Front derailer compatibility issue?

Old March 24th 09, 03:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Marty

Default Front derailer compatibility issue?

On Mar 23, 2:23*pm, Hank Wirtz wrote:
On Mar 23, 11:46*am, Marty wrote:

On Mar 23, 11:57*am, Hank Wirtz wrote:

On Mar 23, 10:12*am, Marty wrote:

On Mar 22, 2:08*pm, Marty wrote:

On Mar 22, 1:46*pm, AMuzi wrote:

Marty wrote:
Front derailer compatibility issue?

I'm trying to upgrade an old (early 90's) Shimano friction shift
system to an indexed system. *It's 7 speed rear and tripple front.
The rear is fine, the front is not.

This is a bottom pull FD setup (it’s really a “city bike”, not a
mountain bike). *Also, it’s Bio-Pace, which I really don’t like, but,
it’s my wife’s bike, she likes it, and I don’t want to spend too much
to overhaul it.

Anyway, when I attached the FD cable and tried to shift, it took a lot
of pressure on the shift lever to even move the FD. *When the FD does
move, it seems to swing out too much with the amount of shift lever
movement. *For example, moving from low (1) to middle (2) causes the
FD to move all the way to the big ring.

I added slack to the cable, thinking maybe I had it too tight - that
helped a little, but even with a lot of slack in there, it still moved
too much and still takes what seems to be way to pressure to cause the
movement.

Chainline seems to be okay:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chainline.html

The above indicates 47.5 to 50mm and I’m at about 49mm.

Do I need a new FD that is compatible with this indexed front shifter?

Maybe. First, ensure the gear wire is attached above, not
below, the anchor bolt. If that's right, get a newer model
changer.
AFAIK anything Shimano from 1988-up (BioPace era) is
front-click compatible.

--
Andrew Muzi
* www.yellowjersey.org/

Hi Andrew and Hank,

The original FD and crank/chainrings are Shimano Exage 300 LX (bio-
pace), chainrings are 48/38/28.

The original shifters are Exage Country SLR (friction).

The new shifters are generic Shimano indexing rapid-fire type shifters
- very nice actually. *For the front brifter, the thumb lever shifts
to a highter gear, the finger lever shifts to lower gears. *The brake
levers even have a little tab that you can move to change between V-
brakes and cantilever type brakes. * They are similar to this, only
mine are brifters:

http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?id=2671

The FD cable was attached to the FD bolt to the left-top (non-drive
side).

I think the new brifters are newer model than the original stuff.
--
Marty- Hide quoted text -

Anybody? *I'm so close to getting this project completed. *Would love
to know if anybody has had similar experience with converting FD
friction shift to indexed. *I've read some thing on Sheldon's site
that would suggest that I may have to upgrade the FD. *Just not sure.
Help!!!- Hide quoted text -

Your Exage 300LX is from after the introduction of Front SIS, so the
pull ratio should be OK.

Getting a new one will be dicey, too, because of the chainring sizes.
Most FDs compatible with your shifters will be 44T max.

Like Andy said, I'd mostly suspect that the cable's on the wrong side
of the anchor bolt.- Hide quoted text -

From Sheldon's web pages on FD:

"The ratio of cable movement to derailer movement differs with
Shimano's "road " vs. "MTB " front derailers. This can cause indexing
problems if you use a "road" front derailer with upright handlebars or
a "MTB" front derailer with drop handlebars. This is a concern if you
are running an indexed front shifter, such as Shimano STI or RapidFire
shifters."

Is this Exage 300LX a true MTB FD? *Because, what is stated above is
exactly what is happening in my case. *There is WAY too much FD
movement with the amount of cable movement with this new index
shifter. *Now, this would not be an issue with the old friction based
shifter. *As stated by Sheldon he

"It is not a problem if you are using a friction system, such as bar-
end shifters or downtube shifters. It is also not a problem with
ratcheting systems such as Campagnolo Ergo."

Hmmmm???- Hide quoted text -

The Exage 300LX was definitely a mountain group, .

However, if you decide to get something new, be sure to go cheap and
cheerful - something like a Shimano Nexave FD-T301. Shouldn't be more
than $15, probably closer to $12. Be sure that it's not the T300,
which is for the smaller chainrings, and if anybody tries to steer you
to something you're not sure about, get them to agree to take it back
if it's not right.- Hide quoted text -

I tried moving the cable to the other side of the mouting bolt
(outside). I suspected that this would make things worse because
there would be less leverage - I was right - it would not even move.

