One for Howard.

Old August 17th 07, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

Default One for Howard.

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article , Don Whybrow
says...
Tony Raven wrote:
Rich B wrote:

Hetchins - I'd almost forgotten about them. Always wanted one;
beautiful bikes. Do they still make them?

Yes.
http://www.hetchins.com/index.htm

Beautiful detailing on the lugs!

What are the brakes used on the blue road bike?

Campag Delta.

Spouse was very pleased to see the website but wondered about the brakes
too. It looked as though they were running on the tyre.

We know almost nothing about modern bikes - still using ours from the
sixties :-(

Mary

Old August 17th 07, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mary Fisher

wrote in message ...
On 16 Aug,
"Rich B" wrote:

Sucking his keyboard for inspiration, Mary Fisher typed:

My favourite, apart from what I'm riding now - occasionally - was the
curly Hetchins tandem. I was riding that - solo - until hours before
our third child was born. She now has it. I couldn't ride fixed wheel
with a big belly and the Hetchins had gears.

Still don't like gears ...

Mary

Hetchins - I'd almost forgotten about them. Always wanted one; beautiful
bikes. Do they still make them?

Were those the ones with the curly rear stays? I haven't seen one for
yonks.

That's why I called it our curly Hetchins! And yes they are, if you look at
the website.

Mary

--
BD
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

Old August 17th 07, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.caravanning
David Damerell

Quoting I've lost my Dhobi Wallah!..... :
Yes, indeed! - those were the days! - A prosperous empire, a domestic
mono-culture, and a thriving cycle industry.

Watch for the new racist kook crossposting to uk.rec.caravanning - they
don't want all the Hetchins chat. Followup-To: uk.rec.cycling alone set.
--
David Damerell flcl?
Today is Teleute, August.
Old August 17th 07, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"David Martin" wrote in message
ups.com...

Look more carefully. It has no brakes. It probably has a fixed gear as
well. And if you read the article you will see that it was used on the
local cycle track. One would presume it was used as a pacer for
certain types of racing (motorcycles being unknown in 18xx)

Yes, that was The Boulevard, until recently home of Hull RLFC and Hull
Viking speedway. Presumably, the track went around the rugby pitch. In my
youth it was a cinder track for the speedway races.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

Old August 17th 07, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.caravanning
I've lost my Dhobi Wallah!.....

#

"David Damerell" wrote in message
Quoting I've lost my Dhobi Wallah!..... :
Yes, indeed! - those were the days! - A prosperous empire, a domestic
mono-culture, and a thriving cycle industry.

Watch for the new racist kook crossposting to uk.rec.caravanning - they
don't want all the Hetchins chat. Followup-To: uk.rec.cycling alone set.

Firstly, I would be hugely obliged to you if you would exercise the common
courtesy of leaving the message destinations alone! Quite *why* you feel
the need to dictate who reads what, is beyond me! - I can only assume that
you are also one of the censorious tree hugging fascists who want to take
away my car!!

As for the posit itself - perhaps you could explain to me *why* poor
starving persecuted Matumbo is now better off in his independent homeland,
rather than living under the protection of our former empire?

I always try not to personalise Usenet encounters - but I have to say that
you are precisely the sort of odious hypocrite that makes me feel like
vomiting! The sort of nasty inverted bigot who champions every 'librul'
cause - and then steps away with a self-satisfied air, leaving others to
endure the misery you have helped create.

It is *you* who are the 'racist! - you appear happy to see Africans buried
alive by blood stained tribal butchers like Mugabe, torn to shreds by evil
demon possessed savages like Amin, hacked limb from limb, as in Rwanda,
starved, mutilated, slaughtered in their hundreds of thousands by every
bone-pierced despot who rises from the slime of the African cesspool - as
long as (horror of unspeakable horrors) they don't have to endure the
indignity of being a colonial subject!

**** on you - and all those like you, The blood of millions remains on your
well scrubbed hands.

Old August 17th 07, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
I've lost my Dhobi Wallah!.....

--
In Memoriam

http://www.drypool.net/cgi-bin/system.pl?id=nfflist
"Tony Raven" wrote in message
Roger Merriman wrote:

yup one of the old pubs in the gorge had old photos of folks who'd gone
for a ride, considering the contor lines in the area and the brakes etc
on older bikes, impressive.

I wonder what that quint was like with two wheeled 1950's braking on steel
rims downhill?

Prolly a good job Hull is flat!

They'd never shift them in Hull these days - not without a periscope

Old August 18th 07, 01:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.caravanning
I've lost my Dhobi Wallah!.....

"mb" wrote in message

#

:
Yes, indeed! - those were the days! - A prosperous empire, a
domestic mono-culture, and a thriving cycle industry.

Watch for the new racist kook crossposting to uk.rec.caravanning -
they don't want all the Hetchins chat. Followup-To: uk.rec.cycling
alone set.

Firstly, I would be hugely obliged to you if you would exercise the
common courtesy of leaving the message destinations alone! Quite why
you feel the need to dictate who reads what, is beyond me!

You should know, you've done just that.
Anyway, where's the tiffin wallah...

Capital idea! - and send the char wallah in at the same time (it's
thirsty work governing all the red bits on the map)

Old August 18th 07, 05:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.caravanning
Tom Crispin

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 22:45:30 +0100, "I've lost my Dhobi Wallah!....."
wrote:

blood stained tribal butchers like Mugabe

Is he any worse than King Henry VIII was?