American Classic hub design problem

Old November 13th 04, 11:22 PM
Matt O'Toole

m-gineering wrote:

wrote:

Take one apart and see if there are an even or odd number of teeth in
the ratchet and the number of pawls.

2 pawls @ 90 degrees, 16 teeth

Are all Shimano hubs like this? I've had many apart, but never counted the
teeth! I always assumed it was an odd number, with one pawl carrying the load
like previous freewheels.

Matt O.

Old November 13th 04, 11:25 PM
Matt O'Toole

Jeff Wills wrote:

The quietest hubs I have are Shimano, once I run a little Phil oil
into the pawls. Then there's the Sunshine track hub on my fixie, but
that doesn't count. ;-)

Phil oil does seem to be exactly the right lube for Shimano freehubs -- one
reason I keep it on hand.

Matt O.

Old November 13th 04, 11:47 PM
Matt O'Toole

Andre wrote:

Hello folks. Recently, my American Classic rear hub had a problem.
Those of you familiar with the design will know it's problematic.

snipped

Relying on the
modulus of elasticity of a material (bent wire) really is a
shortcoming in this otherwise-elegant design.

What's elegant about it? Seems to me the whole thing is a bad idea.

This is one reason I'm really leery of fancy wheel sets -- hubs of questionable
reliability and durability.

The Hugis and Kings used in Rolf road wheels and Bontrager MTB ones are not the
greatest designs, but in practice they're pretty reliable.

I've had the best luck with Shimano hubs, after rebuilding the freehub bodies,
adjusting the bearings with shims. I've never known anyone else to bother
trying this, probably because it's a pain. But it gets rid of the wobble,
allowing the pawls to engage straight and more reliably.

Matt O.

Old November 14th 04, 05:19 PM

I have 2 CK rear hubs.One is as you describe. The other is no noisier than
a DA
hub, and not nearly as noisy as a Campy hub (tested while riding alongside
someone with a Campy hub). I have no idea what makes my 2 hubs different.

The
quietest rear hub I have is an Ultegra.

Not necessarily a good test, B. The neighbor's hub always sounds
louder than the one you're astride. The reasin is it's easier to hear
something next to you than behind you.

Robin Hubert

The Campy hub sounded louder to the rider with the Campy hub also.

(remove clothes to reply)