Mr.Tuffy liner for road bikes ok? Or 2nd tube?

Old August 31st 17, 07:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Mr.Tuffy liner for road bikes ok? Or 2nd tube?

Yesterday I had another two (!) sidewall punctures. Long story short I
will definitely not recommend CST Conquistare tires. Wore out in less
than 1200mi and then weakened which is just unacceptable. So thumbs down
from me.

This brings up two questions:

1. The Mr.Tuffy orange liners for 700c narrow tires. They must be laid
in with a wee overlap. Will that overlap cause a 700c 25mm tire at
110psi to run bumpy? Like whop .. whop .. whop every time the overlap
comes around?

2. What about taking a second (otherwise discarded) thorn-resistant
tube, slit it open on the inside and slide it over the real
thorn-resistant as a 2nd layer?

The problem is that Kenda seems to have discontinued selling
thorn-resistant tubes with good and most of all same thickness all
around but now the thickness tapers off towards the sidewalls. That's
where they fail. Same for Sunlite which I had to re-order yesterday
because those things are essentially unfixable with those thin REMA patches.

Any words of wisdom? As usual, weight absolutely does not matter.

In case anyone knows: I read somewhere that smugglers "inflate" their
vehicle tires with some sort of hardening sealant (Silicone?
Construction foam?) that makes the tires bullet-proof. What material is
it and how do they get it in there thoroughly enough? Would it be good
for a couple of thousand miles?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old August 31st 17, 08:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 8/31/2017 1:55 PM, Joerg wrote:
[...]

Not anything new:
http://www.americanindustrialtire.com/foamfilled.htm

See your local skid-steer equipment dealer

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 31st 17, 09:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 2:55:06 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
[...]

Fill tubes with wet concrete, allow to hardern = no more flats. VBEG LOL

Cheers
Old August 31st 17, 09:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 12:20:53 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

He should get the Nashbar Conestoga wheels: http://galleryplus.ebayimg.com/ws/we...4778_1_0_1.jpg They come with a custom rock for roadside repairs. Just type in the discount code ROCK4U.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old August 31st 17, 10:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 11:55:06 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
[...]

As usual - no. Weight from Mr. Tuffy's is insignificant. Construction foam would cause a tire to fail almost immediately. First by breaking it up into chunks and then collapsing it.

There is tubeless tires and sealant but these will not handle cuts or tears in the sidewalls of fat tires. If you can get the tube type from which you can extract the presta fitting then you can put in large amounts of sealant into the tube. When using this sealant you have to always stop or park the bike with the fill on the bottom of the wheel.

All presta valves used to screw out but the times I've tried it recently was on cheap tubes and they were somehow fixed inside the nozzle.
Old August 31st 17, 10:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

[...]

Never saw that stuff before. What I did see was tires willed with polyurethane foam that hardened. Pretty screwed up.

This stuff looks like it will solve Joerg's problem. Though it ain't for road tires.
Old September 1st 17, 01:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

[...]

Those who are serious about not getting flats make their own mr tuffys from old tires

Old September 1st 17, 01:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 8/31/2017 2:55 PM, Joerg wrote:
[...]

Have you tried these? https://www.schwalbetires.com/flat-less

No personal experience, but I remembered seeing the ad somewhere.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 1st 17, 02:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 31 Aug 2017 11:55:10 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

[...]

I don't know about smugglers but yes you can buy foam to use in tires.
See
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgv4UiDQa74
http://www.accellatirefill.com/

and I assume other sites.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 1st 17, 04:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doc O'Leary[_21_]

For your reference, records indicate that
Joerg wrote:

Any words of wisdom? As usual, weight absolutely does not matter.

In case anyone knows: I read somewhere that smugglers "inflate" their
vehicle tires with some sort of hardening sealant (Silicone?
Construction foam?) that makes the tires bullet-proof. What material is
it and how do they get it in there thoroughly enough? Would it be good
for a couple of thousand miles?

Well, if weight really isn’t an issue, people do already make airless/
air-free bicycle tires. Foam rubber of varying density to simulate
different air pressures. I had a friend who considered them some years
back, but they *really* are not light.

--
"Also . . . I can kill you with my brain."
River Tam, Trash, Firefly

Slime liner sliced my inner tube Kooky45 UK 21 October 31st 07 11:24 PM
CF Bike Shatters Top Tube and Down Tube after hitting a Road Divot Kenny Techniques 152 August 23rd 07 12:56 AM
FA: Slime Tube Protector - puncture prevention tyre liner x2 Timothy Baldwin UK 0 January 31st 05 10:08 PM
Mr. Tuffy bit my tube! Pat General 4 January 16th 05 07:56 PM
Head tube size: road bikes generically speaking Mark Hickey Techniques 0 March 21st 04 04:08 PM