Road Unicycle Set-Up and T7 Handle Modification

Old January 8th 09, 08:13 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

Default Road Unicycle Set-Up and T7 Handle Modification

Klaas Bil;1167025 wrote:
ie6

ARggghhhhh!!!!

That explains it. The worst browser ever. Even for Microsoft.

Get Opera or Firefox

--
GizmoDuck

The Induni Unicycle Tour 2009. Unicycle Tour of India. Email me for
details. www.induni.adventureunicyclist.com
The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net
The SINZ Unicycle Tour 2007....South Island, New Zealand
www.sinzuni.org
Old January 8th 09, 09:22 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
naturequack

The "T" frame seems like a reasonable approach to finding the extended
handlebar solution. My concern with it would be that same as I have
with the T7. Is the "T" strong enough?
When you've got your weight distributed between the seat and the
handlebars the stress on the "T" is not extreme. But when you take your
weight off the handlebars all your weight ends up on the seat. This
would leverage considerable stress against the weld or clamp at the
seat post. The longer the rear bar the greater the stress on that
joint. How long will that last before it snaps? Consider heavier
riders and riding off the odd curb. I'm no expert on strengths of
materials but I don't think it would last through RTL.
What you would need would be a knee brace (like you see supporting the
beams under the eaves of some houses). A bar that would support the
seat-end of the horizontal bar from lower down on the seat post.
Something that came up at 45 degrees or so making a triangle out of the
seat post, horizontal rear bar and the knee brace bar. You probably
wouldn't need to have one under the handlebar end because the maximum
weight on the handlebars would be less than the maximum weight on the
seat.
This would limit the adjustability of the rear half of the "T". But
you could make up for that by raising the seat high enough off of the
horizontal bar and adding a tilt mechanism or just by adding in some
adjusting mechanism to the handlebar itself.

Ok I really need to leave town and build some igloos. I just can't
seem to tear myself away from this thread. See you next week.

Geoff

--
naturequack

monocycle monstrosity
Old January 8th 09, 09:25 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tmoyer

I've always wondered why road unicyclists use a hand position that looks
so awkward and bunched up.

I don't yet own a 36, but if I do, I'm going to want to be close to a
bike position on it.

--
tmoyer

')--360unispin08--O'
(http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=HPwf_TA17xo)
')--75cmHighJump*'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZywfKhbBFkY)
Old January 8th 09, 09:38 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Klaas Bil

GizmoDuck;1167028 wrote:
ARggghhhhh!!!!

That explains it. The worst browser ever. Even for Microsoft.

Get Opera or Firefox

Firefox yes, but only when I have a new PC. This one has no room left
for significant new installations. On the other hand, since most of the
pages of adventureunicyclist display just fine (I found the erratic
behaviour only on the T-frame page), from my perspectives something is
wrong with that particular page. A kind of wrongness that Firefox may be
able to correct for you, but still

--
Klaas Bil
Old January 8th 09, 09:40 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Klaas Bil

naturequack;1167074 wrote:
[...]

It would be the Y frame! (Not really but there is no letter like that.)

--
Klaas Bil
Old January 9th 09, 04:10 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
lpounds

Though I have not ever used another set-up other than the T7, I can feel
my body screaming for a more bike-like geometry when riding.

Another thing to consider is the position of the hands themselves. I
wouldn't be against trying out a handlebar that resembles road bike drop
bars. Scott Wilton from the forums has modded his T7 to include a drop
bar-esque option and they definitely didn't impede him during RTL
(especially the crit).

Of course, the bars still have to be relatively close together so that
he doesn't catch his legs during a UPD. Can anyone think of a plausible
way to give the rider a wider bar (possibly as wide as shoulder width)
without making them too much of an obstacle in the event of a UPD?

I have been waiting for someone to make this thread. Please, let's
make V, T, and sometimes Y frames the norm for distance and road riding!

And another thought... If it turns out that the current upright riding
position is indeed better for things like idling etc., is there a reason
why there couldn't be two seats?

--
lpounds

the face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the
face.

if you're a cowboy and you're dragging a guy behind your horse, i bet
it would really make you mad if you looked back and the guy was reading
a magazine.

- jack handey
Old January 9th 09, 04:33 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jeremy R

How about a telescoping wide handle with a device that when you squeeze
the handle grip, it pumps air into the rod, telescoping it out.

--
Jeremy R

'661' (http://www.sixsixone.com/)
'MountainUni' (http://www.mountainuni.com/splash.asp)
spam ban kaboom - Gilby
Old January 9th 09, 05:17 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
steveyo

lpounds;1167303 wrote:
If it turns out that the current upright riding position is indeed
better for things like idling etc., is there a reason why there couldn't
be two seats?

This is a huge step outside the box. I'm not sure I'd want a unicycle
with two seats, though it's obviously easy with Ken's setup. But more
importantly, that's the kind of explosively radical suggestion we need
to evolve the equipment for our blooming sport. Keep them coming.

Meanwhile, a Y-frame mockup...

|Filename: Y_frame.jpg |

steveyo

steveyo
...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

- a 'few uni race write-ups'
(http://home.roadrunner.com/~rduhan/uni_race_writeups/)
- muni and kokopelli uni 't-shirts, mugs and stickers'
(http://www.cafepress.com/steveyo)
Old January 9th 09, 06:18 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

naturequack;1167074 wrote:
The "T" frame seems like a reasonable approach to finding the extended
handlebar solution. My concern with it would be that same as I have
with the T7. Is the "T" strong enough?
When you've got your weight distributed between the seat and the
handlebars the stress on the "T" is not extreme. But when you take your
weight off the handlebars all your weight ends up on the seat. This
would leverage considerable stress against the weld or clamp at the
seat post. The longer the rear bar the greater the stress on that
joint. How long will that last before it snaps? Consider heavier
riders and riding off the odd curb. I'm no expert on strengths of
materials but I don't think it would last through RTL.
Geoff

You are now getting closer to the V-frame design which is I think the
best solution. But for people with the current single fork frame, I
think it's better to have two short poles than one long one.

As I've mentioned before, I never ever ride with my hands off the bars.
It's like riding a bike with no hands. Fun for a while, but not much
good if you are riding for any sort of distance.

Old January 9th 09, 06:20 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

steveyo;1167327 wrote:
This is a huge step outside the box. I'm not sure I'd want a unicycle
with two seats, though it's obviously easy with Ken's setup. But more
importantly, that's the kind of explosively radical suggestion we need
to evolve the equipment for our blooming sport. Keep them coming.

Meanwhile, a Y-frame mockup...

This would work, if you were tall!