Road Unicycle Set-Up and T7 Handle Modification

Old January 12th 09, 04:12 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
munimutant

Default Road Unicycle Set-Up and T7 Handle Modification

GizmoDuck;1169158 wrote:

Munimutant: The leverage is maximised by having the bar extended out
far enough that your elbows are only slightly bent and your arms
extended outfront. With the current designs (eg T7 in std position or
GB4 handles), your elbows end up fully flexed when you bend over. There
is not much mechanical advantage pulling upwards or towards you (your
elbows already flexed and arms are against your body!).
See the second photo on my AU article:
http://www.adventureunicyclist.com/?page_id=263

Right on. Do you think if your elbows were resting on platforms like
triathlete bars (I think some people in this thread are trying them)
you'd get even more leverage?

--
munimutant
Old January 12th 09, 04:19 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

munimutant;1169162 wrote:

Right on. Do you think if your elbows were resting on platforms like
triathlete bars (I think some people in this thread are trying them)
you'd get even more leverage?

Nope, I think it's still dependent on where your arms are (or should
be!). On a bike, triathlon bars are used really to flatten your back
and let your rest your arms in front of you. I think many of the
unicycles I've seen with Triathlon bars are not using them to do that,
they're using them to extend their reach. If you had the correct reach
on your unicycle (whether with a Tframe/7-frame/Yframe/V-frame), I don't
think triathlon bars will be that much more useful than just a standard
bar.

--
GizmoDuck

The Induni Unicycle Tour 2009. Unicycle Tour of India. Email me for
details. www.induni.adventureunicyclist.com
The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net
The SINZ Unicycle Tour 2007....South Island, New Zealand
www.sinzuni.org
Old January 12th 09, 09:29 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
brycer1968

Gizmo and his T-7 experiment got me thinking and trying out some
different ideas base on his seat-rearward design. The part I like about
this set-up is that it doesn't need a rail adaptor now and adjustment of
the "upper frame"?? angle is made with an inexpensive adjustable
threadless stem (that I cut the handlebar clamp part off of to
facilitate welding to a 27.2 alloy seatpost). The mast is 1 1/8 cromo
tubing to allow use of threadless bike stems.

Note that this set up will only be stong (and safe) if the upper mount
for the blue brace is completed and firlmy attached to the upper frame .
Without completing this "triangle", I suspect that you'd be asking a
cheap stem to do too much for ya. (BTW: The new seat tube is cut off
of a defective Torker Unistar frame that Serious Juggling gave me . . .
. to use as a zombie killing device for a short film about MUNI and a
nasty zombie outbreak. Never did kill anything live or dead with that
frame, but now at least the seat tube lives on I suppose. . .)

Yes, so where was I . . .oh yes, this adds about a pound to the other
blue handlebar set-up that I posted here, but I'm confident that I can
loose that pound if I build with aluminum for version II:
//www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74023&highlight=frigging+blue

Obviously, Its kind of rough and I have some more welding to do before
its ready for any sort of test ride.

Ok, so thats the latest work-in-progress from the Unicycle *******s
armory and thanks again Gizmo for getting the creative juices flowing on
this.

Brycer1968

|Filename: 067.jpg |

brycer1968
Old January 12th 09, 10:07 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
munirocks

GizmoDuck;1169158 wrote:
how do you ride in Snow????

The snow was pretty easy to ride on, just as long as it wasn't deep
snow... About 95% of my 42km ride were completely covered with snow. The
occasional icy bits worked too, actually. I was surprised at the amount
of traction I had with the Nightrider tire, even on parts that were
quite slippery to walk on. Of course I didn't go at maximum speed, I
kept it between 15 and 25km/h. It was a great new feeling riding on
snow, and the people I passed seemed to be even more perplex than
usual

--
munirocks

mono for bono
Old January 12th 09, 01:40 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

brycer1968;1169233 wrote:

Ok, so thats the latest work-in-progress from the Unicycle *******s
armory and thanks again Gizmo for getting the creative juices flowing on
this.

Brycer1968

We had an T-frame, 7-frame/r-frame, V-frame, |-frame.

Now we have the p-frame also

Old January 12th 09, 02:49 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Probailer2

All these ideas are realy clever, but I would realy prefer a V frame.
I mailed Roger at unicycle.com uk with the suggestion of making V
frames in 29" and 36". Lets see what he replies

--
Probailer2

JJuggle wrote:
If somebody cloned your mother would you have sex with the clone? I
should think not.

Danni wrote:
I don't like having penis written all over my uni .

manon1wheel wrote:
no offense but deads look plain old gross...

Old January 12th 09, 02:52 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

Probailer2;1169302 wrote:
All these ideas are realy clever, but I would realy prefer a V frame.
I mailed Roger at unicycle.com uk with the suggestion of making V
frames in 29" and 36". Lets see what he replies

I asked Connie to ask Roger a while back...haven't heard back.

It makes sense to me to modify the existing Nimbus 36"....all they'd
need is to weld the forks at a greater angle, and weld a seatube to the
accessory fork.

Old January 12th 09, 03:18 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Probailer2

GizmoDuck;1169304 wrote:
I asked Connie to ask Roger a while back...haven't heard back.

It makes sense to me to modify the existing Nimbus 36"....all they'd
need is to weld the forks at a greater angle, and weld a seatube to the
accessory fork.

Exactly how I explained it to them
Wouldn't be that hard to modify it

--
Probailer2

Old January 14th 09, 10:37 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Klaas Bil

Just thinking: would there be merit in having two seats at the same
time? A bike seat in the rear and a unicycle seat in the usual location?
And then some short handlebars in front? The latter would be
(1) relatively close to the uni seat for mounting and for power uphill
or other low-speed situations,
(2) relatively far from the bike seat, to allow an extended arm
position.

Potential bonuses:
(a) if you have saddle-soreness from one seat, it might be a relief to
switch to the other seat in mid-ride;
(b) maybe the uni seat can double up as some kind of elbow support.

--
Klaas Bil
Old January 15th 09, 12:15 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

Klaas Bil;1170555 wrote:
Just thinking: would there be merit in having two seats at the same
time? A bike seat in the rear and a unicycle seat in the usual location?
And then some short handlebars in front? The latter would be
(1) relatively close to the uni seat for mounting and for power uphill
or other low-speed situations,
(2) relatively far from the bike seat, to allow an extended arm
position.

Potential bonuses:
(a) if you have saddle-soreness from one seat, it might be a relief to
switch to the other seat in mid-ride;
(b) maybe the uni seat can double up as some kind of elbow support.

Hi Klaas,

I think with the extended bike position, there is actually quite good
leverage, provided that it is set up like a bike (ie handlebars lower
down). If you have the extended position with bars that are too
upright, you have no leverage. Same as with a bike- if =the handlebars
were up against your chest, it severely limits your leverage and power.