This oughta rattle his cage

Old September 7th 15, 08:42 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Default This oughta rattle his cage

Better not come to WA Mickey. Oh, that's right, you can't, you have to have a clean criminal record and you don't.

Western Australia allocates funds for developing mountain bike trails

Mr Fulton said WA is already a leader when it comes to mountain biking but said there's still room for the state to capitalise on what is claimed to be one of the world's fastest growing sports.

"WA is definitely leading the country when it comes to the strategy that we're now implementing," Mr Fulton said.
"The environment we've got is quite is unique, the landscape, the weather and those sorts of things makes for a great destination to come to mountain bike."

Mr Fulton, a cyclist for more than 20 years, said his favourite trails include Goat Farm, near Perth, and tracks in the Kalamunda-Mundaring region.
"We've got some fantastic trails already and some right on our door step in Perth and areas like Margaret River and Pemberton," he said.
"There's going to be huge growth in those areas."
Mr Fulton expects sites for new trails to be identified and constructed in those areas.

"I think the key point out of this will ultimately lead to more trails on the ground," he said.

"Now we're at the cusp of the most exciting time for mountain biking in WA."
Sport and Recreation Minister Mia Davies said funding will go to WestCycle, the state's peak cycling body, and the WA Mountain Bike Association to deliver recommendations from the strategy, released earlier this year.
"One recommendation was increasing female participation, which currently sits at about 12 per cent," she said.

In WA, 23 per cent of the general population rides a bike every week, making the state's per capita participation rate the highest in the country, according to the Australian Bicycle Council.
"So, some funds will go towards developing female-friendly strategies, like a programme in Karratha which has successfully encouraged women to get involved in mountain biking," Ms Davies said.
Environment Minister Albert Jacob said about 120,000 mountain bikes were purchased each year in WA and almost half a million West Australians now owned a mountain bike.

"The Department of Parks and Wildlife is proud of the trails it has created, which showcase the natural beauty of our state," Mr Jacob said.

"Mountain biking is a healthy, family-friendly activity that caters for a range of ages and levels.

"It also has important flow-on economic, social and tourism benefits, all of which the strategy aims to maximise."

Old September 8th 15, 03:58 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

On Monday, September 7, 2015 at 12:42:11 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Better not come to WA Mickey. Oh, that's right, you can't, you have to have a clean criminal record and you don't.

Yes, I do. But, as you well know, Australia was created by a bunch of criminals. And it shows!

Introducing children to mountain biking is CRIMINAL. Mountain biking, besides being expensive and very environmentally destructive, is extremely dangerous. Recently a 12-year-old girl DIED during her very first mountain biking lesson! Another became quadriplegic at 13! Serious accidents and even deaths are commonplace. Truth be told, mountain bikers want to introduce kids to mountain biking because (1) they want more people to help them lobby to open our precious natural areas to mountain biking and (2) children are too naive to understand and object to this activity. For 500+ examples of serious accidents and deaths caused by mountain biking, see http://mjvande.nfshost.com/mtb_dangerous.htm.

Bicycles should not be allowed in any natural area. They are inanimate objects and have no rights. There is also no right to mountain bike. That was settled in federal court in 1996: http://mjvande.nfshost.com/mtb10.htm . It's dishonest of mountain bikers to say that they don't have access to trails closed to bikes. They have EXACTLY the same access as everyone else -- ON FOOT! Why isn't that good enough for mountain bikers? They are all capable of walking....

A favorite myth of mountain bikers is that mountain biking is no more harmful to wildlife, people, and the environment than hiking, and that science supports that view. Of course, it's not true. To settle the matter once and for all, I read all of the research they cited, and wrote a review of the research on mountain biking impacts (see http://mjvande.nfshost.com/scb7.htm ). I found that of the seven studies they cited, (1) all were written by mountain bikers, and (2) in every case, the authors misinterpreted their own data, in order to come to the conclusion that they favored. They also studiously avoided mentioning another scientific study (Wisdom et al) which did not favor mountain biking, and came to the opposite conclusions.

Those were all experimental studies. Two other studies (by White et al and by Jeff Marion) used a survey design, which is inherently incapable of answering that question (comparing hiking with mountain biking). I only mention them because mountain bikers often cite them, but scientifically, they are worthless.

Mountain biking accelerates erosion, creates V-shaped ruts, kills small animals and plants on and next to the trail, drives wildlife and other trail users out of the area, and, worst of all, teaches kids that the rough treatment of nature is okay (it's NOT!). What's good about THAT?

For more information: http://mjvande.nfshost.com/mtbfaq.htm .