the Logbook category). I'll
probably still continue to do that, as it is kind of neat to have a log
of what I did.

corbin

--
corbin

http://www.corbinstreehouse.com
Old December 30th 08, 06:53 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
pkittle

Those who use Garmin gps units can check out Motion Based, too, which
allows you to upload your data and it produces all kinds of interesting
info. I don't know about this from a user's perspective (don't have a
gps), but lots of riders on mtbr.com post links to their rides, and I've
found the data pretty helpful in figuring out which trails I'd like to
ride (and which look too steep or too flat or ...)

--
pkittle

*==========================
Peter Kittle * Chico, CA
"The Revolution is just a t-shirt away."
--Billy Bragg
Old December 30th 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kington99

i use a piece of freeware called sportTracks to link to a garmin
forerunner 205

--
kington99

Dave

Old December 31st 08, 08:14 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
naturequack

I look up at the mountain, point and say "Wow! I was all the way up
there."

Geoff

--
naturequack

monocycle monstrosity
Old December 31st 08, 06:44 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
siafirede

kington99;1160759 wrote:
i use a piece of freeware called sportTracks to link to a garmin
forerunner 205

I just bought a forerunner 305. How does sportTracks compare to the
Garmin Training Center that comes with the device?

--
siafirede

'DCuni' (http://www.dcuni.com/blog) - my blog about Unicycling in
Washington DC, Virginia, Maryland
*James* = my name
Old January 1st 09, 10:17 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joemarshall

If you have a nokia mobile phone with GPS, you can use 'nokia
sportstracker' (http://sportstracker.nokia.com). It is really neat - it
can record all your rides, and it can upload them to the web directly
from the phone. It is free too which is nice.

For example, here is the last ride I did in 2008

http://tinyurl.com/8o7at2

It is just so simple and easy to use, and has pretty much all the
features you need.

Nokia phones can also run 'viewranger' (http://www.viewranger.com),
which for UK users gives you fantastic topographical maps and various
other useful things. Worth its weight in gold, great piece of software.
Costs money though.

The really neat thing about this solution is that it's something you
always have with you, so you can record everything, commutes, quick
rides into town to the shops, without having to have any extra piece of
kit with you or having to charge another gadget.

Joe

--
joemarshall

' old pics' (http://tinyurl.com/56yl2f) 'new zealand pics'
(http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o...rshall_photos/) 'new pics'
(http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/joemarshall.org.uk)
'Where have I been riding? (GPS) ' (http://tinyurl.com/6fxw5x)
Old January 2nd 09, 04:09 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Tak

My wife uses 'eCoach' (http://ecoach.garage.maemo.org/) with her GPS
device.
'Active.com' (http://active.com) has a good gmaps-based utility that
allows you to plan, create, and save your routes with your account
profile.

--
Tak

"Unicycling goes against common sense." --maestro8

Long distance bike rides Terry Collins Australia 6 October 1st 05 04:25 PM
Nutrition for long distance rides e.g. LEJOG vernon UK 20 June 30th 05 03:49 PM
Stiff groin muscle for long distance rides Erin Unicycling 12 March 8th 05 10:06 PM
Mapping Wesley Best General 4 June 29th 04 11:34 PM
Electronic mapping Peter Amey UK 13 June 14th 04 09:24 PM