Dahon Curve folding bike?

Old October 3rd 07, 04:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Scott Gordo

Default Dahon Curve folding bike?

On Oct 2, 4:44 pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per :

folder for commuting to work

Has anybody used a brand that I *think* is "Zoot" or "Xoot"?

Saw one in a Philly LBS and one of the wrenches there said it was
his favorite handling-wise among folders for commuting.
--
PeteCresswell

Funny, I was just talking to a guy about this yesterday on the subway.
He had a Swift Folder. He said it's the same bike.

/s

Old October 3rd 07, 05:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Scott Gordo

On Oct 2, 11:32 am, wrote:
Anyone have one and can share some comments abt it?

I'm VERY limited on money right now but want/need a
folder for commuting to work

I bought one for my father a few years back, a cromo "Boardwalk" with
6 or 7 (external) gears in the back. I think it was under $300.

It's a nice design and very well made for the ducats. It folds up
conveniently small and with impressive ease, and put back together
very securely and intuitively. If my father can fold/unfold it without
so much as losing a finger, then Dahon has really done their homework
-- his mechanical ineptitude would be comical if he wasn't my pops.
Included a small rear rack, which was a nice throw-in. The carrying
weight is probably closer to 30lbs than 20. I don't know how that
compares with a similarly equipped bike from another manufacturer.

I have taken a few toodles on it. I'm 6'2 and 215lbs, so I'm already
on the outside of the cycling spectrum. There was _just_ enough
seatpost to give me an acceptable leg extension. The steering was
almost all-hands -- it was too upright for me to really lean in much,
but it wasn't scary-squirrely either. (I could probably help that with
some bar ends if it was my bike.) As far as stiffness goes, you won't
confuse it with an 80s Cannondale. I wouldn't want to race a crit on
it, but it, you know, got the job done. I'd assume that most of the
flex comes from the looong seatpost and the pillar that leads up to
the stem. (FWIW, it's roughly a million times stiffer than the cute
old 70's Bianchi folding boat anchors I've had, but much less of a
chick magnet.) For my father's leisurely, 2 mile excursions to the
store or down the promenade, it's perfect. Your enjoyment may be
largely based on how far your commute is, and how fast you need to get
there.

I think it's a very good value. As I'm starting to do more travelling,
I've been poking around craigslist here and there for a used one. And
I definitely wouldn't go any cheaper than a Dahon. There are a lot of
very crappy looking designs out there.

Scott

Old October 3rd 07, 07:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

The bike friday Tikit is small, but not as well designed as the Brompton
in terms of folded size.

Yeah I'm aware of the Tikit and Brompton but they are
too pricey for me at this moment

However you definitely STILL give the edge to the
Brompton over the Tikit? If yes, why?
Old October 3rd 07, 07:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Make sure you really need a folder, and not just a bike with small wheels.

I thought I would need a folder for my intermodal commute (bike/city
bus/train), so I bought a Bike Friday with 20" wheels. Daily folding /
unfolding became tedious.

OK

My small-wheeled bike is less obtrusive on the train, and much easier on
stairs and escalators (compared with a full-sized bike).

Am confused....what bike is your bike with "small
wheels"? is it NOT a folder but just a reg bike with
say 20" wheels on it?

Or.... did you mean that your Bike Friday IS your bike
with small wheels

Confused
Old October 3rd 07, 07:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I bought a Bike Friday with 20" wheels. Daily folding /
unfolding became tedious.

Was the Bike Friday THAT much of a hassle to
fold/unfold daily?
Old October 3rd 07, 10:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Scott Gordo:
Has anybody used a brand that I *think* is "Zoot" or "Xoot"?
PeteCresswell

Funny, I was just talking to a guy about this yesterday on the subway.
He had a Swift Folder. He said it's the same bike.

That's the one. I has fixated on "Xooter", which looks tb the
model name and not the brand.

It folded *really* quickly and easily.

Although there's no "official" place to put the handlebar stem it
lays on top quite nicely and a couple pieces of bungee would hold
it just fine.

Dunno about the folded size - as far as getting on/off trains is
concerned... but just sitting on it and riding it a few feet, if
felt much more like a "real bike" than the other folders I've
tried.
--
PeteCresswell
Old October 3rd 07, 10:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per (PeteCresswell):
I has fixated on "Xooter"

SHB "I had fixated on "Xootr"...
--
PeteCresswell
Old October 4th 07, 12:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Scott Gordo:
Swift Folder.

Not to go on-and-on... but another thing that impressed about the
bike was it's form factor when folded. The main frame member was
right *there* where my hand hung down when standing next to it,
it was a comfortable grip, and the whole thing was perfectly
balanced. i.e. It's conspicuously easy to carry when folded.
--
PeteCresswell