Size 56 IRO Mark V fixie with 172.5mm cranks?

Old June 18th 09, 11:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Marty

Default Size 56 IRO Mark V fixie with 172.5mm cranks?

Pedal strike?

Anybody else riding fixed with 172.5mm cranks?

Thanks.
--
Marty
Old June 19th 09, 04:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jun 18, 10:21 pm, Marty wrote:
Pedal strike?

Anybody else riding fixed with 172.5mm cranks?

I'm sure someone else rides that combo. It's a wee long compared to
what most 56cm riders would choose, but not really shocking. If you
like it, ride it--and manufacture some story about how an unknown
track racer hero of yours from the moustache era also had a 172.5
preference, and thus was an underdog just like you.

Do try a compact spd pedal instead of ones made for slot cleats, but
popular with the skate shoe set, and you'll be much less likely to
strike in a corner.
Old June 19th 09, 04:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jun 18, 5:21*pm, Marty wrote:
Pedal strike?

Anybody else riding fixed with 172.5mm cranks?

Thanks.
--
Marty

Not fixed but single speed freewheel with 172.5 mm crank arms. I know
not the same. Friend gave me the crank and its 172.5 so that is what
I am using. 172.5 rides just fine. Frame size won't make any
difference since most/all frames in the same model have the same
bottom bracket drop/height. On the IRO Mark V all frames from 50cm to
62cm have 5cm bottom bracket drop. And all use 700C wheels. So all
will have the pedals the same distance above the road.
Old June 19th 09, 06:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Marty wrote:
Pedal strike?

Anybody else riding fixed with 172.5mm cranks?

Thanks.
--
Marty

I've ridden 170's for years, with plain old Shimano double sided MTB
style pedals. I don't ride with skinny tires now, but I have before. I
haven't had any particular issues with pedal strike, I don't even think
about it now. Curb strike is a bigger concern. I have a friend who rides
fixed exclusively (including double centuries & up), and he went down
hard that way.

I normally ride 175's and most of my bikes are low BB touring frames. I
have struck a pedal a few times when I wasn't careful cornering hard on
skinny tires. I don't push a fixer that hard in a corner.
Old June 22nd 09, 11:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Marty

On Jun 19, 9:37*am, landotter wrote:
On Jun 18, 10:21 pm, Marty wrote:

Pedal strike?

Anybody else riding fixed with 172.5mm cranks?

I'm sure someone else rides that combo. It's a wee long compared to
what most 56cm riders would choose, but not really shocking. If you
like it, ride it--and manufacture some story about how an unknown
track racer hero of yours from the moustache era also had a 172.5
preference, and thus was an underdog just like you.

Do try a compact spd pedal instead of ones made for slot cleats, but
popular with the skate shoe set, and you'll be much less likely to
strike in a corner.

:-) Yea, I just like 172.5 and for sure I am an underdog.

Thanks for the feedback!
--
Marty
Old June 22nd 09, 11:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Marty

On Jun 19, 9:49*am, "
wrote:
On Jun 18, 5:21*pm, Marty wrote:

Pedal strike?

Anybody else riding fixed with 172.5mm cranks?

Thanks.
--
Marty

Not fixed but single speed freewheel with 172.5 mm crank arms. *I know
not the same. *Friend gave me the crank and its 172.5 so that is what
I am using. *172.5 rides just fine. *Frame size won't make any
difference since most/all frames in the same model have the same
bottom bracket drop/height. *On the IRO Mark V all frames from 50cm to
62cm have 5cm bottom bracket drop. *And all use 700C wheels. *So all
will have the pedals the same distance above the road.

I had not noticed the BB drop on the IROs! 50mm, that should make
fixed with 172.5 and 700x25 or even 700x23 no problem at all.

Thanks!!!
--
Marty

BB size with cranks Penny Techniques 61 September 4th 08 04:57 AM
what size cranks? ilosttheotherwheel Unicycling 2 September 3rd 06 03:27 AM
what size cranks? irvinegr Unicycling 1 September 2nd 06 09:20 PM
WTT: DURA-ACE 10sp cranks size 175 for size 172.5 Antony Galvan Marketplace 0 October 28th 04 07:44 PM
Fixie frame found, Fuji Questions, and WTB fixie cranks, wheels,bb, seat,& rear rack Tim Lines Techniques 0 August 17th 03 09:52 PM