Bike rental/hire in Dorset/Devon UK

Old October 14th 07, 06:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
mtb Dad

Default Bike rental/hire in Dorset/Devon UK

Not sure if this belongs in rec.misc?

Thinking of a family cycling holiday in Dorset/Devon UK next summer.
I'm looking at costs of flying bikes over vs renting there. We would
need light touring bikes, triples, with light baggage racks, for two
adults and two preteens, preferably tiagra quality or higher. Any
thoughts?

Old October 14th 07, 07:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling
A.Lee

mtb Dad wrote:

Not sure if this belongs in rec.misc?

Thinking of a family cycling holiday in Dorset/Devon UK next summer.
I'm looking at costs of flying bikes over vs renting there. We would
need light touring bikes, triples, with light baggage racks, for two
adults and two preteens, preferably tiagra quality or higher. Any
thoughts?

Not sure where to rent, but I'll cross-post to uk.rec.cycling where
you'll get a better response.
Alan.

Old October 14th 07, 11:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
p.k.[_2_]

mtb Dad wrote:
Not sure if this belongs in rec.misc?

Thinking of a family cycling holiday in Dorset/Devon UK next summer.
I'm looking at costs of flying bikes over vs renting there. We would
need light touring bikes, triples, with light baggage racks, for two
adults and two preteens, preferably tiagra quality or higher. Any
thoughts?

try posting to uk.rec.cycling

pk

Old October 15th 07, 01:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling

On Oct 14, 1:21 pm, Gerald H wrote:
In article ,
says...

Thinking of a family cycling holiday in Dorset/Devon UK next summer.
I'm looking at costs of flying bikes over vs renting there. We would
need light touring bikes, triples, with light baggage racks, for two
adults and two preteens, preferably tiagra quality or higher. Any
thoughts?

Not sure where to rent, but I'll cross-post to uk.rec.cycling where
you'll get a better response.
Alan.

There is a hire place in Charminster, Bournemouth called "on yer Bike"
which several people I know have used without problems.www.onyerbike.co.ukis their website I think...

Thanks. I have written to them for info.

Old October 15th 07, 03:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 10:56:38 -0700, in rec.bicycles.tech mtb Dad
wrote:

Not sure if this belongs in rec.misc?

Thinking of a family cycling holiday in Dorset/Devon UK next summer.
I'm looking at costs of flying bikes over vs renting there. We would
need light touring bikes, triples, with light baggage racks, for two
adults and two preteens, preferably tiagra quality or higher. Any
thoughts?

We ride tandem and usually rent as opposed to shipping a bike. I have
found that, in the US, anyway, I generally get very poor equipment.
My worst story is from Chicago where I reserved a high-quality tandem
only to learn that all they had was a very cheap piece of junk. After
two hours, we took it back and they wanted to charge me the two-day
rental. They threatened to call the police, so I paid and charged
fraud to the credit card company... they finally settled for $36
(+tax) for less than two hours on a piece of s**t bike.

I have had better luck in Europe. The 600 lb gorillia of the bicycle
rental business is liability insurance. Try to find a shop that
doesn't do rentals and make an offerwith a waiver. It has never
worked, but it sounds like a good idea.

Jones

Old October 15th 07, 12:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling

Thinking of a family cycling holiday in Dorset/Devon UK next summer.
I'm looking at costs of flying bikes over vs renting there.

"Saddles and Paddles" in Exeter.

It's on the quayside, right on NCR2.

http://www.saddlepaddle.co.uk/

fboab

Old October 15th 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling
mtb Dad

On Oct 15, 4:42 am, wrote:
Thinking of a family cycling holiday in Dorset/Devon UK next summer.
I'm looking at costs of flying bikes over vs renting there.

"Saddles and Paddles" in Exeter.

It's on the quayside, right on NCR2.

http://www.saddlepaddle.co.uk/

fboab

They don't seem to carry the kind of bike I mentioned. Just hybrids
and cruiser type bikes.

Old October 15th 07, 06:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling
mtb Dad

On Oct 14, 1:21 pm, Gerald H wrote:
In article ,
says...

Thinking of a family cycling holiday in Dorset/Devon UK next summer.
I'm looking at costs of flying bikes over vs renting there. We would
need light touring bikes, triples, with light baggage racks, for two
adults and two preteens, preferably tiagra quality or higher. Any
thoughts?

Not sure where to rent, but I'll cross-post to uk.rec.cycling where
you'll get a better response.
Alan.

There is a hire place in Charminster, Bournemouth called "on yer Bike"
which several people I know have used without problems.www.onyerbike.co.ukis their website I think...

Thanks but they don't seem to have the kind of bike I referred to.

Bike Hire Melbourne Dominic Sansom Australia 37 August 30th 05 04:58 AM
NYC bike rental Ron Wallenfang General 0 January 11th 05 03:39 AM
Bike Hire Sydney Dominic Sansom Australia 0 November 6th 04 11:52 PM
Bike Shop: Devon [email protected] UK 9 June 5th 04 11:34 AM
Bike hire Fraggle UK 21 August 9th 03 08:50 PM