I looked at the shifter install instructions and it lists two FD
types: FD-CT92-E, which is a BB mount (no thanks). The other is FD-
C051 which which is what I'd buy if I could find one or anything
compatible. Any suggestions?
--
Marty
Old March 24th 09, 04:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On Mar 23, 10:12 am, Marty wrote:

On Mar 22, 2:08 pm, Marty wrote:
On Mar 22, 1:46 pm, AMuzi wrote:
Marty wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the feedback.

Was the 300LX made specifically for the bio-pace 48/38/28 combo?

Anyway, looking from the rear, the cable was mounted up and along the
left side of the FD. Not over the top, not under the bolt (bottom),
and not on the right side of the bolt. I can try different mount
locations, but I'm pretty sure that is how it was mounted with the old
friction shifter.

It's a Shimano brand shifter, yes?

Old March 24th 09, 04:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On Mar 23, 10:12 am, Marty wrote:

On Mar 22, 2:08 pm, Marty wrote:
On Mar 22, 1:46 pm, AMuzi wrote:
Marty wrote:
[...]

From Sheldon's web pages on FD:

[...]

Aha! Get a road front changer

Old March 24th 09, 03:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank Wirtz

On Mar 23, 10:12 am, Marty wrote:

On Mar 22, 2:08 pm, Marty wrote:
On Mar 22, 1:46 pm, AMuzi wrote:
Marty wrote:
[...]

From Sheldon's web pages on FD:

[...]

By "changer" you mean derailer?
--
Marty- Hide quoted text -

He does. But to be sure what you need, we really need to know the
model of your shifter. There's got to be a model number on there
somewhere, probably next to the clamp, a number prefixed by "ST-" or
"SL-"
Old March 25th 09, 02:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Marty

On Mar 24, 9:05*am, Hank Wirtz wrote:
On Mar 24, 6:59*am, Marty wrote:

On Mar 23, 10:12 am, Marty wrote:

On Mar 22, 2:08 pm, Marty wrote:
On Mar 22, 1:46 pm, AMuzi wrote:
Marty wrote:
[...]

From Sheldon's web pages on FD:

[...]

"SL-"- Hide quoted text -

They a

Rear: ST-EF50-7R
Front: ST-EF50-F

Looks like this:

http://www.mysimon.com/9015-11034_8-42322372.html

This will no doubt help in my search for the correct FD!

Thanks again.
--
Marty
Old March 25th 09, 02:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Marty

On Mar 24, 6:59*am, Marty wrote:

On Mar 23, 10:12 am, Marty wrote:

On Mar 22, 2:08 pm, Marty wrote:
On Mar 22, 1:46 pm, AMuzi wrote:
Marty wrote:
[...]

From Sheldon's web pages on FD:

[...]

$9.99 @
http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=4151

Notice that the cable comes up from the BB and then over the top on a
pulley like device - then if connects to the attachment bolt. That is
what the directions show as well. Cold it be that this shifter is
compatible with only this type of FD?
--
Marty
Old March 25th 09, 06:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank Wirtz

On Mar 24, 6:59*am, Marty wrote:

On Mar 23, 10:12 am, Marty wrote:

On Mar 22, 2:08 pm, Marty wrote:
On Mar 22, 1:46 pm, AMuzi wrote:
Marty wrote:
[...]

From Sheldon's web pages on FD:

[...]

OK, that's definitely going to need a MTB FD. I guess your Exage was
working to a different (earlier?) standard.

The "pulley" on the one you cite is to allow the cable to come from
either direction, to or bottom. The Acera-X likely won't work because
your chainrings are too big. The same site has the Tourney FD-CO51,
which works with 48t rings, but they only have the 35mm clamp version.
Shims are available, and work to varying degrees if your seat tube is
smaller, and DIY shims of PVC pipe or other plumbing hardware are
often effective.

Another option that should work with your shifter is the SRAM 3.0,
which is widely available in a 48T version, and includes a shim to
work with either 32 or 35mm seat tubes.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...erailleur.aspx
Old March 25th 09, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Marty

On Mar 24, 6:59*am, Marty wrote:

On Mar 23, 10:12 am, Marty wrote:

On Mar 22, 2:08 pm, Marty wrote:
On Mar 22, 1:46 pm, AMuzi wrote:
Marty wrote:
[...]

From Sheldon's web pages on FD:

[...]

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...nt+Deraill...- Hide quoted text -

Hank,

Thanks very, very much.

I did find a FD-C051 at a shop in the UK.

I think I'll try the SRAM 3.0. :-) Or, go with the shim and the FD-
C051. I like shims, I had to use them in a SS project that was a
Raleigh Crested Butte from the mid 80's. That was a fun project.
--
Marty