Chain advice for the following setup:

Old May 26th 09, 06:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Chain advice for the following setup:

On May 25, 2:17*pm, Marty wrote:
On May 25, 12:07*pm, jim beam wrote:

landotter wrote:
can you not see the difference between shimano 9-s & 10-s chains? don't
you think shimano would design their pick-up ramps to mesh with the
appropriate chain?

No they don't, they just make the spacers more wee.

you need to look a little closer. *the differences may be small, but
they do affect shifting.

Yea, the chain difference is very obvious. *My vote is that things
have changed enough such that Shimano 10sp chains and 9sp cassettes
don't live happily together. * At leaste that is what it sounds like
on my 9sp/10sp setup.

Now, my 8sp cassette with 9sp chain and chainrings combo is better
than the original 8/8 setup. *So, that is where I was coming from.
Silly me. *I should know better than to assume.
--
Marty

sorry I am taking medication for a lung infection, got me quite dizzy
at night- when I read your post last night I thought you meant you
were intending 10spd chainrings with 9 spd cassette and 9 spd chain.
Old May 26th 09, 06:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Marty

landotter wrote:
[...]

were intending 10spd chainrings with 9 spd cassette and 9 spd chain.- Hide quoted text -

No worries. Hope you're feeling better.

Some have said it sholdn't be an issue. Most say it isn't ideal. I
got a 9sd chain and put it on. It seems to work fine with the 10sp
chainrings and it is for sure better with the 9sp cassette.

Thanks all for the feedback.
--
Marty