How do you remove the "spider" from a Cook Brothers crank?

Old November 15th 07, 07:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones

Default How do you remove the "spider" from a Cook Brothers crank?

I have removed the little torx screw that held the spider to the crank
arm. I thought it would slip off now; however, it still feels pretty
solid.

I was tempted to apply BFH, but I thought I'd ask first. Any other
suggestions?

Jones

Old November 15th 07, 10:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 18:30:58 GMT, in rec.bicycles.tech !Jones
wrote:

I have removed the little torx screw that held the spider to the crank
arm. I thought it would slip off now; however, it still feels pretty
solid.

I was tempted to apply BFH, but I thought I'd ask first. Any other
suggestions?

Jones

A little more info: I think the cranks are called "RSR" cranks.
They're *NOT* F-series and they're not "dog bonz". They look like
this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Cook-Bros-Racing...QQcmdZViewItem

That's a URL that'll go out of scope fairly quickly.

It looks like I press it off, but I want to make sure before I bring
the 10-ton hydraulic ram down upon it.

Jones

Old November 16th 07, 05:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JeffWills

this:http://cgi.ebay.com/Cook-Bros-Racing...ge-NEW_W0QQite...

That's a URL that'll go out of scope fairly quickly.

It looks like I press it off, but I want to make sure before I bring
the 10-ton hydraulic ram down upon it.

Umm... why? If you're never going to put a spider on the cranks again,
then go for it. IIRC, these types of cranks had a reputation for
squeaking at the spider/crank joint- if you get it apart, will it ever
get together again?

OT question- are you related to ? of "? and the Mysterians" ???

Jeff
Old November 16th 07, 02:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 20:35:40 -0800 (PST), in rec.bicycles.tech
JeffWills wrote:

Umm... why? If you're never going to put a spider on the cranks again,
then go for it. IIRC, these types of cranks had a reputation for
squeaking at the spider/crank joint- if you get it apart, will it ever
get together again?

I want to mount a double chain ring to act as a tandem timing gear,
that's all. I can't get the longer mounting bolt through one of the
holes because the crank arm is too close. I thought the spider would
pop right off... apparently not! But, if you're not *supposed* to
take them apart, then there's a different approach, so your reply is,
indeed, helpful. All I gotta do is figure out how to do it without
removing the spider.

OT question- are you related to ? of "? and the Mysterians" ???

I'm Smith. In the '70s, there was a popular TV series called "Alias
Smith and Jones", so I was called "Jones" in Vietnam... but I'm "not
Jones".

Jones
Old November 16th 07, 02:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James Thomson

"!Jones" a écrit:

I was tempted to apply BFH, but I thought I'd ask first. Any other
suggestions?

I don't know, but Cook Bros are still in business. Maybe a call to them
would help:

http://www.cookbros.com/

This Bikepro page has some details on the CBR and RSR cranks that might help
you identify which you have:

http://www.bikepro.com/products/cranks/cooks.html

Likewise, there's a catalogue scan on the Retrobike.co.uk site:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/gal...2_itemId=10188

HTH

James Thomson

Old November 16th 07, 02:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James Thomson

"!Jones" a écrit:

I want to mount a double chain ring to act as a tandem timing
gear, that's all. I can't get the longer mounting bolt through
one of the holes because the crank arm is too close.

All I gotta do is figure out how to do it without removing the
spider.

Track or singlespeed chainring *nut* through from the crank side and long
bolt through from the back?

James Thomson

Old November 16th 07, 09:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 14:46:02 +0100, in rec.bicycles.tech "James
Thomson" wrote:

"!Jones" a écrit:

I want to mount a double chain ring to act as a tandem timing
gear, that's all. I can't get the longer mounting bolt through
one of the holes because the crank arm is too close.

All I gotta do is figure out how to do it without removing the
spider.

Track or singlespeed chainring *nut* through from the crank side and long
bolt through from the back?

James Thomson

Yeah, I held my mouth just right and that worked. I always thought
the spiders were easily removed... guess not.

Jones

Old November 16th 07, 09:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 14:42:18 +0100, in rec.bicycles.tech "James
Thomson" wrote:

"!Jones" a écrit:

I was tempted to apply BFH, but I thought I'd ask first. Any other
suggestions?

I don't know, but Cook Bros are still in business. Maybe a call to them
would help:

http://www.cookbros.com/

This Bikepro page has some details on the CBR and RSR cranks that might help
you identify which you have:

They're only marginally in business. They're not filling any orders,
so I doubt they're offering any customer service. Their site says
they're selling bikes; however, I have friends who have tried to get
one. CBR just never answers.

Jones

Old November 17th 07, 05:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JeffWills

On Nov 16, 12:31 pm, !Jones wrote:

Track or singlespeed chainring *nut* through from the crank side and long
bolt through from the back?

James Thomson

Yeah, I held my mouth just right and that worked. I always thought
the spiders were easily removed... guess not.

Jones

IIRC, that's how it's *supposed* to work. I've worked on plenty of
"hidden bolt" cranks- that last bolt only works if it's got a track
nut on the crank side of the chainring.

Holy carp- I remember watching "Alias Smith and Jones". Does that make
me an old fogey?

Jeff